Gatlinburg Recreation Department
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m
Overall Rank = 9/16
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race site and checked in ate a granola bar and a banana.
Event warmup:

Walked around the pool.
Swim
  • 14m 44s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim for me. Everyone had to share a lane but that was not a problem. I had enough room, just had make sure that I stayed to my side of the lane. Since it is Gatlinburg, I expected the swim to be hilly too but it was flat.
What would you do differently?:

Still need better technique
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Walked from the pool to the bike rack, maybe 40 yards. Could have jogged it and been faster otherwise reasonable transition. Fifth fastest transition.
Bike
  • 49m 22s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Checked my bike the night before and learned that my front derailleur was broken and would not go out of the big chain ring (poor planning indeed). I made it up the first hill in the big ring albeit very slowly but no way I could make it up the last one like that. Stopped partway up the hill and put in smaller ring by hand but forgot to shift first so the chain went right back to the big ring. Stopped again and did it right then made it up the hill and into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Check my bike with enough time to get it fixed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time was included with the bike but I didn't spend much time here. Water available in transition. No aid stations on the course but not really any needed for a sprint tri.
Run
  • 27m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was suprisingly still ahead of a friend from work at the turn around point. I thought he would pass me on the bike but I had a bigger lead on him after the swim than I thought I would have. He got right behind me at the end but I out-kicked him up the steep driveway to beat him by a few seconds. That is good for me because once he learns to swim better, I will never beat him again.
Post race
Warm down:

Horizontal in the grass 10 feet after the finish line. The sprint up the hill was harsh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Banana pudding, oatmeal raisin cookies and ice cream

Event comments:

I like this sprint tri because it is a half mile swim. The other sprint tri's in the area are in a pool and have a much shorter swim due to a time trial start and swimming up and down each lane. Well organized and inexpensive. Be prepared for cool and sometimes rainy this time of the year. I plan to do it again next year. Not sure why less people did it this year than last year only 16 individual entries and 6 relays compared to about 30 - 40 last year.

Last updated: 2010-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:44 | 880 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 6/16
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: 16 laps in an indoor pool. Water temp was good. Outside air temp was chilly. Start is in waves and one wave finishes the swim and goes to transition then the next wave starts. So about 20 minutes from the start of one wave to the start of the next.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:22 | 12.43 miles | 15.11 mile/hr
Overall: 11/16
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Down a big hill from the community center. One right and two left turns to head back up the hill. Then down the back side of the hill which is the largest of the two sides. Two loops around the country side, through a covered bridge, then back up the monster hill to the community center.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:55 | 03.11 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 10/16
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back course. Down a steep driveway from transition, then onto a road and further downhill for about half a mile or so, then flat to rolling to the turn around point. Tough finish up the hill and the very steep driveway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes