General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on converting hybrid to road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-18 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: Thoughts on converting hybrid to road bike

Hi, all.  New to triathlons and thinking about making my hybrid bike (2002 Gary Fisher Capitola) more road-friendly.  Has anyone achieved any success (read: more speed for same effort) by doing this, and how far did you go in changing parts/components?

I've read some threads elsewhere about swapping out the wheels and tires, handlebars, adding brake travel agents, re-routing cables and shifters...yikes, may as well get a new bike! 

Thanks!

2010-05-18 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2865241

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Thoughts on converting hybrid to road bike
I once converted a rigid-frame mountain bike into a road-worthy ride (even took it on some bike racing team winter rides, where it was dubbed "the urban assault bike"). Higher pressure slick tires, drop bars, bar-end shifters, and road brake levers where about all it took, and I had those parts already on hand (from several bikes and configuration changes over the years). Yes, it can be somewhat costly to make the switch, but the decision of whether it's more worth it to just buy another bike is one that only you can make for yourself.

Me though, personally, am a living example of the "N+1" principal, with 8 bikes in my garage.
2010-05-18 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2865287

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

briderdt - 2010-05-18 9:49 AM I once converted a rigid-frame mountain bike into a road-worthy ride (even took it on some bike racing team winter rides, where it was dubbed "the urban assault bike"). Higher pressure slick tires, drop bars, bar-end shifters, and road brake levers where about all it took, and I had those parts already on hand (from several bikes and configuration changes over the years). Yes, it can be somewhat costly to make the switch, but the decision of whether it's more worth it to just buy another bike is one that only you can make for yourself.

Me though, personally, am a living example of the "N+1" principal, with 8 bikes in my garage.

Thanks for the response...love the RUSH quote in your sig, too.

2010-05-19 8:25 PM

User image

For most people, it's cheaper and easier to just buy another bike.  You might spend a few hundred dollars to convert your bike.  For the same price you could just get a used roadie of similar quality.
2010-05-19 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Novi, MI
I've been called crazy and dumb for using my early 90's Schwinn Frontier as my road bike.  It's steal, has slicks, aerobars, and a 52t chainring.  I've been riding it for a while and this past weekend averaged 19.7 mph during a 50 mile ride with the same friends that call me crazy and dumb.

For me, I like the bike, the fit, and don't want to get another bike that I might not like as much.  So, since the people I ride with can't drop me, I'm keeping it.

Currently, I'm looking at options for the wheels.  The bike came with mtn bike rims.  With slicks, the overall diameter is roughly 24 inches.  I need to see how big of a diameter I can fit with the frame.

2010-05-19 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran

If you have knobby tires, then definitely swap them out for higher pressure slick tires.

Other than that, it's probably better to save your money for a new (used) road bike.

2 cents.

2010-05-20 3:55 AM

User image

Master
You can put a dress on a mule but you are still riding a mule. If yoy want to be really competative on the bike you would be better off saving your money for a road/tri bike.

Road tires will help some as will any changes that get you into a more aerodynamic body position.
2010-05-20 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
I commute on a hybrid, ride for fun on a road bike and race on a TT bike. They are three completely distinct beasts, and I can't imagine any attempt at making one of them try and act like another as being satisfactory.

I agree with the above sentiments of taking the money you would have used to "roadie" the hybrid and sticking it in a savings account, and start squirreling money away here and there until you have enough to buy the road bike you really want.

Having the correct bike later will make you happier than having a facsimile now.

Plus, you would then have two bikes to help satisfy the N+1 rule.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on converting hybrid to road bike Rss Feed