Racine MultiSports
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 22s
Overall Rank = 14/45
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Day prior: cleaned my bike chain, filled drink bottles, packed car and transition bag. Race morning: Wake up at "O dark thirty" (4:30 AM), grab coffee, protein mix, whole wheat bagel w/raspberries and peanut butter, and glass of Kefir. On the road at about 5:30. Race site is close as it's only a little over 1/2 hour away. After registration, head down to park near transition. Transition is first come, first serve and I grabbed a spot near the bike in/out area. I like to jog/run a bit more through transition to the run out so I get my legs going a little sooner.
Event warmup:

As I also had my road bike with me, I took a short ride out to the run part that I had missed when I was running on the course the week prior. Saw that there was a hill to prepare for and a downhill after that around mile 2. Then I jogged where I could when going back and forth from the car. Just before the race, I jogged a bit on the course too.
Run
  • 22m 19s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided since it was relatively cool to just wear my headband and not worry about my visor. The wind was picking up and it might not stay on anyway. As this was my first race of the season and I really wasn't up to par with the end of last year when I was doing sub-7s, I decided to stay back at the start until I could settle in a bit. I also had to consider the second run of 6 miles. I stuck with a tri buddy, Mark N, just a bit but found I could move a bit faster and started to kick up my pace a bit more. Just before mile 1, I turned into the wind and it actually felt rather refreshing. I continued to pick up my pace just a notch more and settled after mile 1. Still passed a few people here and there. Before mile 2, I actually thought I saw the guy who would eventually be the top one in my AG and this gave me some confidence on how I was running. I was able to use the two fairly long downhills to my advantage and passed a few more folks on those. Coming around the lake near the end of the first run and into transition I'm actually feeling pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Not much for the first run. I really needed more early training and a good deal less weight to be up to where I was as the end of last season. But, I finished the run 11th overall so I must've really sped up from how I started.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Since transition is small and I racked near the end, I didn't have any problems getting through here. No real problems with shoes either which was good. I'm actually already out but I did have a slight pause getting on the bike.

Perhaps before the tri I can practice getting into shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 26s
  • 23.7 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I know I had a relatively fast transition and a decent run because several guys who are stronger than me on the bike (or lighter or both) pass me in the first few miles of the bike. Now after about the first mile I shift to my small chainring and as I'm standing, there seems to be some gear slipage. Gosh, I really don't need another North East mechanical (I DNF'd there on the bike). But, this doesn't seem to go on and I am able to continue. As I'm reaching the first short climb, a few other guys pass me :-( I'm not liking this but I remember I have to save something for the 2nd run. As I'm finishing this and getting into a short S curve, one of the guys up ahead has crashed! He seems okay and I ask him if he is, but don't get an answer. Looks okay so I continue. I round the turn to go onto Raven Rock road and two more guys pass me (Argh!). But, as I get onto the downhill portion, I kick things into high gear and pass at least one of these guys. I don't see him again :-) I keep the other guy in sight but I can't get closer. The wind is smacking me in the face here and impeding some of my progress. So, I just maintain what I can as I zoom down the road. Next sharp turn and coming up to some rough road. I had ridden the course a couple of times so I knew what to expect here. After clearing the rough part, this next part is mostly down hill to the next turn and I took it for all I could until the next turn. Just after that, three other guys pass me! I'm just feeling so slow here. Now I actually keep two of these in sight for the next three miles so I don't feel quite as bad later. This part of the course is a small loop of three miles and the road isn't the best. Plus there are short hills here which I have to stand on for just a bit, so they're adding to killing my speed. And coming onto this one road, there's first a pickup truck and then a maintenance truck! Just barely enough room. Fortunately, there's really not too much traffic this morning overall. Finish this small loop and I still have the two guys in sight as I start to head back. Now it's a bit of an uphill getting back to Raven Rock. As I make the right onto Raven Rock, I see a few guys on the other side heading back. Hey, recognize the one guy from Frederick, Kevin Clark. Kevin's strong on the bike and the run, so I'm not surprised to see him up there. Then I see a large group of guys on the other side and this actually helps my overall mental state as in maybe I'm not doing as bad here as I thought. The one guy is still in front of me as we turn around on Raven Rock Road to head back the last 7 miles. As I turn around, there is no one behind me and not down the road either! This is a confidence booster and I charge ahead. A short downhill and now the fun begins. It's all uphill for about 3 miles! This one guy is still in front of me too. So, not losing any ground here. I am feeling okay as I smartly spin up the hill and try not to overly exert myself as the next run is coming up. Fortunately, the wind is behind me now and helping, thank goodness. Finally, after Hell's Delight (yes, that's a road), the climb is easier and I shift up to get moving again. Just before the top of this climb, I'm actually able to pass this guy which really boost morale! But, after a couple of last short hills, he passes me again as we take the final downhill coming back. What a rush the last downhill is, BTW!! Final turn to a nice straightaway and I start getting out of my shoes. My one hamstring cramps a little but I relax and get my foot out. Swing my leg over, balance on one leg slowing to dismount, and hit the ground running right at the dismount line! Blasting into T2!

LOSE WEIGHT!! I actually thought I did better than my overall speed indicates. But, I guess as I was 16th on the bike that perhaps not as many people passed me as I thought. Of course, maybe all the relay folks passed me too. See T2...
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

This is a great T2 time for me!! It must've been similar to the Gino's Race Duatlon T2 where I knew I was just blazing out of there. I've very pleased with this time! Number's already on, headband is already on, so just had to get on shoes and grab my hydration belt. As I head out, give Race Director Ken Racine five who's tells me basically that I'm looking good. Then I realize the guy who I had been following for most of the bike segment was a relay person and his running partner headed out of transition just before me. So, maybe there were others on the bike like this.

Nothing that I can think of. It was smooth and fast!
Run
  • 48m 18s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

As I head out of transition, I see the run relay person up ahead and she looks like she's going the wrong way as she's on the right side of the street heading into the folks coming back on the run course. So, I mention this to her and she does seem a bit confused. She said she wasn't sure and then she said she'd just follow me. That's okay with me but I leave her behind shortly thereafter. Now on the first loop and legs are not happy. Matter of fact, they're acting like they want to cramp up! I'm not listening to them " LA LA LA LA LA", but they are quite loud in complaining themselves. So, I just keep ensuring I'm taking Clif Bloks and my carb/electro drink at appropriate times. Near the first mile, I actually welcomed the breeze as I was feeling a bit warm. On this run, I decided just to take a bit of water here and there buy mostly pour it on my head to keep cool. The electro/carb drink will do the rest. I'm nearing the first hill for the first time on this 2nd run and I see one guy pause. Looks like his legs aren't treating him well and worse than mine. So, I see a bit of an opportunity here. Go up the hill and I'm then able to use gravity to my advantage on the downhill and pass him. Recognize him as one of the guys on the bike that passed me earlier. Don't see him again. Then come up to the next hill and see a gal there who starts walking. She yells that she hates hills! Me Too! But, I muster something for this one on the first loop and charge down the hill to the lake. I see tri friend Mark N on his second lap and I yell "I'm coming Mark!". Mark says he doesn't have much for the run but he's a strong cyclist, taking 1st overall on the bike for this race. Maybe I can catch him? Will see. Rounding the lake nearing completion of the first loop and I'm feeling okay though getting tired. A few folks tell me I'm looking good and I yell back that I hope I'm looking good on the next lap! Okay finish lap one. But, as I turn and go up a short hill, I'm really feeling this run now. Not good, but press on. Take the downhills when I can to pick up speed. Up the next hill and legs are just not moving well. I thank the folks clapping for me anyway. Round the top and the welcome the wind again. The cooling effect helps me pick up my pace just slightly. And I seem to be moving a bit better as I think I'm possibly closing the gap between myself and two guys up ahead. After taking a bit of water, I see that I'm definitely closing on one and after a bit, pass him at about the 4 1/2 mile mark just before the next significant hill. We exchange words of encouragement as I pass and I also see he's in my AG. The hill is upon me and I'm taking short, quick steps up it. Ugh! But, charge again best I can downhill and carry a bit of momentum on the straight section leading to the last significant hill. Panting up this one now, taking it in short but quick steps. Round the corner and try to charge again on the last downhill, but it's actually a bit of an effort to do this as my legs keep complaining. Now on the last bit rounding the lake. I think I was still gaining on this other guy, but there's not enough distance now to the finish. Last corner and let gravity help me one last time. There's just a slight uphill to the finish but gosh at this point it seems steep! Put together what I have left and pump arms/legs to the finish! Whew!

See Bike - LOSE WEIGHT! But, I also have to train a good bit more if I want to do well in early season races.
Post race
Warm down:

I have to pause just a moment while I have the folks take my chip and number info. Race Director Ken Racine is there and asks me if I'm okay. I say that I am, just moving a bit slow and have to recompose myself. Grab water and head over to the food area cuz I need it. It looks like from the few folks here that perhaps I did okay. I was going to get a massage but they were $10 for 10 min and I just didn't want to spend the money. Chat with a Tom G from Richmond for a while as we discussed this and different races. Listened for my number in case I won any of the raffle prizes. Hey, those I could've used. Alas, not today. Stuck around for awards and the met up with Frederick triathlete Kevin Clark. Told him he took 3rd overall! He actually seemed surprised and went over to the awards area. He got his medal and a nice glass trophy which he seemed tickled with.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just the fact that I weigh far too much for this early season race and also that I had not trained at race speeds very much.

Event comments:

Though the long uphill make this course a bit more challenging than I'd like, I thought the course overall was okay. The long downhill more than makes up for it and I've been on similar courses. It would've been more of a downer if the wind had been at my face during the uphill, though. The back roads were chewed up pretty badly by the harsh winter here. Hopefully, that will change in future years. The small number of people I actually like more as it's not as crowded on the bike. Good food afterwards and Quiznos also setup not too far away, though not many people visited them since there was a small crowd and a good amount for the racers. I think this one will only grow as word spreads. Now, though I finish 4th in AG, technically I'm 3rd because the top guy in our AG wins Top Male Masters. Lost to the guy before me by 22 sec and the one before that by 2 min. We were all fairly close in the run sections and so the bike actually held me back today. And, BTW, my AG happened to be the largest for this race whcih is interesting as usually it's the 3 AGs before mine. Well, more training and less weight is obviously necessary. On to the next one!

Last updated: 2010-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:19 | 03 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 11/45
Performance: Good
Course: Around the roads of Ft Ritchie. Has 4 hills with 2 of them being somewhat significant. The rest has fairly long flat stretches.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:20:26 | 23.7 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 16/45
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This out and back course is fairly hilly. There's a few short uphills leaving and a long downhill for several miles to the next turn. Then more rolling hills than anything else. Coming back on that long downhill is now a fairly long uphill for a few miles, a pretty significant speed average killer for folks who aren't good climbers. A few short uphills and then a good downhill just before the turn to go to transition. I indicated rough though Raven Rock Road is really smooth on the shoulder.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:18 | 06 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 9/45
Performance: Average
Course: The same as the first run except now there are two loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-16 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Fort Ritchie Duathlon

2010-05-23 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2862211

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Fort Ritchie Duathlon
Dave, you had a great race and a nice beginning to the season!Cool
The bike portion is too hilly for me, but you are strong on the bike, congrats again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Ritchie Duathlon Rss Feed