Tough Mudder
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m
Overall Rank = ?/4500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drank some the night before, I originally planned to not partake, but had a few. Thank God I didn't teetoal, as the race ended up being a joke.
Event warmup:

At the bottom of the first "obstacle," a 500 meter downhill charge, my teammates and I all chugged a beer each. Glad we did, realizing early on that the course would be easy.
Post race
Event comments:

This race was an absolute joke. "Toughest one day adventure race on the planet" ...that EVERYONE is capable of. This thing was advertised as being super hard, and it was a complete joke. 7.2 miles? More like 5.4. 2.5 hours to finish? Winning time of 45 minutes. I would've finished in under an hour easily if I hadn't had to wait in line for obstacles. If you're looking for a fun mud run that you're definitely capable of doing, then do a Tough Mudder. But don't buy into the PR bullshit. This IS your grandma's mudrun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-24 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 10:34 AM

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Subject: Tough Mudder

2010-05-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2863188

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Tough Mudder
Wow, I was definitely buying into it and contemplating doing their NJ race in November for $140 but not now. Will wait to hear some good things on it first.
2010-05-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2863988

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Subject: RE: Tough Mudder
I should clarify a couple things: I'm a hasher, so running while drinking/hungover is commonplace for me - it wasn't a COMPLETE walk in the park. It just wasn't what they advertised. Had they simply advertised it as a fun mud run with one KILLER hill (there was a part where we ran up a black diamond ski slope - definitely as tough as advertised. I had to crawl for part of it), I'd be 100% satisfied. I also got there early, was near the beginning, and had a fun team to do it with (Team Safety Third!). I'd definitely read the reviews on active.com though, as a lot of people had very bad experiences. Logistics were pretty horrible, with people waiting 2 hours + to get shuttled from the parking lot to the venue, missing their start times, waiting 45 minutes + for some obstacles which were eventually canceled, etc.

So if you go in dressing up (we did) drinking (we did) and not worried about your finishing time (because they decided not to keep time when they got 4000 more people than they thought they would), you can definitely have a great time. Just don't go in expecting Tough Guy UK.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tough Mudder Rss Feed