United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 25s
Overall Rank = 15/183
Age Group = 40-44 Male
Age Group Rank = 4/27
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up really early because I needed to buy a new helmet at Walmart (24hrs!). Grab a protein bar and a banana and off for the 90 minute drive to WM then the race. Got to the race way to early, could've slept another hour easily. Upside is I got the best possible transition spot, first come first served.
Event warmup:

Did about a 1/2 slow run with 5 strides at the end get the blood flowing.
Run
  • 23h 07m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 7h 25m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to go out faster than was probably wise, figuring that the temps were nice and I was fresh. Pretty decent run on an easier course than I typically run. Could've gone faster but I was hapy with a 7:27 pace.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, strategy proved correct.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

There was no chip timing on this course so the time is approximate. I had to run only about 15 feet with the and that was huge because my riding shoes are definitely not meant for running. I did fumble just a bit but that was more nerves than anything.

I need bike shoes that are more geared towards multisports.
Bike
  • 54m
  • 18.6 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Uphills weren't terribly bad but I attacked a couple of them wrong. The course was two laps and I rode the second lap smarter as I knew what to expect. Actually passed a few folks on the second lap was passed myself only twice on the entire ride. I was very happy with my bike portion consider the 20mph avg with all the turns.

Ride the bike course before the race so I know better what to expect.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition went a little rougher than the first because of fatigue I guess. Fumbled with shoes a good bit, laces mainly.

I would invest 30 seconds in some serious stretching, and stretch more while on the bike towards the end of the ride.
Run
  • 23m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

A friend told me I was top-20 at that point and that definintely motivated me to go out fast, maybe too fast. I elected not to stretch and attempted to go out at a sub-8:00 pace. Bad idea! Both calfs started cramping and I was already running funny 30 seconds in. I knew that wouldn't work so I walked for a few seconds and stretched. During this time I got chicked, thought I could hang but let her go. The early part of the run was very dreary. I got passed by a guy in my AG and we both gave each other motivational comments. I'm glad I got passed because he was my rabbit. I was able to hang off him for 2 miles or so and I noticed his breathing grow heavy and the hills started slowing him down. My breathing and form were under control, so I put the hammer down as best I could. Passed him with a half mile left and put some distance between us. Saw a buddy with a quarter mile left and he inspired me to sprint, kind of.

Pretty happy with the end of the second run considering how it started. Unbelieveably I had an identical time as the first run, at least I'm consistent! Next time I would consciously run slower at the beginning to get blood flowing into the legs and stretch a bit. I would take more gatorade on the run as I seemed to bonk for almost the whole thing.
Post race
Warm down:

The second 5K was very much like the last 3 miles of my marathon, a deathmarch! Was completely gassed and nauseous at the end. I waited about 5 minutes to get drink and food for fear of throwing it all up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know enough to know what limited my performance. I'm actually pretty damned happy with it!

Event comments:

I was 15th overall so I figured I had to get an AG award. NOT! The overall winner was in my age group and I finished 4th AG. Still I'm extremely pleased with the race although I wonder how faster I could be with better transitions, more training, and a little more bike speed. Great race and I'll surely be back next year!

Last updated: 2010-05-18 12:00 AM
Running
23:07:00 | 03.11 miles | 7h 25m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 14/183
Performance: Good
Avg HR 170-175
Course: A mild hill early on and then downhill and mild rollers after that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:54:00 | 18.6 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Overall: 14/183
HR got up to 180 where I had to dial the effor back a bit. Mostly averaged 170.
Wind: Some
Course: Bike course was on the technical side with several 90 degree turns, some of them off downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:07 | 03.11 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 15/183
HR pegging just a bit, always above 175 or so.
Course: Same exact course as first run, just opposite direction. This is a good thing, as I could NOT handle the early hills I had in the first run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %5lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes