General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT - Florida International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

FIT - Florida International Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Siesta Key, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Coffee and half a PB banana sandwich. Pumped up my tires. Ate a mini larabar 20 minutes before my start.
Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 09m 48s
  • 437 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started way in the back and outside since this was my first tri and I'm not a good swimmer. I was expecting to be last. Before I knew it I was passing everyone in my wave. It was so weird. I couldn't really swim with any form because I was getting hit in the face with water and swallowing it but somehow I was still faster than the people doing proper swimming around me. I was really worried about getting kicked when I was passing so I kept an arm out front most of the time. When we made the final turn I thought that would be the easy part but the waves seemed to be dragging me out rather than taking me in. Made it through the swim and was 4th out of the water in my AG. I was so shocked.
What would you do differently?:

Won't start so far in the back next time. Probably could have had a much better time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

Ran in, put my helmet on, glasses on, garmin on, sprayed off feet, socks, shoes, and go! Not too bad for my first time. Don't have bike shoes so went straight into running shoes. Put a gel in my back just in case but never used it.

Wasted too much time trying to get my garmin on, the buckle got folded under the rubber loop. Was shaking and should have just dropped it and moved on.
Bike
  • 43m 25s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt so easy! On most of my training rides I never feel like my gearing is right. I stayed in the same gear for most of the ride and it felt perfect. I made sure not to over do it, just stayed steady and consistent. This was my first time riding around other people, passing and all went really well. My feet went numb about half way through and couldn't shake it but didn't seem to effect my performance.

I think my breaks were rubbing. My bike made a squeaking noise on and off the whole ride. I should have done a better job checking my bike out before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Took helmet off, grabbed race belt, hat, water bottle and took off.

Went pretty well, only issue was my race # ripped when I put belt on. Need to give it more slack next time. Need to practice racking/unracking bike.
Run
  • 24m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went really well, kept reminding myself to keep my breathing under control. Passed some in my age group. Feeling good!

Not used to using my garmin on the multisport mode and at one point I couldn't remember if I hit the lap button, I ended up hitting it again which ended the workout. I kept hitting buttons trying to get it going again. Need to just leave it next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Was flying so high I didn't stretch. Just walked around, drank water and chocolate milk. Should have taken time to stretch.

Can't believe I got 3rd in age group!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall for my first tri I don't think I could have had a better race.

Event comments:

Was a really great race. No complaints really.

Last updated: 2010-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:48 | 437 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Triangle shaped course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:25 | 13 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/14
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with a huge slow down at the turn around.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:54 | 03.11 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/14
Course: Started on trail sand then out to the road and back through trail & grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Florida
Subject: FIT - Florida International Triathlon

2010-05-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2862540

User image

Lutz, FL
Subject: RE: FIT - Florida International Triathlon

You never forget the anxiety and speed bumps of your first Tri.  We have all been there.  Despite those hurdles, you did exceptionally well.  

Congrats on the 3rd place finish.  

2010-05-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2862540

User image

New user
Subject: RE: FIT - Florida International Triathlon
Great job considering everything you went through.  Wish we would have seen you wandering around.  My fiancee and I are semi new to triathlon also and we both remember the exact feelings you were describing.  Wish we could have helped.  If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask....this is a great site, for the most part someone is always willing to give you some advice (or at least their opinion   Again, great job and keep up the hard work.  Hopefully this is the first of many triathlons for you.   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT - Florida International Triathlon Rss Feed