Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Water Snakes - How far from shore? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-18 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2865353

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Water Snakes - How far from shore?
I certainly agree that they are not out to get me and just want to be left alone.  Non-venemous snakes are quick to slither away and I had no qualms stopping to take photos so long as I did not disturb them.  But venemous snakes seem to be a bit more aggressive. 

A friend and I were biking on a paved river trail, complete with dog walkers and baby strollers.  We encountered a copperhead sunning himself in the middle of the paved path.  Not wanting any unsuspecting walkers to get hurt (or the snake to get run over), I tried to "shoooo" him off the path.  I quickly learned the copperheads will NOT be "shooo-ed".  I "thought" he would simply slither away, but that bad boy sure took a strike at me!

I admit, I was bothering him and he was provoked.  But I certainly expected him to flee rather than strike.  Anyway, I don't need a scolding for my highly stupid action, I learned my lesson!  Gives me chills every time I think about it.

2010-05-18 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2865562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Where in NE Ohio are you originally from Maria?  I grew up near Akron but currently live in Chicago.  Thankfully not many snakes that I have seen here.
2010-05-18 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2865569

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
blackledge - 2010-05-18 11:07 AM Where in NE Ohio are you originally from Maria?  I grew up near Akron but currently live in Chicago.  Thankfully not many snakes that I have seen here.

Just a bit east of you, Warren, OH.  Go Buckeyes!
2010-05-18 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2864085

User image

Regular
Can't be totally sure from your pictures but the snakes appear to be
Corn snake
Racer
Rat snake (this is the one I am least positive about based on the photo given)

and whoever commented about the diamond shaped head is partly correct.  Pit vipers like cottonmouths/water moccasins, rattlesnakes, copperheads do have diamond shaped heads.  However this is not always the best key to go by, since many other harmless species do an excellent job of flattening out their heads to make themselves look venomous in an attempt to scare you and anything else away if threatened.  I'm pretty sure thats what the snake in the last picture is doing.  The body just does not seem stocky enough in that picture to resemble a cottonmouth to me.  But like I said take that with a grain of salt since I can't tell for sure.  And you did an excellent job of giving the snake plenty of space since you were not sure what species it was
2010-05-19 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2864085

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Yea.. that's a bad photo from my camera phone.  I agree with your assessment.  That snake in that last photo did not have a diamond shaped head although the photo does make it appear that way. 

Thanks for the opinions.  I don't worry too much about it, but the thought does cross my mind with the weather warming up.

But truly, there are MUCH worse dangers we face as Triathletes; such a idiot drivers!!!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Water Snakes - How far from shore? Rss Feed  

of 2