General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 46s
Overall Rank = 392/489
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 50/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and had a bowl of Cheerios. Grabbed my gear and headed for Tempe. Got transition set up and talked to a couple of friends. The lines for body marking and chip pickup were long but moved rather quickly. As race time approached, I got my wetsuit on and headed to the lake.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching but should have got some blood in my muscles by doing some jogging or something.
Swim
  • 10m 9s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. Had a bit of a jockey at the beginning as everyone was trying to get a position to swim at. The first buoy was very busy with everyone trying to round it but then it loosened up and I was able to draft. I didn't swim super fast but I was happy with my effort. Still need to get some level of propulsion from a kick. I had problems at the stairs because I didn't know where the 1st step was and it ended up being just under the water level. I'll know for next time.
What would you do differently?:

Work on kicking and get out of the water faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I was a little winded on the run to T1. I think if I would have warmed up my HR would have been a bit lower. Got to T1 and the level of dead grass on my feet and everything was amazing. Tried to get it all off but eventually just put my socks on over it. Still having a little problem with my strap on my helmet closing but I think I just need to practice it a few more times. I'm sure I could take at least :30 of my time in T1. I did have a long run with my bike to the mount line and in my shoes was a bit of a challenge.

Try not to sit down to get shoes on and practice my helmet strap.
Bike
  • 44m 16s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I got on the bike and was very thirsty. I was poorly hydrated and was trying to make up for it on the bike. Never got enough fluid in me to take away the thirsty feeling. Hills were harder than I trained for and people were flying by me the whole bike. My HR was about 160 for the whole race which was a bit high for where I would like it to be. I had a good speed except the hills killed my overall time on the bike. I would like to get it below 40 min. At the very end I dropped my water bottle trying to get it back in the cage and lost it. Getting off he bike was fine.

Work on hills a lot. Get my aero position more comfortable and pre-hydrate.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

T2 went well. Didn't have to do much except change shoes. Could probably cut :20 off my time somewhere. Had a long run with the bike to rack it but it slid in easily.

Not much.
Run
  • 36m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is always my weak point where I'm losing a lot of time to other competitors. When I started off I had stomach cramping and mentally had to keep it together. I walked a little to see if I could get it to pass but ended up just running and it went away. Came back at 1 1/2 - 2 miles. I ran more than any other race I've done and walked for only 10-20 seconds at a time. The stairs slowed me down but I ran everything from then on. I was ok with my time because it is about where I have been running at.

Work on the run and pre-hydrate so I don't take in so much water on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and headed back to transition to get it packed up. Had the bottle of water they were handing out at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical fitness and hydration/stomach cramping issues. I need to work on riding hills and running.

Event comments:

I'm glad that I signed up for the sprint because I was in no condition to do the Oly today. I did not have proper nutrition, sleep or hydration for the Oly. I would like to do the Oly next year.

Last updated: 2010-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:09 | 437 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/56
Overall: 0/489
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 Full
Course: 4 buoy square course. Time includes run to T1.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:16 | 12.43 miles | 16.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/56
1 loop
Wind: Little
Course: A little bit of everything course. Out toward the airport and then back toward campus. Headed North toward Scottsdale and then back over Mill Ave bridge to transition. A few hills up and down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:04 | 03.11 miles | 11m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/56
Course: 1 lap around TTL Mill - Rural - Mill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 2:27 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-17 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2862435

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon
Great Job! Sorry you had some issues but seems you had a good race overall! Those stairs were cruel weren't they :-)! Congrats!
2010-05-17 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Good RR. Congrats on another finish!
2010-05-17 10:57 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job and enjoyable race report.  You will figure out the issues you had with time, training and experience!  Way to go!!

2010-05-18 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Good job, Todd! Was great getting a swim in with you, Wendall, and Daryl in prep for this race! Wasn't sure, you doing Tribal sprint @ Pleasant on Memorial Day weekend? I remember asking you.....................
2010-05-18 7:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed