Dallas Athletes
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 21s
Overall Rank = 103/225
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/30
Pre-race routine:

Wake up 4am, coffee and 2 Lara Bars, and leave the house at 4:25. Arrive in Johnson Branch State Park at 5:30. I was one of the first 30 people there. I like it that way...no rush. First 20 into transition...got my choice on the open rack. Right on the end by the swim in and the bike in. Take time setting up. then walked bike out and run out. Wet suit on at about 6:30.
Event warmup:

at 6:30 went down to the water and swam/floated for about 15 minutes. PERFECT temp...about 72. Forgot Gu in transition...DOUH!
Swim
  • 26m 37s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st OWS...had no idea what to expect. it really went very well all things considered
What would you do differently?:

Gu before the swim!
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

good coming out of the water but very winded. didn't run right away...to about 20 sec walk to get my bearings then began to run. Desoto wetsuit top off while running up the hill and left goggles and swim cap in the sleeve...never practiced that but got it right first time. Bibjohns off infront of bike. Kinda slow getting helmet and glasses on. Shoes on the bike. walk/run out of T1. step over and go...feet into shoes once up to speed.

pretty good for first wetsuit T1
Bike
  • 1h 14m 19s
  • 24.1 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr

nothing...I had a really good ride. pushed a high heart rate and kept cadence at 90 throughout. really jammed the hills and rocked the downhills. stayed in aero 95% of time...but did discover that I need a different saddle for that much aero...got some numbness in bad spots!! (have already ordered an Adamo!!)
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

coming in was great...too damn slow putting on shoes! Forgot to buy some lace locks. Took way to long! put on fuel belt hat and race number on the run out.

lace locks!
Run
  • 52m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

this is the first time I ran without socks with the new orthotics. OOOPS! should have tried that out in training first. Developed a small blister on the arch of my left foot. Not bad but if I had been running a half-mary, I would have been in trouble. will need to consider socks next time.
Post race
Warm down:

collapse in the grass with pizza and water and listen to the band. cant ask for better than that. After about 20 minutes I walked back up to transition, mixed up Fluid Recovery, packed up and hit the road

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing...great first oly.

Event comments:

despite some of the bad press that others on this site have given this race, I thought it was great. PLENTY of volunteers, very organized, lots of great athletes there, good course (despite the 2 miles of crapy road at mile 18) and good post race activities.

Last updated: 2010-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:37 | 1500 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 0/225
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Smart1
Course: Great course: clean beach start...no weeds or nasty lake bottom. started into the rising sun so it was kid of hard to sight the first bouy. started on the left rear of my wave (first wave) but moved right to avoid the sand bar... Essentially a Triangular course...out 1/3, across 1/3, in 1/3.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:19 | 24.1 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/30
Wind: Little
Course: most of course was very good...despite some grumblings on beginnertriathlete.com about the road conditions being poor. The new chip seal on the road was a little bumpy but much of the shoulder was still smooth. crowded course at first with all riders on same roads. better as we split away from the sprint riders. One section of road at around mile 18 was TERRIBLE. haphazard patches, potholes, uneven road. Fortunately, that portion had no auto traffic as I was often riding in the middle of the road or even on the left side. still had a good cadence and speed here though and it was over soon enough. Rest of the ride was pretty good. Entire course was over farm land and state park...very scenic and low traffic roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:00 | 06.21 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/30
Course: great course...mostly through the trees on concrete running path. then onto main park road and out onto the highway shoulder. for about a mile. that part was a bit congested between runners going out and coming back, half iron riders going by and the occasional traffic...plus a semi truck while I was out there. But, it all worked fine. loved the last 2 miles coming back into the trees and then out onto the beach for the finish line. Very cool finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes