General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cascade Edge Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-20 1:24 PM

User image

lake stevens
Subject: Cascade Edge Tri
Has anyone raced this event? What do you think of it? Would love to get a Oly in June if it's a good event.
Thanks   http://www.racecenter.com/cascadesedge/

Edited by kpray 2010-05-20 1:39 PM

2010-05-20 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2871633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cascade Edge Tri
I did it last year and enjoyed it. The venue is good, the lake was nice and warm then and the course easily marked for the swim (2 times around the bouys). The bike leg was not the best as far as course layout goes, it had several out and back portions to get to the right distance including 1 turn around at the very top of the hill. Most of the roads are open to traffic still BUT the police and volunteer presence and traffic control was great. The run was really nice starting on some dirt/pot holed roads, going to regular blacktop for a bit and then back into the park for a 1 lap trail run around the lake to finish off the 10k. The run distance markers could have been a little clearer I think but really there was nothing to complain about. The schwag and food were average or a little below but I do not race for that so I did not care so much. The only other thing I would not is the parking situation in that area is not the best so if you do decide to go carpooling is your best bet.
2010-05-24 11:41 AM

User image

Kayak Point, WA
I have done the Sprint the last two years.  I will be doing the Oly this year.
It is reasonable for a smaller race.  I didn't hear great things about the markings for the Oly distance last year (well described above) but I am going to try it.

Michael
2010-06-13 6:38 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Does anyone know how warm the water is right now? I am planning on racing the oly this weekend and today my wetsuit ripped. I doubt I will get another one before I head up there on thursday so I'm hoping the water is above the 55 degrees that all of the ponds around here are.
2010-06-14 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2918902

User image

Kayak Point, WA
I can't give you any specifcs on that lake but so far this year I had heard several complaints about how cold several lakes were.  I went for my first OWS this year this weekend and I was surprised by how warm it was after hearing all of the complaints.  Last year there were several people without wet suits I think it will be chilly but you should be fine once you get used to it.

Sorry I dont' have any other specifics.

How will I recognize you there?  Will you be with others also?

Michael
2010-06-15 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
My race number is 111. I will be riding a white Jamis Ventura with clip on aero bars and a disc cover.

2010-06-17 12:21 PM

User image

Kayak Point, WA
Josh,
I am race number 129.  Riding a P2C (black and grey).  I will be there with a friend doing the Sprint and will try to look out for you and introduce myself.

According to the pre-briefing I got the water temp will be close to 60.

I am crossing my fingers for beautiful weather!

Michael
2010-06-19 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2928227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
I heard the water temp today was 52?  Yikes!  Not the best racing weather either.
2010-06-20 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2932029

I guess doing events in June on this side of the mountains is Risky.

Yup, the water was 52 degrees - the event turned out to be one of the most miserable events I have participated in (didn't have to much fun the last time I did this venue in 2007

But overall, having done this course a second time around - despite the weather.  I think I am done with this venue.   Parking was horrible, I did not like the bike course.  

Also, for me it is getting kind of old doing events where theres Olympics, Sprints, Duathlon all occurring at the same time, and going through the same finish all around the same time.

2010-06-21 1:55 PM

I agree with Jorge.  I guess I wasn't aware this event was so quasi-elite.  That made me one of the much slower racers, but that shouldn't have made me feel totally deserted by the end.  I couldn't get any guidance on the way out of transition to the run start, and I found myself both biking and running long, long stretches seeing no one and no signs.  I kept figuring I must be on course, which happily ended up being the case.  Few volunteers were knowledgeable or enthusiastic (my odometer wasn't working and not one volunteer on the bike course knew what mile they were posted on!).  Conditions were horrid, which no one can control, I know, and bottom line there weren't many women, or women my age, and I FINISHED IT!
2010-06-23 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2934775

User image

Kayak Point, WA
I guess everyone has their own perspective on events based on their experience.

I went into this event with a new set of standards/goals when it became clear that it was likely to be cold/wet during the event.

I was disapointed in the shortened swim because that was one of my primary reasons for the event, however after doing the swim I understand the decision and can see why they did it.  The "mosh pit" in the 52 degree water was more difficult than any of my other OWS's I remember.

The bike course has a few "out and backs" that I didn't appreciate and it is a continually rolling hills course but other than the water falling I felt it was well marked and I had a good time with no issues.  I was also much warmer on the bike than I had dredded from the weather and water temp which was an excellent learning experience.

The run was a little short but not bad either.  A little cold after being on the bike which was difficult to get into the correct pace for those bodies less experienced but other than that it was ok.

My transition times were horrible but I knew they would be before the race due to the weather and not knowing what I would wear and when until after coming out of the water.  All in all it was a good learning experience that helped me learn what I would do when racing in not optimal weather and how my training is working at this point.

Parking has always been difficult at this event but if plan ahead I don't find it difficult at all, many are not much different.  I think that they could have known the water temperature before we got to the event so that people could have been more prepared which I could see as a lack of organization, but all things considered I think I got as much as possible out of the event and participating.

I even got to meet my first BT'er there in person.  Josh, nice to meet you and I hope you enjoyed the Duo

Michael

2010-07-04 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Michael it was nice to meet you too. Sorry I was rushing to try and get all my stuff switched over to the duathlon since I couldn't swim due to my lack of wetsuit. It would have been nice to actually get to chat a little more, maybe next time. I will be doing the ellensburg sprint tri at the end of July as well if anyone else is there.

Edited by JoshR 2010-07-04 12:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cascade Edge Tri Rss Feed