United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 9s
Overall Rank = 41/183
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Wake-up, PBJ sandwich, drive to site and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Some walking to and from the car - no real race warmup.
Run
  • 24m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Lined up about a row back from the start and just started running. :) I tried to use the multisport setting again today (tried at nationals last year and had no luck) and didn't get it started quite right. I ended up getting it started a little into the run, but close enough! I think I started out a little too fast, I got a little carried away with all the fast runners at the start. I had planned on about an 8:00 pace, so things ended up about right. Rolling course and mostly shaded, which was very nice. Very scenic run through Callaway on the road and some bike trail, with a very small "trail" section at a turnaround about 2.5 miles in. Decided to use the water on the course, but when I asked for water at the stop (2 miles), the little girl gave me gaterade. I looked, saw yellow, and dumped it out - that is not in my nutrition plan. :) Other than being thirsty, happy with this run!

This was not a chipped race, so no stats on placing for each sport. There were lots of people off to a really fast start, and I think I passed three or four women on the bike, so my guess is around 6th or 7th out of females after this leg.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I should have started out a little slower, but who knows. The girls who beat me were already ahead of me here, so I just need to get faster!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think this was an efficient transition. Wierd setup, as run-in and bike-out were both in the same place. My setup was not good, didn't realize this would be the case, so I had to waste some time getting to my spot and heading back out. For once, it would have benefited me to get to transtition early and get a close spot. :)

Didn't remember to hit my split on the garmin until I was heading out of transition, so I don't have time for this transition.
Bike
  • 59m 54s
  • 18.92 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out really hammering the bike. I would find a person in front of me and focus on catching/dropping them. Felt nice and speedy, this was a really fun course with mostly rollers with a few good downhills. That also meant some longer uphills, which we all know I'm not the best on. A little into the second lap, I could feel my legs were pretty sore. Started to think about the second run and I backed off the pace a bit. I got passed by a few more people in the second lap (no women), so I knew I wasn't riding fast enough, but wasn't sure how much more I could push and still run off the bike. Saw a guy lose his pedal (how is that even possible) and felt bad for him.

This was not a USAT race, as far as I know, so there were a few people out there with headphones and the usual 3-bike rule was not really used by most people. This was a very technical course, lots of sharp turns and very little straight, so I was really proud of myself for taking the corners faster than I usually do. I know I lost some time with those sections, but not sure how much that effected my total time.

Counted women on the run as I finished the bike and saw 2 - knowing I had one just a little in front of me. Ugh!

Push harder on the second lap, need to keep my heartrate up through the entire race. It's hard to find the right amount of push without compromising my second run.

I hoped to hit at least 20 average on the bike, so I was a little disappointed when I saw my Garmin time. Forgot to hit the lap button until I was headed out on the run, so it's a little off, but still not quite where I should have been. Since Macon is coming up, I haven't done much speedwork, so I just don't think I was as prepared for a long sprint bike as I should have been.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not as fast as I should have gone, but okay. Decided to grab my fuelbelt with 1 bottle, since I wasn't able to get water on the first run. Remembered to hit the split button heading away from my rack and started the run split as I exited transition. The only clean split I have is the last run - oops!
Run
  • 25m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate the feeling you get starting to run off a hard bike - ouch! My legs were so heavy and I just had to convince myself to keep going. Started off with a good turnover, but my legs were so tired and I slowed down the end of the first mile/beginning of second. I saw a girl right behind me at the turnaround at .5 miles and knew she was going to pass me. Tried to keep going and hold her off for as long as possible - which turned out to be the whole run! I think knowing she was there was a big reason I was able to keep pushing and didn't walk at all. I need to keep that picture in my mind for all my races!

Learn to run faster of the bike. :) Looking at my HR data, I think I paced this as best I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, light stretching, lots of water, and watching my Dad and James finish.

I as pretty sure at the finish, I had gotten 4th overall female - darn! I was really hoping to place in the top 3, but I didn't quite make it. I was surprised when I got called for 3rd in my AG (I figured I'd at least get 1st there), they didn't actually give out overall awards at this race. 2nd & 3rd overall were both in my AG, of course. :)

Rankings:
AG - 3/15
Female - 4/67
Overall - 41/183

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not focusing on short course right now, so I haven't done enough speedwork on the bike.

Event comments:

This is a great, low-key race all within the grounds of Callaway. No chip timing, so no splits. Finish times were slightly off what I had on my watch, but not too bad. This is a well-run race, but I would like to see it move up to a USAT race, enforcing rules (headphones), and add chips for split times. Either way, it's a beautiful race, fun course, and I plan to keep this on my race schedule.

Last updated: 2010-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/183
Performance: Good
Lap Data Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 07m 40s 1.00 miles 07m 40s /mile 179 186 2 07m 57s 1.00 miles 07m 57s /mile 184 188 3 08m 48s 1.00 miles 08m 48s /mile 187 191 4 00m 04s 0.01 miles 06m 48s /mile 186 186
Course: Circle around lake on roads and some bike trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:59:54 | 18.92 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Lap Data Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 15m 13s 5.00 miles 19.72 mph 179 186 2 15m 26s 5.00 miles 19.44 mph 179 184 3 15m 38s 5.00 miles 19.19 mph 171 178 4 13m 39s 3.92 miles 17.24 mph 172 180
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops around Callaway gardens on surface roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:35 | 03.11 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Lap Data Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 08m 16s 1.00 miles 08m 16s /mile 179 185 2 08m 49s 1.00 miles 08m 49s /mile 183 187 3 08m 30s 1.00 miles 08m 30s /mile 188 194
Course: Same as first run, in reverse direction.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Callaway Gardens Duathlon

2010-05-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2863466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Callaway Gardens Duathlon
Nice report, I was there and you pretty much nailed it!  I was 15th overall and didn't even place in my AG either...too many fast 40-44 men around I guess.

Great finishing time too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Callaway Gardens Duathlon Rss Feed