General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Detroit Area: Looking for a good spot to run/bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-20 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson, OH
Subject: Visiting Detroit Area: Looking for a good spot to run/bike
I am coming to visit my brother in Canton this week and need some training ideas. I am meeting a friend who lives in Monroe.. So given those two locations, where is a good spot to bike and run? I was thinking Lower Huron because its central to us, but don't know about the quality for biking and running. Isn't it kinda short for a bike ride? Also, are there speed bumps?

Also, we are biking one day and running another day. So it could be two different locations. Just trying to keep our cities in mind.

Thanks!

Edited by ky1123 2010-05-20 12:31 PM

2010-05-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2871360

Subject: Hines Park
Hines Park runs from Dearborn to Northville and has a nice, wide shoulder.  On Saturdays from 9am-3pm, a 6-mile stretch from Dearborn to Livonia is closed to traffic.  As with all roads that are shared with cars, you have to be careful, but this is a place where many riders ride.
2010-05-20 12:46 PM

Regular
Plymouth, MI
Subject: RE: Visiting Detroit Area: Looking for a good spot to run/bike
I would second the recommendation for biking on Hines Drive. There is a nice wide shoulder and you'll see bikers on the road at all times of the day. There are also plenty of bathrooms along the road if you are doing a long ride. From one end to the other is 18 miles so you can plan any length of ride you need. There is also a multi-use path if you wanted to bike and run in the same day. And it's only 15 minutes from Canton, so very easy to access. A good place to start is Newburg Point. You can park there and start biking in either direction. Here's a link from the county web site:

http://www.waynecounty.com/mygovt/dps/depts/parks/newburgh.aspx

You can also head up to Kennsington Park or Island Lake Recreational Park if you are interested in riding some hills (remember this is Michigan....so the hills aren't that bad). There is a fee to enter both parks, but they are very bike and runner friendly.

Have fun! 
2010-05-20 12:54 PM

Master

How long are you in town?  If you're here for the weekend, you are more than welcome to join the MI BT Rawk Squad (an unofficial tri team) for our Unofficial Triathlon on Sunday at Island Lake. 

Check out the othe threads here on the Michigan forum for details...but there is a flat-repair clinic at 9am, the "tri" starts at 10am (whatever distance you want) and a pot-luck lunch will follow. 

We'd love to have you out!

2010-05-20 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson, OH
Thanks.. I have run on Hines Drive a lot when I have visited my bro. Its great for long runs, too. Can we bike side by side on Hines Drive? I am used to biking in the country and being able to converse.

Do the Metroparks have speed bumps on the main roads? I would rather not go on a multi-use path.

My friend originally wanted to go to Kensington, since that is where her Tri is going to be - but I thought it was too far for her to drive (from Monroe). But maybe we should?
2010-05-20 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Boston

Lower huron bike path  connects to three parks for about a 30 mile loop. Nice quiet place to ride, not a lot of traffic. The roads are in decent shape.  Very nice place to run, bathrooms thru out.   Nice distance between the two locations.  Monreo has Sterling state park, which has a nice running area. Just pm if you have any questions about loweer huron, thats my local ride.

2010-05-20 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2871477

User image

Veteran
Hudson, OH
hamiltks10 - 2010-05-20 1:54 PM

How long are you in town?  If you're here for the weekend, you are more than welcome to join the MI BT Rawk Squad (an unofficial tri team) for our Unofficial Triathlon on Sunday at Island Lake. 

Aw, I wish I could! I have to be done by about 10 am though so my husband can go get his workout in! He has basketball games already set up.

And I totally need to hit that flat repair clinic, too. Darn.
2010-05-22 10:01 AM

I second Lower Huron, great safe place to ride/run 30mile round trip.
2010-05-22 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

We ride in Lower Huron, the connector Willow and Oakwoods Metroparks quite a bit.  No speed bumps.  We usually stick to the paved walkway since it's in much nicer shape then the roads and provided it's during the weekdays there's not to many folks on the trails.  We have bells on our tri bikes to give folks a heads up, not to mention slowing down a bit.  I don't normally ride down there on weekends.  From the south end of Willow Metropark is Willow Rd, you can ride that west towards Milan and I think it's around 14 miles from the MP to US 23 just north of Milan.  The road is decent enough and usually not to bad with traffic.  Sumpter Rd also runs north and south off of Willow and that can be rode south towards Monroe, thou some of the roads down near Monroe will rattle your teeth loose, I still need to find a good route down that way.

Another nice place to run coming from Canton and not that bad if US 23 is an option from Monroe, is in Ann Arbor.  There's a paved trail along the Huron River with some restrooms and occasional maps.  We normally drive west on Geddes and you have to options to park.  The first you'll hit is the old mill, kinda of a historic site along a small river, parking will be on your left after crossing the bridge for the river, can't miss it.  If we don't park there, we turn left or south on Dixboro and turn down a street on the right just south of the intersection.  There's parking along the river there.  At last check Geddes is closed going over US 23, so the options of parking at other parks is kinda of a pain now.

Depending on weather and if you don't mind dirt roads.  Park in Cherry Hill Village, plenty of parking around Cherry Hill and Ridge, and you can run out on Cherry Hill, which turns to dirt and turn up Napier, Gotfredson or Berry and head north to make a lot of different loops with Warren or Joy as other dirt east/west options.  Not sure how far your looking to go.  Some nice hills and it's rather peaceful.  I ride my hybrid and run out that way often and see other runners out there especially on weekends.

Otherwise if I'm not on the hybrid, I drive out to Island Lake or Kensington which you can connect to easy enough, or I drive out to Dexter or Chelsea and ride out into the sticks from there, not the most convenient option.  I'm not a fan of being buzzed by cars.

2010-05-25 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson, OH
We ended up running near my friend's house in Monroe. She said we ran on some of the racing for recovery trail. ANd we ended up biking on Hines Drive.. I have to say, Hines Drive is heavenly for biking.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we will try Lower Huron next time now that we have a good number of people who vouch for it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting Detroit Area: Looking for a good spot to run/bike Rss Feed