General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hammonton Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-19 5:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ
Subject: Hammonton Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Short notice but a few friends and I will be doing a ride/run brick at the Hammonton Tri race site tonight.  We plan on meeting at 5:15 with hopes of rolling out at 5:30.  Feel free to join us.

Dan

2010-05-20 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2867495

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Hammonton Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
A little off topic, but the Hammonton is next weekend correct?

What is deal with watching a Tri?  I am scheduled for my first one in August, but I would love to be a spectator for one just to see how everything works....

Can I just show up to this one and watch?

How did the brick go last night?

2010-05-20 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2870569

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
kdandrea - 2010-05-20 10:10 AM

A little off topic, but the Hammonton is next weekend correct?

What is deal with watching a Tri?  I am scheduled for my first one in August, but I would love to be a spectator for one just to see how everything works....

Can I just show up to this one and watch?

How did the brick go last night?

Can definitely just show up and watch/volunteer/etc. My Dad comes to every race I do and loves watching the action and the atmosphere. At a race like Hammonton you'll be able to be close enough to transition to see how people set up, etc.
2010-06-01 9:00 AM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
So, I drove down and watched this one on Saturday morning.  It was very cool to see one in action.

Questions:  Is that the norm for them to set the buoys up so you swim out with them on your left then turn and swim back with them also on your left?  If so, does anyone swim with breathing off your left side as opposed to the right so you can keep the buoys in sight?  That definitely would take some practice.  I was trying it in the pool.

Also, I noticed that people weren't putting on their race belts until the right portion, I thought they were required for the the bike as well?

Anyway, congrats to everyone who competed.  Very inspiring.

2010-06-01 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2893571

Buoy placement can vary from race to race - I find that the best thing to do is to "sight" the buoys by pulling your head straight up and looking forward rather than try to look at them as you are going by them.  Also, you'll find that once you start open water swimming, you will probably have a natural tendency to pull to one side and not swim in a straight line.  No handy lane markers to keep you going straight!  So the strategy is to sight from buoy to buoy and not look too far ahead.
As far as race numbers are concerned...a lot of races provide you with a number to put on your bike - Hammonton did not.  USAT rules state that you only need the race bib displayed when you cross the finish line, so it's not necessary to wear the bib on the bike.
2010-06-01 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2893571

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
kdandrea - 2010-06-01 10:00 AM

.... until the right portion, I thought they were required for the the bike as well?

Sorry that should say run portion

2010-06-01 11:55 AM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Yeah, I heard people talking about how they couldn't see anything in the water.  I guess you shouldn't get too used to pool swimming......

I thought I remembered a race official at the DandQ tri night talking about having the race bibs on for biking so the drafting marshalls and whatnot could identify you easier.....Oh well.  Just a curiosity question.....

Edited by kdandrea 2010-06-01 11:57 AM
2010-06-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2894149

See if you can do some open water swimming before your first race.  There are some open swim sessions in Wenonah in June (2nd link below).  The first link is for an open water swim clinic.

http://www.trifind.com/re_14152/ETACoachOpenWaterSwimClinic.html
http://www.cgiracing.com/OpenWaterSwims.aspx

Re: the race bib - I specifically asked someone at the race if we needed the bib on during the bike since they did not give out numbers to stick on the bike.  His response was that USAT rules only stated that you needed the bib on when you cross the finish line.  Even if you didn't have it on you might not be called on it.   I did a D&Q race a couple of years ago where I was about 1/2 mile into the run when I realized I had forgotten to grab my race number.  Bodymarkings were visible and I figured that between that and the chip, I wouldn't have any issues.  So, rather than turn back, I took my chances.  No-one said a word.
2010-06-02 8:31 AM

User image

Expert

With regard to race bib on during the ride.  I belive the USAT offical was talking specifically about larger 70.3 & full distance races.  A lot of times since there is a Professional field there the adopt some of the WTC rules and there may be a mix of both USAT and WTC rules that apply.  One of the WTC rules is that you must have a race number displayed on the LEFT side of your bike frame in plain sight for race officials.  Also you must wear your race bib on the bike and run. 

What I do is just put it on under my wetsuit and make sure that it's in a fairly safe place.  That way once I get on the bike I don't have to mess with it.  It's on from start to finish.  One less thing to worry about.  Works even better if you have a one piece tri suit. 

Most local races like D&Q events don't really care about the little rules like that.  I don't want to say that they ignore them completely but the do tend to look the other way on certain things.  Especially if your not placing for the overall win.  It's suppose to be a race but it's also suppose to be fun. 

2010-06-02 9:18 AM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Very cool.  Thanks for the info.

Also, One other thing I forgot.  The swimmers actually started about knee deep in the water.  I don't know why, but I guess I assumed they would start on the beach and actually run into the water.  Does that vary from race to race as well, or is the in water start the typical.......

2010-06-02 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2896258

User image

Expert

kdandrea - 2010-06-02 10:18 AM Very cool.  Thanks for the info.

Also, One other thing I forgot.  The swimmers actually started about knee deep in the water.  I don't know why, but I guess I assumed they would start on the beach and actually run into the water.  Does that vary from race to race as well, or is the in water start the typical.......

Every race is different.  The race director(s) will pretty much control the format and start of the race.  Some are in water wade starts where you can't stand, some are knee deep, some are on the beach, some you jump off a boat in a river and line up... Very hard to say.   Usually race morning they will let you know and it usually stays consistent from year to year.

If you have questions about a particular race just email the RD and I am sure they will be willing to help with any questions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hammonton Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed