United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 59m 54s
Overall Rank = 145/373
Age Group = 35 tp 39
Age Group Rank = 17/29
Pre-race routine:

Stuck to my norm. Had to get up a little early for the race. The race web site warned of traffic problems. However the constrauction must have taken the day off so it was a nice easy drive.
Event warmup:

My warm up was a lot of walking around, a bit of streatching. I did have to use the restroom a few times. Most races I one need to go once but this race I had to go a about 3 times before the start.
Run
  • 3h 59m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was great. My goal was to run this race in under 4 hours. I made it by seconds but I made it.

The run itself is very nice. The people out in the yards cheering made the race for me. The run itself is a bit of a challenge. There are a few hills and the reward of the down hill with some nice flats. The Tacoma marathon is a bit more of a challenge just due to the steeper hills. The marathon is to me just as hard because the hills are there but less of a slope, just long at times. The only hill I had to get upset at was the one at mile 22 or 23, either way wow this was a hill the meant buisness and it was or seemed very long at that point. The water stations are every 2 miles with restrooms at them.

As for my run. I ran hard and had the above mentioned goal as well as my goal of a 1:45 half. I hit the half at 1:44. I was feeling good about that. This race I knoew I wanted a harder goal for myself so I knew I had to run hard. I ran as hard as I could and made the most of the race. I did have to walk a couple times, but I think that was more mental rather than being tired. The finish is down hill for maybe a mile, so I pounded that as hard as I could and ran on in.

This event is great. The only thing I do not like is the walkers who do the half. Nothing against them for being out there. The marathon and half marathon meet up at some point and becoem one race. The pace I run puts me in the back of the half race so I run into the walkers. Love them being out there. However please keep to one side, or on sidewalk. There were many times I was running and a group of walkers owned the whole course. My legs were to tired to jump the curb and cars were going by so I could not cross the line to pass. Just makes it tough is all.
What would you do differently?:

maybe push a little harder and stay running the whole time, not use restroom in the race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental toughness

Event comments:

Good and fun race just do not like the walkers in the way is all but not much can be done about that. Work around it and move on.

Last updated: 2010-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
03:59:54 | 26.2 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/29
Overall: 145/373
Performance: Good
Course: nice course. challenging and fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?