General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Olympic Tri in the fall in this area? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-17 8:58 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Subject: An Olympic Tri in the fall in this area?
I was planning on doing the Olympic distance at the Topeka Tinman, but have had an IT band flareup that has me bothered a little bit about the distance.  I really should take about a week or two off from running and I don't think I will be down to knock out the 10K having missed 2 pretty important weeks of training.  That being said, I am not looking to really compete, just complete respectably.  So this brings me to my 2 burning questions.

What do you think about running the 10K with my gap in training, (I ran the run for hope 10K earlier this spring, so I think my base is there, maybe???)?

Does anyone know of a true (1.5K, 40K, 10K) Olympic tri that occurs later in the year near this area (Kansas, MO, Iowa, Nebraska, etc..)  that is good?

Thanks for the help.
Dave.

2010-05-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2862829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: An Olympic Tri in the fall in this area?
Check KLM marketing solutions.  They have 3 events this year that are olympic.  Midwest Meltdown (Paola, KS) - decent, Midwest Mayhem (Lonestar in Lawrence) - better, Jackson County Tri (Longview Lake) - best.  There's also Shawnee Mission Park tri in July - challenging.

If you haven't ran for 2 weeks... hopefully you are getting some runs in before Tinman?  If you have pain still and you can't train properly, it might be best to scratch the race.  No sense in making it worse.  Doing leg exensions at the gym has helped me with IT issues and I don't need the IT Band on my knee any more.  Little strength training goes a long ways.

In the end, just listen to your body.
2010-05-17 11:40 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You won't find me supporting any KLM events in the future (do a forum search for the details that most everyone I've known to race their events agrees on), except for maybe Jackson County. That actually wasn't a bad little race, if you don't mind a 2-loop swim for an Oly.

If you click on the "RACES" button at the top, you can do a search on races close to your zip code. I actually find it to be more comprehensive than trifind.com
2010-05-17 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2863419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe

I'm curious to see the details... any suggestions on search topics?

I've raced their events for 3 to 4 years and haven't had any problems.  Not saying that other people have had issues, but my experience has been fairly good to date.

2010-05-17 1:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Looks like the serach function doesn't work for state forums or something? Weird!

Here's one thread from awhile back: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=90086&posts=8&start=1

2010-05-17 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I found a perfect date for me, Elephant Man triathlon in Elephant Butte NM (not exactly our area).  September 26, perfect date.  It is a really cool race from what I have heard, and the timing is good.  Thanks for the ideas, and It looks like I will be staying clear of the Midwest meltdown and the likes.  Thanks guys.
Dave.

2010-05-19 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2864628

User image

Veteran
Olathe
There is also Redman down in OKC. There is a full, half, Oly, and Sprint, I haven't done it, but heard it is a pretty good event. I think this year is Sept, 25.
2010-05-20 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2863677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
TriJayhawkRyan - 2010-05-17 1:09 PM

I've raced their events for 3 to 4 years and haven't had any problems.  Not saying that other people have had issues, but my experience has been fairly good to date.

You may have been lucky or not noticing lack of volunteers, miss marked courses, demeaning tone when communicating with athletes, no enforcement of turnaround points, no awards ceremony..........Maybe it's just me noticing all these silly things. 
I could go on and on for about 2 days about their lack of this and that. You guessed it, I no longer race anything they put together. They lost Tinman.
2010-05-20 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2869847

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
IMHusker - 2010-05-19 9:11 PM There is also Redman down in OKC. There is a full, half, Oly, and Sprint, I haven't done it, but heard it is a pretty good event. I think this year is Sept, 25.

Redman is only 70.3 and 140.6 this year.
They only had the Sprint and Oly last year because it was the site of the HalfMax Championship, which I understand will rotate to OKC every 3 years or so.

2010-05-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2872261

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Didn't a bunch of athletes get sick from bacteria in the water last year or the year before in that race?
2010-05-20 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2872269

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
TriJayhawkRyan - 2010-05-20 4:45 PM Didn't a bunch of athletes get sick from bacteria in the water last year or the year before in that race?

No, that was the Boathouse Tri in May 2009.
http://www.examiner.com/x-2490-Endurance-Sports-Examiner~y2009m5d26-At-least-two-dozen-triathletes-sickened-after-Boat-House-International-Triathlon

2010-05-20 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2872277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Makes me happy my race last weekend was changed to a Duathlon after water quality issues from rainwater runoff...

"poo water"... ew, cold shiver.
2010-05-20 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2870299

User image

Extreme Veteran

atasic - 2010-05-20 7:47 AM
TriJayhawkRyan - 2010-05-17 1:09 PM

You may have been lucky or not noticing lack of volunteers, miss marked courses, demeaning tone when communicating with athletes, no enforcement of turnaround points, no awards ceremony..........Maybe it's just me noticing all these silly things. 
I could go on and on for about 2 days about their lack of this and that. You guessed it, I no longer race anything they put together. They lost Tinman.

Don't forget the mess ups with timing/results.

2010-06-22 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2872336

User image

Lawrence, KS - Home of the Jayhawks!
I didn't know any better last year, as the Tinman was my first rodeo, but I thought it went well for me.  This year, the "12 mile" bike course was only 10.6, but the online results still list a bike pace that is divided by 12 miles.  Not sure what's so great about the new management?  I spent 10 minutes holding my freaking bike rack up right before the race, as the announcer (who was only 20 feet away) was encouraging us to leave the transition area.  Other bike racks went down as well.  In my opinion, it was worse this year than last.  Like I said, I'm no expert, but if I thought it sucked, then I'm sure someone else did.
2010-08-24 9:44 AM

User image

Try the Pergerine Charities Triathlon in Waterloo, IA.  I did it last year and had a great time.  It is pretty much the last one in the area for the year (http://tri.peregrinecharities.org/race-info.aspx).  The swim is nice because it is an out-and-back with the buoys connected by "noodles" so it feels like you are swimming in a .5M pool with a lane rope next to you!  The bike course is decent and then run is mostly shaded on paved roads and a wide bike path.

I didn't have any problem with Midweest Meltdown last year although it is sort of a bummer that they don't do awards.  At least you can just take off after the race instead of waiting around for an hour.

--
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Olympic Tri in the fall in this area? Rss Feed