United States
Flatland Series
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 56s
Overall Rank = 60/294
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Up early for breakfast. Gathered my gear, and quickly became quite happy I decided to get up early. I attempted to mount my bike rack to my hitch receiver, only to find the protective cap to the receiver lock had fallen off sometime over the winter. The lock was corroded so badly the key wouldn't fit. After a brief attempt to clear the gunk with a nail, it became obvious to me that I wouldn't have enough time to fix it. I pulled the baby seat and child seat out of the Jeep, folded down the seats, and prayed the bike would fit. It did...by half an inch! Off to the race.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the pond a bit after setting up in transition. Saw a couple of the orthopedic surgeons from DMOS and chatted until race time.
Run
  • 13m 57s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt a bit tight, but it was exciting to be back in a multisport event for the first time in a couple of years.
What would you do differently?:

I should have warmed up a bit more, and a bit closer to start time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Don't ask me why I was dawdling in transition today.
Bike
  • 48m 40s
  • 18 miles
  • 22.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I certainly enjoyed the boost provided by the switch to a tri bike. This was well over 2mph faster on average than any rides in my past. It is more motivation to find the time to train more on the bike. I was frustrated to have a peloton of 9 riders go by me at about mile 12. It would have been easy to join them, but that would have ruined a good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Stopped for a drink, and to take off my long-sleeved shirt. More precious seconds wasted. It's no wonder my transition ranks were 133rd and 173rd!
What would you do differently?:

Remember that I'm losing hard-earned seconds when in T1 and T2. I should probably get tri shoes for the bike too. The strap and rachet combo on my road bike shoes takes some time.
Run
  • 17m 34s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

No time for a warm-down. I had to get to my granfather-in-law's 90th birthday celebration by 10:30am (I finished the race at 9:22 or so). I begged the transition keeper (answer me these questions three...) to release my bike over an hour early, and thankfully he let me. Tossed it into the Jeep and headed home. By 10:05 I was showered, dressed, and on my way to the party with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mindset. I'm not sure why, because I had fun preparing for and running the race. Maybe having multiple family events/obligations this weekend after a long work week, and having to work tonight on the day of the race, all made it a bit too hectic to focus well on the race.

The whole race I found myself struggling with a lack of urgency. Kind of a Sunday drive at times. But I also didn't much care, and for some reason I still don't even though it probably cost me a few spots in rank. I had fun, and next time I hope I'll remember to push myself a little harder. As a good friend has been known to say, "This is a race, dammit, go!".

Event comments:

This was a great experience, and I was impressed with the organization and level of competition. Plus, what other race can you see the race director out on the course giving out high fives, shortly after he sang the national anthem himself to kick off the race?!? I wish I could have stayed for the post-race festivities.

Last updated: 2010-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:57 | 02 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 66/294
Performance: Average
Course: Flat in the parking lot of Jordan Creek Mall. Two out-and-back loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:52
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:48:40 | 18 miles | 22.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 68/294
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out-and-back on a county road, downhill and with the wind on the way out (whee!), and a steady 5-10mph headwind on the way back. The big hill that was so much fun at mile 2 on the way out wasn't nearly as friendly at mile 17 on the way in. Not so nice to get such quad burn just before run #2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:34 | 02.5 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 48/294
Performance: Average
Course: Same course as the first run, with an added half mile loop around the pond at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes