Trifort
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m
Overall Rank = 32/94
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

I got up around 4:00 and had a bowl of cereal, some OJ and coffee. i did some yoga to stretch out before I left for the race. I was planning on bringing a single spare inner tube but went back in the house and got a second spare. That turned out to be a good idea as I found a flat when I got to Pokagon.
Event warmup:

Not much. I did a little stretching, but didn't want to do much.
Swim
  • 24m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was surprised with my swim. I've been doing pretty much only TI drills since February and only had one swim over 1000 yards in the last few months. That being said, this was by far my best swim to date. I was 2 minutes faster than my previous best and was not overly tired when I got out of the water. I did have one problem in that when I stood up and started wading back to the shore I bashed my big toe on a large rock under water. Fortunately it didn't take off the nail, but it was black and blue.
What would you do differently?:

I think doing more drills will help even more. I had trouble keeping in form, but I'm certainly not disappointed with my time, especially since my time included taking off my wetsuit while going up the stairs from the beach to the transition area.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Last year I was around 2.5 minutes in T1 and I was less than a minute this year. I certainly can't complain about that!
Bike
  • 1h 19m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been on travel for work two of the last three weeks and haven't been on the bike nearly enough. I've also been fighting some tendinitis and have very limited miles for the last two weeks. I tried to not overwork the ride and ended up with about the same time as last year. My seat needs some adjustments. My upper hamstrings were really sore and are still very sore hours after the race. I need to tilt the seat forward a little more and see if that helps.
I tried for an even cadence and coasted down the larger hills and geared down on the uphills. The last mile or two I took it easy and did some stretching while on the bike and I think this helped the run portion.

Get a tri bike. . .maybe next year. I think I planned this ride very well considering my lack of bike conditioning.
I need to get my seat more comfortable and need to get more miles on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Another fast transition less than a minute.
Run
  • 51m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I did a little better than last year and past 4 people in my age group during the run. I was just about at the same pace as last year. I had plenty of wind, but my legs were pretty wiped out. I've been doing Chi running that helped, but all the ups and downs made it difficult to keep any kind of steady pace. I was surprised to see my best event this year was the run. All my previous races the swim has been my best. This makes me feel pretty good as have a running background and my run performance has been a disappointment until this year.

Get more training and and maybe work some hills. I need to get my bike seat issues resolved to get rid of the hamstring discomfort I get on the run (and after the race).
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. My hamstrings were screaming and I couldn't reach down to pack up my stuff. Walking was painful and I couldn't really strech.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient training over that last 4 weeks due to injury and company travel. My bike seat (#5) is still giving me fits.

Event comments:

This was my second year at Pokagon. It was better this year because I knew what to expect on the run and planned the bike portion accordingly.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 14/94
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Out and back along the beach. Warmer water than last year.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:01.95
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:04 | 24.85 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 62/94
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: One area of standing water and some pretty rough pavement, but acceptable.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 23/94
Performance: Average
Course: All up and down through muddy trails with some standing water. Very tough course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-23 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Pokagon State Park Triathlon

2010-05-25 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2876778

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Subject: RE: Pokagon State Park Triathlon

Nice job on the hardware! Fantastic swim time...did they have the roaring fire and pancakes this year? That was my favorite part of the race last year.

2010-05-26 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2880429

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
They had the pancakes and a fire, but this year it was too warm to huddle by the fire.
2010-05-26 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2884520

User image

Veteran
Hey Nick,

it was great seeing you again!
Sounds like you had a great race? Congrats on placing!!
I also liked it, perfect combination of cooling during the race and great sunshine afterwards;-)

Best,
Juergen
2010-05-27 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2885010

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Nice to see you too.  Nice job on the bike!  I'm still trying to get over 20 mph.  I had a cornering challenge as well.  On one turn I had an off road moment that fortunately wasn't disastrous.  Great job breaking 2:30!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pokagon State Park Triathlon Rss Feed