General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Approximately how much speed is added with clip on pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-21 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2874490

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: Approximately how much speed is added with clip on pedals?
mgalanter - 2010-05-21 2:12 PM build a base first - ride miles & miles and you'll see a big improvement. 200-500 miles later you'll be faster. Then think about clipless pedals...

Thanks for the 200-500 number, it will give me something to shoot for. I will think about it again in 500 miles. 

2010-05-21 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2873648

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
I can't qualify how much speed is gained but I believe there is definite speed gain.  

Its pretty difficult to pedal efficiently with cages.  I know that way back when that's all there was.  I also know that as soon as the clip less pedals became available, nearly ever racer switched.  Why do you suppose they did that if it didn't make them faster?

You have to wear cycling shoes!   This is huge I think.  They don't flex like running shoes do.  You lose some of your power due to flexing of the foot without them.  More importantly  I think especially at your age (I'm 47 for comparison)  That constant flexing can also injure you.   Tell you what, I ALWAYS wear cycling shoes when riding.   One day I did a spin class  and did not have cycling shoes.    Could not get enough of my feet into those cages.  Then the foot flexing hurt!

Cornering.  I use speed-play pedals and tell you what I can pedal through most turns with them.  That's a big deal.

My opinion is that this is just another one of those you have to get used to, later you won't want to be without them scenarios.  

Edited by oriolepwr 2010-05-21 3:18 PM
2010-05-21 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2874703

User image

Master
Dirt Road
oriolepwr - 2010-05-21 3:18 PM I can't qualify how much speed is gained but I believe there is definite speed gain.  

Its pretty difficult to pedal efficiently with cages.  I know that way back when that's all there was.  I also know that as soon as the clip less pedals became available, nearly ever racer switched.  Why do you suppose they did that if it didn't make them faster?

You have to wear cycling shoes!   This is huge I think.  They don't flex like running shoes do.  You lose some of your power due to flexing of the foot without them.  More importantly  I think especially at your age (I'm 47 for comparison)  That constant flexing can also injure you.   Tell you what, I ALWAYS wear cycling shoes when riding.   One day I did a spin class  and did not have cycling shoes.    Could not get enough of my feet into those cages.  Then the foot flexing hurt!

Cornering.  I use speed-play pedals and tell you what I can pedal through most turns with them.  That's a big deal.

My opinion is that this is just another one of those you have to get used to, later you won't want to be without them scenarios.  

Very interesting - about the  flexing. I have never thought of that. My brother is only biking and has had a couple of injuries in his lower leg that he could not figure out. He is using regular pedals.
2010-05-21 5:20 PM

User image

Master
I have to say that although I don't know about speed gains from the pedals, you are doing pretty good if you just started.
I was about about your speed a couple of years ago. This is the first year I have really put more effort into my bike, and I am getting much closer to making 20 my average.
Clipless pedals do help though. 
2010-05-21 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2874959

User image

Master
Dirt Road
eliwashere - 2010-05-21 5:20 PM I have to say that although I don't know about speed gains from the pedals, you are doing pretty good if you just started.
I was about about your speed a couple of years ago. This is the first year I have really put more effort into my bike, and I am getting much closer to making 20 my average.
Clipless pedals do help though. 

Define more effort. What were you doing/what are you doing? 
2010-05-21 7:46 PM

User image

clipless pedals is a must have IMO.  Unless you're riding as a form of commute, where you aren't trying to improve your speed to the grocery store.

just do it...you will not regret it.  I don't know one person that regrets getting clipless pedals.

2010-05-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2874490

User image

Pro
Burbs
mgalanter - 2010-05-21 3:12 PM build a base first - ride miles & miles and you'll see a big improvement. 200-500 miles later you'll be faster. Then think about clipless pedals...

I disagree. Why ride for "miles and miles" in cages and THEN try to get used to clipless pedals? Almost everyone seems to agree that clipless makes your pedaling more efficient -- why not learn how to ride with them upfront?
2010-05-21 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2875109

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

trishie - 2010-05-21 7:57 PM
mgalanter - 2010-05-21 3:12 PM build a base first - ride miles & miles and you'll see a big improvement. 200-500 miles later you'll be faster. Then think about clipless pedals...

I disagree. Why ride for "miles and miles" in cages and THEN try to get used to clipless pedals? Almost everyone seems to agree that clipless makes your pedaling more efficient -- why not learn how to ride with them upfront?

And I disagree with you. To encourage a new rider with limited bike handling skills to jump right into clipless is wrong--not to mention the cost. The 200-500 miles seems reasonable. I did more miles than that before I made the change. Beginnertriathlete, remember?

Edited by zed707 2010-05-21 8:52 PM
2010-05-21 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
New to the sport and with one race under my belt.  I been wrestling with the same question with the clip on pedals.  I will be on my bike rides and wonder how much better I would be with the clip on pedals.  Will I read all the posts and took the comments to heart from all and decided to push myself harder with what I have.  I shaved five minutes off my normal ride and averaged over 22 MPH which is a best for me.  I am sure at some point I will get the clip on pedals but for now I need to keep pushing myself.  Thanks to all for the motivation to push myself.  I love this website.
2010-05-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2875146

User image

Pro
Burbs
zed707 - 2010-05-21 9:38 PM

And I disagree with you. To encourage a new rider with limited bike handling skills to jump right into clipless is wrong--not to mention the cost. The 200-500 miles seems reasonable. I did more miles than that before I made the change. Beginnertriathlete, remember?

Agree to disagree

I started out with clipless pedals on a used road bike (I knew how to ride a bike, but had never biked in a race) and that worked well for me -- I never had to learn how to make the switch from cages to clipless. Of course, I started out on bike paths, practiced in empty parking lots, etc. before I was comfortable enough to go clipless on the road.

To each his own, though !
2010-05-21 9:02 PM

User image

NC

And I disagree with you. To encourage a new rider with limited bike handling skills to jump right into clipless is wrong. The 200-500 miles seems reasonable. I did more miles than that before I made the change. Beginnertriathlete, remember?

I've been riding for less time than the OP.  Seriously.  I got my first proper bike about a week ago and started with clipless.  I rode the kitchen table for about 30 minutes, clip in/clip out, and then graduated to the front yard.  I obviously fell down, just once but I got it out of my system and it was on grass/weeds.  I've been on several rides now and it's been fine.  I think clipless is good, even for the beginner as long as you ease in to it.  I'm the ultimate beginner.  I don't know anything about faster, because I'm very slow, but I do like the feeling of working the full pedal stroke and not worrying about falling off the pedal when you put some effort on it.

2010-05-21 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2875173

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

trishie - 2010-05-21 9:01 PM

Agree to disagree

I started out with clipless pedals on a used road bike (I knew how to ride a bike, but had never biked in a race) and that worked well for me -- I never had to learn how to make the switch from cages to clipless. Of course, I started out on bike paths, practiced in empty parking lots, etc. before I was comfortable enough to go clipless on the road.

To each his own, though !

Yep, agree to disagree . Maybe the OP or other readers don't have the bike path, parking lot thing going on and they actually have to ride on the road. In that case, I'd suggest learning to ride the bike well before you switch to clipless.

Edited by zed707 2010-05-21 9:14 PM
2010-05-21 9:17 PM

User image

zed707 - 2010-05-21 4:38 PM

I got clipless pedals 1 week after I got my road bike.  The only reason I didn't get them the same time was because I found the pedals cheaper on ebay than at the LBS with the discount the were offering.

Of course I had ridden hundreds of miles with my hybrid and platform pedals before that...but I'm assuming the OP and anyone else in this thread asking about clipless pedals is in the same situation...that they already know how to ride a bike.

Clipless pedals are only dangerous when starting and stopping.  I don't know how riding 200-500 miles on your new road bike will prepare you better for using clipless pedals.  You're still going to tip over in the beginning.

If we're talking about the first bike you have ever owned and have zero riding experience...then of course, don't go clipless till you are comfortable riding in general.  But I'm assuming everyone in BT is already beyod training wheels.
2010-05-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2875191

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

tri808 - 2010-05-21 9:17 PM
zed707 - 2010-05-21 4:38 PM

I got clipless pedals 1 week after I got my road bike. The only reason I didn't get them the same time was because I found the pedals cheaper on ebay than at the LBS with the discount the were offering.

Of course I had ridden hundreds of miles with my hybrid and platform pedals before that...but I'm assuming the OP and anyone else in this thread asking about clipless pedals is in the same situation...that they already know how to ride a bike.

Clipless pedals are only dangerous when starting and stopping. I don't know how riding 200-500 miles on your new road bike will prepare you better for using clipless pedals. You're still going to tip over in the beginning.

If we're talking about the first bike you have ever owned and have zero riding experience...then of course, don't go clipless till you are comfortable riding in general. But I'm assuming everyone in BT is already beyod training wheels.

I'm not getting why you think you would think the OP has more than "training wheels". Read the OP again. Beginnertriathlete.com.

2010-05-21 9:36 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
He means beyond training wheels

Beginnertriathlete.com doesn't mean totally incapable of riding a bike, or even incapable of learning to ride clipless. I got clipless when I got my first road bike, and never looked back. YMMV, but that doesn't mean everyone has to start on platforms or toe clips.

Edited by the bear 2010-05-21 9:37 PM
2010-05-21 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Again I am just very new and trying to figure out where my priorities should be concerning gear. The bike is my weakness and I know motor work is first, but just trying to find out how much difference the clip on pedals make. I have some experience with running and swimming. I guess I feel I know how to get faster in those two, but the bike seems almost out of reach. 

2010-05-21 9:42 PM

User image

The answer is simple...it will make so much of a difference you will never want to ride without them again

If you want an exact answer...then it's 1.376 mph.  Sorry for the sarcasm...but your asking for an exact answer that does not exist.
2010-05-21 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
Just go Clipless.  I hadn't ridden in years. I bought my first road bike started with clipless. If you have a trainer practice clipping in and out. If not just go for it.  You'll be fine.
2010-05-21 10:11 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

And be aware that almost everyone I know has fallen with new pedals. Usually a no speed very embarrassing fall in front of large groups of people, but no damage!  Buy some, soon you'll love them.

2010-05-21 11:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I had this same question 2 years ago- and same as now, no one could give a quantifiable answer.  I did test myself on the same route 2 weeks in a row and was almost 1 km/hr (so around .6 mph) faster with clipless.  I think another guy did it and found the same thing, or maybe he gained a little more speed.
That said, I wasn't totally used to clipless at that point.  I've been thinking about trying this test again now that I'm really used to clipless but I have no desire to do a fast 1-hour ride without.  Someone else mentioned this- once you get used to it you never want to go back.  Also, now that I'm used to the pedal stroke of clipless, I have a pretty gimpy pedal stroke on platform pedals.
For what it's worth, I've never had a real problem running off the bike, so I assume the clipless pedals have something to do with that.
I do really like the idea of getting used to your bike before going clipless though.  To each their own, but if you're not confident with your handling/ stopping/ starting skills, adding unclipping into the mix can add some extra stress.
Also, I used SPD pedals and a mountain bike shoe with a pretty stiff sole.  I have to bike through a pretty congested area to get to where I train and I commute to work a few days a week on my road bike, and the sole allows me to pedal for a short time without being clipped in- really nice in crowded/ sketchy situations.  This kind of setup might be an option for the OP.  I know I lose a little bit of power by not have a carbon-soled shoe with a bigger pedal, but it's a good trade-off for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Approximately how much speed is added with clip on pedals? Rss Feed  

of 2