General Discussion Race Reports! » TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sims, NC, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 39s
Overall Rank = 72/107
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

Alarm at 5:25, but didn't get up until 5:45 - oops. Bagle with egg, cheese, and turkey my beautiful wife made for me and my usual can of Coke on the way. Packed great the night before so we were out the door at 6:05. Even stopping for gas we made it at 6:45. We were parked within 50 yards of transition making for an easy, low stress setup. Still have ALOT of trouble getting into my wetsuit. Ate a Powerbar right before the start - too close to the start. Had to run to transtion for a quick sip to wash it down.
Event warmup:

I swam back and forth behind the start line, mostly because it seemed more efficient than just treading water and I wanted to get the suit situated.
Swim
  • 22m 59s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out drafting well except I kept getting too close. I let up a little to avoid getting kicked, but then I lost a lot of ground quickly. I drifted a little inside of the 1st buoy, but corrected in time. From here on I was with a small group in the back except when the next wave's leaders were flying by me. This one guy was doing elementary back stroke and was killing me with his frog kicks. Went wide around him. Almost got sick in the water, maybe from the late PowerBar. That would have been really gross. Overall, I felt slow but steady.
What would you do differently?:

Eat earlier and stick with the wave as long as I can kicked or not.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

This was just ridiculously slow. I come out of the water too disoriented. Maybe I'm just so relieved the swim is done that I feel like the race is over. I talked to the family a little, lost my balance getting out of the wetsuit, and folded it up neatly out of the way.

I did remember to take my gel coming in.

Something, I just don't know what.
Bike
  • 55m 37s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out too slow, stuck behind a guy getting into his shoes and having trouble with the intial turns and not staying at all right. He almost crossed the yellow himself not passing anyone. I just wanted to go a little faster, but didn't want to waste energy sprinting by him.

Once on the 1st main road (wonderful new pavement) I passed and was rocking along >20, but it was a little more uphill than I thought. After one hill I just couldn't get any speed back. I started checking for flats or rubbing breaks. I did get back up to a good speed after the turn onto rougher roads which I guess were not as generally uphill.

This was a really enjoyable ride. I even enjoyed the one killer hill. I was standing for it and calmly (and slowly) picking my way through other riders. I was spent at the top, but it felt great!

I managed to take a gel on the bike 36 minutes in. I was starting to feel sluggish so I took it a little early than the 45 plan.

Pass when I feel like passing and let them repass if they need to.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Great dismount at the line. Really tired running in, I had literally just said, "I'm done," right before seeing the park entrance. I racked my bike the handle bars this time wich is more stable, so faster to set it up straight. Switch to the shoes was good. Grabbed the visor with race belt attached and ran.

Nothing.
Run
  • 26m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Decided first thing that my earlier gel was too early to get me to the finish so I took another. I felt like I pushed hard most of the time and was on the verge of overheating the entire run. Drank very little but dumped most of a cup on my head at each aid station.

My feet were hurting, or maybe just falling asleep, late in the run. I switched my yankz from a really old pair of shoes to my current shoes and they had some tight spots.

Don't switch laces the night before a race. In my defense, this is just a tune-up race for me to try to break some speed goals at Gary Kirby.
Post race
Warm down:

Going to get an ice cold Coke. ;) I continued to walk and I did stretch, but nothing specific.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I have improved in my competitive spirit.

Event comments:

Although I tend to look for races that play to my strengths (or away from my weaknesses) and this has a long swim, it was great! The bike course is the highlight for me, but the swim is nice and the run is fairly flat. I think they should make this an oly or half and really take advantage of those rural roads.

Last updated: 2010-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:59 | 1094 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 94/107
Performance: Average
Suit: F2R sleeveless
Course: Basically a triangle with 3 roughly equal stretches.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:37 | 17 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 60/107
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Country roads, some fabulous, some a bit rough, but all low traffic.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:24 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 65/107
Performance: Good
Course: Basically an out and back horseshoe with a turnaround to repeat part of the out and back. So not quite a 2 lap out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-23 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon

2010-05-24 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2876512

User image

Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon

Awesome job!  That was a tough race but lots of fun!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRY SPORTS Battle at Buckhorn Triathlon Rss Feed