General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stony Creek Tri swim temperature Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-19 11:38 PM

Subject: Stony Creek Tri swim temperature
Hey all, 
My fiancee is doing this one and I can't find what the water temperature currently is or will be.  Tried a couple of sources but just can't figure it out!
Thanks,
Sax 

2010-05-20 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2870004

New user
Subject: RE: Stony Creek Tri swim temperature
I live just down the road drom the park and in the past the water has been right around 67 to 69 degrees at the end of may/start of june.  This next few weeks of weather is supposed to be real warm, so that should help!
2010-05-20 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
I just re-found this website that someone posted last year... It doesn't necessarily have ALL lakes, but it has a lot of them.

http://www.fishingnotes.com/

Click on the state, then I usually go to the "View All Michigan Lakes" tab, and you can select the lake by name (if it's there).  You might have to search a little bit to find the current and average temps.
2010-05-20 8:32 PM

User image

Royal Oak
I do not know the temperature, but we were in the water at Stoney last night with a full wetsuits...a bit chilly at first, but fine after a few minutes of warming up.  There were also two kids swimming (without wetsuits) and in the water for at least 15 minutes.  

I do not remember the water being cold last year at the Stoney Tri (Memorial Day weekend).  A number of people were not wearing wetsuits at all.  Hopefully this helps!     
2010-05-21 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2872558

Master

blakekenny1 - 2010-05-20 9:32 PM I do not know the temperature, but we were in the water at Stoney last night with a full wetsuits...a bit chilly at first, but fine after a few minutes of warming up.  There were also two kids swimming (without wetsuits) and in the water for at least 15 minutes.  

I do not remember the water being cold last year at the Stoney Tri (Memorial Day weekend).  A number of people were not wearing wetsuits at all.  Hopefully this helps!     

Where do you swim at Stoney Creek?  Are you sticking to the immediate beach area?

2010-05-22 9:02 AM

User image

Royal Oak
We were at Baypoint Beach and stayed within 1000 yds of the beach.  Technically, I do not think you are allowed to swim there this early in the season, based on the NO SWIMMING sign posted. However, I am sure that in a few weeks, the swim area will be set up and swimming will be allowed.  They do close that area in the evening and lifeguards will make you stay in the swim area, while it is open.

Right down the road, (Winter Cove) does not have lifeguards and they do not restrict where you can swim. Just be sure to steer clear of propellers...

http://www.metroparks.com/images/maps/stony_creek.pdf#pagemode=thumbs

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stony Creek Tri swim temperature Rss Feed