United States
Fins Wheels Feet Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My friend, PT, picked me up at 5:15am and we headed over to the race site which was only 5 min away from my house. The parking was already insane so we had to park about a 1/2 mile away from the start and walk to the race site. It was PT's first tri so I mostly hung out with him, used the restroom, and then headed down to the pool area.
Event warmup:

I decided to go sans wetsuit since the water felt a lot warmer than I had expected. I watched the special olympics athletes complete their swim and then it was go time.
Swim
  • 06m 50s
  • 273 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 150 meters were fantastic. The water was a bit cold but it wasn't "shockingly cold" like I was expecting. Since one person starts every 15 seconds, things really started to back up around the 150 meter point because it was pretty hard to navigate around the 'slower' swimmers unless you passed them at the wall. The last 25 meters were spent breast stroking because there was a backup of 5 people without a way to pass them (other swimmers were continuously swimming in the opposite direction).
What would you do differently?:

Submit a faster swim time so that I hopefully won't have to deal with the backup.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

I ran to the bike, rolled my socks onto my feet, put my shoes on, and then hesitated when I realized that I completely forgot to bring a long sleeve jersey or jacket to bike in. I was quite cold (the pool water was pretty cold plus it was overcast out) so I knew that I would be freezing on the bike - and that's when I remembered that I had worn a hoodie in the morning pre-race. It wasn't ideal for a race but it was better than nothing so I pulled it out of my bag, yanked it over my head, threw on my sunglasses and helmet, and took off.

Remember a long sleeve jersey/jacket so that I don't have a hesitation next time.
Bike
  • 46m 1s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't push too hard during the first lap because I didn't want to burn out. I really pushed it during the second lap and I passed 8 people along the way. I should have drank a little bit more water along the way but all in all, it was a good ride.

Drink a bit more water. Push it a bit harder during the first lap.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

I racked my bike, rid myself of the helmet and hoodie, snapped on my race belt... and took a quick moment to re-do my ponytail (shorter hair = hair in my face = annoying). I took off after that.

Stop being a girly girl and forget about the crazy hair.
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw my friend, PT, about 30 yards in front of me as I was heading out of the transition area. I hollered that I was going to catch him and he started laughing and turned around to wait for me. We ran the entire 5K together, walking once for about 20 seconds so that he could get his bearings around the 1/2 mile point. We chatted the entire time and it was nice to have some company during the run. We picked up the pace around the 2.5 mile point and sprinted to the finish together.

I should have pushed it a bit more but it was nice to run with PT and just enjoy the race.
Post race
Warm down:

PT and I grabbed some water and oranges, walked around a bit, and then we cheered on the rest of the finishers and waited around to see the age group rewards and raffles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Making sure that I have everything that I need in the transition area.

Event comments:

I thought that this was a very fun local race that I would definitely like to do again. The swim was a bit congested but that is sort of expected when you have a pool swim. I thought that it was well organized and well supported.

Last updated: 2010-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:50 | 273 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snake swim at the Virginia Run Community outdoor pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:01 | 12.43 miles | 16.21 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: This was a two loop course that wound in and out of the Virginia Run community. There were a few decent hills, downhills, and flats.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:53 | 03.11 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: This was an out and back with a decent downhill towards the middle... and a decent uphill on the way back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 8:29 AM

User image

Regular
Leesburg,
Subject: Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2862737

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon
Really nice race, thanks for sharing. The pool was super congested.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Run Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed