General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Jekyll Island Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-18 10:45 PM

Regular
Subject: Visiting Jekyll Island
My wife and I will be visiting Jekyll Island for our anniversary.  Though not usually a topic of this forum, I am looking for a little travel advice.  Any suggestions of places to go in terms of sites and restaurants? What about visiting neighboring areas like St. Simons Island and the Okefenokee Swamp?

Also a little more tri relevant:  Is there a particularly good place to practice open water swimming?  We'll be bringing our bikes.  My wife has not ridden hers in several years, and my longest rides are now up to 25 miles.  Do you have any suggestions of an easy ride for the two of us together and training ride for me on my own?

Thanks 

2010-05-18 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2867378

Veteran
Subject: RE: Visiting Jekyll Island

Make sure you walk the beach on the north ocean side to see the trees near the ocean...worth the trip just for that to me. 

Biking around the island local roads and bike trails is plenty good for casual riding. Next time I go there I will head over to Cumberland island for a day, next island south of Jekyll, heard lots of good about there. 

Enjoy

2010-05-19 7:37 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
The loop around the island is a great route for the bike ride.  If your wife is wanting a slower pace just stay on the bike paths all through the island.  As for restuarants we enjoyed Blackbeard's and 31 Latitude.  At 31 Latitude we had a window seat and were there for the sunset.  Very nice view and the food was good, too. 

Had some locals say that Zachary's was the local favorite for seafood but the menu looked like mostly fried food. 

Enjoy your visit.  My wife and I will be going back in October for the Red Cross Tri so we will need to find some other places to try out the food.
2010-05-19 9:24 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn
We were also just at Jekyll last weekend.  The ride around the island is nice (14-15 miles around) and the bike paths were good too.

Don't eat the pizza from Red Bug Pizza...not good at all!!

Also want to warn you that there are no gas stations on the island.  There are signs warning you of this fact, but we were busy looking at the beautiful scenery and totally missed seeing the signs.  We *almost* didn't make it back to the stations out by I-95...we were already contemplating which one of us was going to bike to the gas station and how we would carry the gas can on our bike.  Frown

Have a great trip!!
2010-05-20 2:54 PM

I was there last week for a few days too. 

Restaurants: Latitude 31 and Blackbeard's were both great.  Zachary's Seafood was good for lunch - but as mentioned above, the menu is mostly fried foods - the stuffed flounder wasn't fried though, and it was delicious.   Before leaving on Sunday, we ate brunch in the Grand Dining Room at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel - it was excellent.  We also ate at SeaJays - the food and service were poor - we won't return.

Sites:  Make sure you go to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center - it was great.  Also, walking/biking through the historic district was very interesting and enjoyable.  We didn't take an official tour as my 7 year old was in tow; but, I imagine the tour through the historic area would be worthwhile and interesting.  If you're looking for something fun - the Summer Waves water park was a blast - it felt great floating around the lazy river last Saturday afternoon after running the Turtle Crawl!!!

OWS: in addition to during the event, I swam a couple of times at the beach - I'd recommend swimming at some time other than low tide though - the water was extra filthy at that time. 

Biking:  the perimeter Beachview/Riverview loop is a great training ride.  The bike paths are best for an easy, scenic ride together - especially the paths near the historic sites and golf courses.  

Edited by stuartgray 2010-05-20 2:58 PM
2010-05-21 11:13 AM

Regular
Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

2010-05-21 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
i'll be in that area in 2 weeks (memorial day week) if anybody wants to ride.  staying on St. Simons but will probably ride on Jekyll.  How is the traffic on Jekyll?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Jekyll Island Rss Feed