View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
Total Time = 2h 28m 57s
Overall Rank = 20/244
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Pre race routine? Is this like the whole day before? Well the night before I was outside in the yard burning wood and eating marshmallows with chocolate. Smores are fucking cool!
Event warmup:

Got to the race on time which was still late. 0930 hrs is WAY to late for getting to a race. Anyways after getting to the race, we grabbed our race packages (which sucked shit!, nothing in them!) then walked over to the transition zone. Ran into Leah as she was nailing everyone in the race for every infraction in the book, and trust me she had the book on a string around her neck! Shared a few laughs, set up transition, chatted with all the newbies and gave them silly advice like, peeing in your goggles before you swim in a race prevents fogging and to make sure you eat all your GU's all at once for extra power!!!! Then off for body marking and chips!
Swim
  • 30m 55s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a pretty good swim going, I think the HR was down, breathing was alright and I was playing it safe for the first 800 meters. Mike was out in front of me and some yo-yo was in front of him. Going slower than we should have been going. I was tapping feet and was getting no response until the last 100. Dude was not happy. F him. I moved for some chick and she wasn't even toe tapping. Anyways, nailed down the 800 with no problems and I was happy. Getting out of the pool I managed to pass one other guy and Mike, jumped in a head of them into the lane and was off. Mike was on my ass from the work go. He was whacking my feet for 250 meters but I tried to keep up. With him hammering and me hammering to stay out front I ran out of gas, breathing was all messed up and I was done. at 300 to go I was doing some wall mongering and dropping a lot of time. In all I'll bet I lost a minute. Crap. Lessons here we come! Out of the pool, got yelled at for running on the pool deck, then off for the long run to T1
What would you do differently?:

keep to the game plan
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

good change over, took an extra second to make sure my head bandage was on and no leaking. Nothing to really mention, my T1 is fast cause the bike wants to get out there and preform. He's been stuck on stupid post chilling with a bunch of slow, dumb looking bikes. He wants to get out there and RIDE!!!!!

Not much, pretty text book T1
Bike
  • 1h 08m 30s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.04 km/hr
Comments:

Riding the bike Grrrrr! What is better than starting out on the course and passing everyone. Some complain that this race sucks because there are too many people out there. I think it makes it better. Having a few sheep out there on the roads make us wolves that much faster. I was hammering pretty good into the first few corners and cruised by a bunch of people. My first problem occurred at 5:07 minutes in. The flagging crew and I had a misunderstanding and I missed a turn and almost collided with a bunch of other racers. Could have been ugly but no harm and no fouls. It was a bit embarrassing cruising down Marine with 50 people looking at me wondering what the hell I was doing on the wrong side of the street. Managed to get back over at the next break in the median. Got back over and kept on passing people. Got out to the first turn around and was hit with a gorgeous head wind. 50 down and 30 back up. man did that suck. Whatever, still hammered. I managed to keep hunting the little bikes and managed to add a few beauties to my kill list. 4 P3C's, a hand full of carbon wheels, some disks, a couple of P2C's and even a nice new P4. my little buddy bristled when we passed the big boy and he really made them pay. Finished off the route, did get passed by 2 guys on some serious machines but as they passed me they exited the course, so I'm hoping they were doing the Sprint. So does that count as a pass? Probably. :(

Do differently? Go faster. Faster and faster. Get a bigger hammer and swing it mercilessly! Why doesn't the OVERALL drop down have "FUCKING AMAZING" as a choice? Or even great?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, pretty fast T2, not much to do, I think I may have spent a bit too much time getting out the door, possibly 5 seconds or so. Can't complain. Mind you that 5 seconds will be coming back to bite me in the ass I'm sure.......

Better concentrate on what needs to be done asap and do it!
Run
  • 49m 33s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Took off running at a faster pace than usual. Some chick came out of T with me and was crushing the start. I could not settle in and let her pass me. I managed to keep her off me until the 5 K marker. Where she left. Dirty girl was only doing the Sprint. Jerk. My HR was sky rocketing because I couldn't let someone pass me. No one else came near me on the run and I actually managed to get some distance between me and the others I was seeing on the run. Through out some encouragement to some of the strugglers out there and told them to keep on moving. Some responded, some looked like they needed medical aid. At the 7 K marker I looked at my watch. I was going to be very close to my goal if I pulled it together. Just a bunch of hills in my way from here on in. Who the hell designed this run!?!? I pushed hard, so hard the people I was passing must have thought I needed to get to the first aid fast! Maybe I should have looked at the watch one last time during the last 200 m. Cruising down the chute I passed one last guy and rolled over the mat. 2:30:03. Unofficial time. Time and placements will be posted once they are online. Not happy but not totally unhappy with the race.

More race paced running. I think I've been dogging it out there. Differently. Hmmm, take it smooth so the body doesn't shut down at the last Km. Slow is the new fast? .........Ah Bullshit! Faster is the new fast!
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down consisted of waiting for Mike to cross, chatting with a bunch of racers, eating bananas, oranges and bagels and drinking some water. Got in the car, drove home and flopped into the hot tub!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Goofing off. Stopping in the pool to catch my breath. Not sticking to the game plan. Its a good plan, we should stick to the plan. Need to go faster on the bike so I can afford a bigger buffer on the run and make up some time on the swim.

Last updated: 2009-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:55 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 70/244
Performance: Average
swim time includes run to T1, but was still a lousy swim!
Suit: IM one piece
Course: 50 m pool swim back and forth with a duck under the lane ropes. 8 lanes then a run back to the start to kill off the last 7 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:30 | 40 kms | 35.04 km/hr
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 15/244
Wind: Headwind
Course: 4 loops around the endowment lands
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:33 | 10 kms | 04m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 40/244
Course: 2 out and backs through the University. Nice run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-17 11:10 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: UBC Triathalon

2010-05-18 1:08 AM
in reply to: #2864855

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: RE: UBC Triathalon
You're a machine on the bike! Not to shabby on those two other things either. I suppose one day, I'll be on one of those P2's you pass on the bike leg, just be sure to say "hi" as you go by.
Awesome race and report, as usual.
2010-05-18 10:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-18 10:45 AM

Crazy fast, Chris! Well done!!
2010-05-18 11:27 AM

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

Young man, please refrain from using the F word so much.  

Congrats on 1st place! Well done.

2010-05-18 8:21 PM

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
As always Chris awesome RR and even better race way to go out there!!!  I wish I was close to your speed including the transistions.

Edited by Neilman 2010-05-18 8:24 PM

2010-05-18 8:31 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Nice work buddy boy!

2010-05-18 9:46 PM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Ya, I guess you did alright!

Congrats on the AG win!
2010-05-19 3:20 PM

Regular
Winnipeg

1st place?  1st place!!!!!!!!!

Fantabulous!!!

2010-05-20 11:14 PM

Badass! Is it weird that your bike time makes me little girl scared?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UBC Triathalon Rss Feed