United States
Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 28m 54s
Overall Rank = 1224/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 105/
Pre-race routine:

Typical peanut butter bagel, english muffin with jelly, banana, and coffee. Saw our friend Jackie that works at In-Step a couple days/week just before the start. She was spectating. We settled in just behind the 4:15 pacer.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 28m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I have no idea what I was thinking. I drank at every station and had a 4 bottle belt. For some reason, I just didn't think right. My wife and I planned to finish together as this was our first marathon. We cruised for 19 miles then the wheels fell off for me. It was not the "wall"...I've felt that on our 22 mile runs. I drank too much...got numb in my fingers and toes, felt cold, had trouble focusing (blurry) and felt like vomiting. Had two medical people ask me if I was alright and ask if I wanted help. NO! Too stubborn for that...I am going to finish. Turned into a run/walk which upset my wife because she thought I just wasn't "nutting up". I finally explained at mile 23 what had been happening since mile 19. She got pissed which I expected. I told her I will be fine and just manage through it. Ran the last mile, around Lambeau which was awesome (my wife was shouting, pumping her fists, high-fiving everyone she could, singing with the music, it was awesome to see), ran across the finish line. I remember telling medical that I was tingly and blurry, but that I'd be fine. Got medal, shirt, and walked a bit. In-laws brought our boys to three different spots along the way which was a nice surprise. We were on pace for a 4:00 first marathon but I had to screw it up by not drinking only when thirsty!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not drink so darn much! Drink when thirsty only. Except if they are offering root beer which was great.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being stupid and drinking too much during the run!

Event comments:

I will do this race next year. I will not drink too much and I will finish sub-4. I hope to assist my wife in her attempt to BQ next year. 3:45 is very doable for her.

Last updated: 2009-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
04:28:54 | 26.2 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3