General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was staying less than a half a mile from the start line, so I rolled outta bed roughly 45 minutes before the gun went off, threw my gear on, walked over to Starbucks and got a Venti Chai Tea Latte and sipped it on my way over to the start.
Event warmup:

Stood in the start corral and sipped water...
Run
  • 2h 05m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok. I seem to have a knack for going out and doing half marathons on little to no training whatsoever. Due to earlier knee issues, grad school applications, and getting my stuff together to move out from Wisconsin, I'd not really had a chance to get more than one or two runs done in the last 6 weeks.

On my drive out from Wisconsin, my aunt (who is a Denver resident) called to let me know that she signed us up for the Colfax Half Marathon. I was like "uhhhhh, I really haven't done anything in a looooooong time, but who am I to turn down a free race entry?"

I knew I wasn't gonna set a PR or anything, so it was a good opportunity to practice my discipline and start off slow, and maybe try to pick it up on the way back in, instead my usual burst out of the gates and go down in flames...

Gun goes off, and I start plodding away. Hit the first mile at 9:30, then turned onto Colfax and started the gradual uphill descent. Miles 2 through 7 were all between 9:34 and 9:39. Kind of a boring course, but I was just kind of focusing on being steady and not slowing down or speeding up.

My favorite part was the turnaround. Coming back on 17th, facing west, we had a clear day, and an absolutely perfect framed view of the Rockies. That was just awesome. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid to live in the Rockies, and I'm finally here. Having only been here a week, it still hasn't sunk in. Still feels like a roadtrip, and the fun will be over soon. Then I have one of those moments "holy crap! I live here now!" Gotta love it.

On the way back down 17th, I thought about picking it up, but I really couldn't. My lungs didn't really hurt, my legs weren't hurting too bad, but I had no pop. That's what no running for 6 weeks does to you. :) So I just settled back in, popping off even split after even split. Finished well, and was happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Meh. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Found the food and the beer! Went back and showered, and spent the day with my aunt, and bought a new sleeping bag at REI!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I really don't think the altitude affected me as much as I thought it would.

Last updated: 2010-05-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: A gradual uphill east on Colfax, then a gradual downhill back down 17th to the finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Denver
Subject: Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed