Ironman North America Athlete Services
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 25m 45s
Overall Rank = 1164/2444
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 206/411
Pre-race routine:

In town race - so I woke up bright and early and headed to Disney. Got to race site, checked out my bike, pumped up the tires, and laid out all of my transition goodies. Walked through steps of T1 & T2... made sure all of my stuff was where it was supposed to be.
Event warmup:

The lovely people at Disney don't let you really do a swim warm-up so I just waded in calf deep and did various stretching excercises.
Swim
  • 36m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim is my strength. Had a dandy of a time. Water temp was fine. Last 200 yds was pretty crowded.
What would you do differently?:

Wish my bi-lateral breathing was better and that I didn't have to breathe every stroke...
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

Long run into and out of T1. Had to put on knee sleeve and socks. Take some salt tabs. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of time to make sure I have everything correct heading into the bike.

Not too much.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike split age / overall results didn't post on-line for some reason. Course got crowded as I rode into the slower participants from the earlier starting age groupers... and the faster 30 - 35 year old riders who started the swim after me were like a draft line 6 or 8 long passing riders. It was pretty ridiculous. They didn't seem to make an effort to overtake and move to the right, or to break up their tight and close together draft line. Other than the portion of the race on Hwy 192, the road was smooth and felt safe. Aid stations hand offs were decent. Head wind was nasty last 11 miles. I was extremely relieved to get off the bike...

Work on my abs / back / core. Aero position for that long is tough. Stronger core would minimize the discomfort. More time training on the bike equals less time competing on the bike...
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Long run into T2. Had to put my hand to my ear... to let the crowd know that I wanted to hear from them.
Racked bike, took salt tabs, changed socks, put on shoes... helmet still on! Oops. Take helmet off, put hat on. Off to the yucky part. My 13.1 mile waddle in the humid sweat-pool that is a shade-less, breeze-less Central Florida run. Thank the Lord for the Aid Stations. They all did a great job. Huge Thanks to all of the volunteers.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

You've read it on the other reports. Wear old shoes. Prepare to sweat. Don't pass out. Take your salt tabs and try to survive. 3 laps is actually pretty cool. 1st lap was tough. Lap 2 was pretty good pace. Lap 3 was just trying to finish.

It all comes down to brick work-outs and training. If I trained more, I would've been faster. But, I am satisfied with my performance considering I missed Augusta 70.3 with a bum knee and spent most of my run training in a pool.
Post race
Warm down:

Donde esta la cerveza??? Water, checking out my cool-ass medal and chompin' on some pizza. Tried to stretch, but was too tired. Drove home and watched some tv.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, and conditioning

Event comments:

Shuttle buses at the end of the day stink for the spectators. Volunteers did a great job. Where's my finisher's hat? I wanted and article of clothing that said "finisher" and they didn't have any that I saw. That was disappointing.
Miami 70.3 is next. Can't wait!!!!

Last updated: 2010-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 59/411
Overall: 309/2444
Performance: Good
Suit: Regular tri top & bottom
Course: 3/4's of a rectangle - buoys on left. I breathe on the left side so sun in the eyes was a problem on way in...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:47:38 | 56 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/411
Overall: 0/2444
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Disney / West Orange County, FL. Some rolling hills. Big chain ring up front for essentially the entire race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 206/411
Overall: 1164/2444
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-19 3:29 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2010-05-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2869204

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
great job - must be nice to have it in town!!!

you are quite the fish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed