General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Encouraging the neighbor...WOW Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-21 8:13 PM

Subject: Encouraging the neighbor...WOW
My wife helped our neighbor finish mowing her yard last night after she had a long bike ride and pushed mowed for three hours in our yard. The neighbor is heavy and is having back issues. She is two years from retirement from a job that has crazy weekly rotating 12 hour shifts.

I went over tonight and visited with her. I suggested that no job was worth the pain she was going through and that she should come along with us the the local gym where she used to have a membership.

While she agreed that we had valid points, she doesn't feel that she can quit yet.

Finally she said, "My beer is getting cold sitting out on the deck."

A beer sounded so good right then as I gingerly walked back sore from another workout with the trainer. Maybe it's time to train less and enjoy more.

2010-05-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2875120

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Encouraging the neighbor...WOW
For the most part I have found that training is more enjoyable than drinking beer. Not that it really has to be an either/or thing.
2010-05-21 9:22 PM

User image

I have found that enjoying a beer after a good workout is one of the best things ever... Why not enjoy one? everything in moderation right... if you go for a 3 hour ride, you have definitely earned at least one beer...

Might as well enjoy every bit of life you can!!
2010-05-21 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Here you go.  You can use the beer calculator to figure out how many calories you've burned during your workout, and how that equates to how many, of what type, of beers you can enjoy...

Now you can enjoy your beer, and not feel guilty about it! )

http://draftmag.com/calories/
2010-05-22 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Odessa
This is an interesting topic that I have been thinking about lately.  I was pretty much an alcoholic a month ago.  I drank every night just to help me sleep.  Every since I started working out, the need is no longer there.  I don't think I have had a drink in over a week (which is a long time for me).  I am glad to hear though that if I do have a drink, I didn't just negate all the workout I have done.  Just have to remember that moderation thing.
2010-05-22 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2875711

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
a_l_existence - 2010-05-22 4:52 PM This is an interesting topic that I have been thinking about lately.  I was pretty much an alcoholic a month ago.  I drank every night just to help me sleep.  Every since I started working out, the need is no longer there.  I don't think I have had a drink in over a week (which is a long time for me).  I am glad to hear though that if I do have a drink, I didn't just negate all the workout I have done.  Just have to remember that moderation thing.

If this is not just hyperbole, I would recommend being very cautious about having a drink.  It is extremely easy to make one drink two or three; and then to start to justify daily drinking to the point of passing out (or "going to sleep") all over again.  As someone who has worked professionaly with a lot of people trying to get sober, I have seen a lot of times where they are using a lot of rationalization to get themselves back into trouble.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Encouraging the neighbor...WOW Rss Feed