United States
Dallas Athletes
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 46s
Overall Rank = 100/194
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

Camped at the race site (state park). Woke up at 5, got dressed, and easy ride to TA. Got body marked and set up TA. Had a Cliff bar, banana and water. Forgot sunglasses in my truck, so I took an easy jog to get them.
Event warmup:

The ride to the transition area and the run back to the truck were my warmup. Felt pretty loose.
Swim
  • 14m 21s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started near the front of my wave and ran from beach into lake. It was very crowded at the start and the first 100y. Got knocked around and knocked others around pretty much the entire first 100y. At one point I saw a guy swimming perpindicular to my path (I think he was sighting the wrong buoy). I picked up my pace the last 200-ish yards so I could put it all out there on the swim but could not keep it up. Finished strong and pleased with my swim. Great experience. I love open water swims.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. Possibly swim with a wetsuit, which would have allowed me to go faster. I sighted well and breathing was pretty good. I pushed myself almost as much as possible.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Really long distance from beach to T1. Not sure how anyone got through T1 in under 2 min. Had to run uphill and to the far side of TA to my setup (close to exit). As usual, I had a tough time getting my jersey onto my wet body (next time I'll have my tri jersey that I'll swim in). I ran the bike past the mount line and got on and clipped one foot in. I wasn't comfortable in practice with running, jumping and clipping in on the go, so I didn't chance it in the race. 16/19 in age group and 107/194 overall for T1.

Swim in what I'm going to ride in! Practice running bike mount with shoes already on pedals. Other than that, pretty decent T1 performance.
Bike
  • 52m 1s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Some of the hills were a beast to conquer! On the way out I got up to 34 mph going down the biggest hill. Bad news: had to come back up the same hill!! Coming up that same hill I got down as low as 6 mph. At least I stayed with the guy in front of me and no one passed me. I pushed pretty hard and was very satisfied with 18+ mph average. Split: 24 min out/28 min back

I feel pretty good about my bike split. I pushed myself and have no regrets. I might think about getting an aerodrink bottle so I don't have to leave aero position to reach for my water bottle. This might help improve marginally.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Unclipped and hopped off bike before dismount line. Passed a guy on the way into T2 (felt good). I was a little nervous about running so far (all the way across TA) in my bike shoes, but it went well. No problems really. Racked my bike, took off helmet, put running shoes on and headed out of T2. 9/19 in my AG and 51/194 OA for T2.

Could have moved faster getting my shoes on. Didn't sit down or anything. I think this is a great T2 time considering how big the TA was. I'm very pleased.
Run
  • 26m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I paced myself well and was on track with a 8-8.5 min/mile pace the whole run. After the first half mile I wanted to speed up, but thought it would have negatively affected the end of my run. I was passed by a few runners (some not in my race distance that started earlier) and I wanted to hook on to them, but I didn't. Run felt really good overall. Wished I'd have gone a little faster, but overall pleased. I picked up my pace the last 100 yards and all out sprinted the last 40ish. The announcer liked my pace and I got a few cheers for my strong finish.

Might have experimented with pushing a little harder all the way through. I had a good pace and don't feel like I didn't give my all, but who knows what would have happened if I would have tried to go faster. Overall, very pleased though.
Post race
Warm down:

Downed a smart water and powerade very quickly. Sat down for a bit and then eventually had a couple pcs of pizza, Muscle Milk and LOTS more water and electrolyte drinks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I feel like I did a pretty good job giving my all in every discipline. I'm not sure I could have gone much faster on any one segment.

Event comments:

This was a pretty good race. On race day, things ran smoothly and some of the events even started early. Lots of good volunteers and great post-race stuff. My only complaint is the packet pickup. I had to drive to Plano to pick up my packet Saturday and then to the race site (where I stayed) north of Denton. Seemed silly to have packet pickup the day before the race so far away.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:21 | 800 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 109/194
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Out into sun, two turns around buoys, and back to shore. (almost triangle shape)
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:01 | 16.1 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 108/194
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back-rolling hills on country roads. Some new chip seal and overall fairly bumpy course. Thankfully no rain.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:03 | 03.1 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 97/194
Course: Run through state park on paved trails. Some hills, but nothing too bad. Mostly shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-21 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Texasman Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-21 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2873254

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Texasman Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on the race, those times look good!  Everything seems to have gone smoothly.  Sweet pictures, too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texasman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed