General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim. Places? People? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-23 5:18 PM

Lexington, KY
Subject: Open Water Swim. Places? People?
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good place to do some open water swimming and hopefully some other people to swim with, as there is safety in numbers. I live in lexington. I would be up for swimming in the Kentucky river at appropriate spots( at least one side not being a sheer cliff!) but only with 1 or 2 other people. I know there is a lot of open water stuff at taylorsville and would be up for meeting there 2 or 3 times a month or anywhere else that is suitable. Perhaps, turn a few into a swim bike workout or whatever.
I have 2 inflatable kayaks available as well if we get enough people I can accompany in one or others can.
Would like to hear from others from NKY and the Ville as well.
I am tired off hitting a wall every 25 YARDS!    Hope everyone's training is going well and injuries are being kept to a minimum.

2010-05-23 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2876810

Veteran
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim. Places? People?
Hey, I live in Berea and I'm looking for people to OWS with, too. I've been looking for places and will definitely let you know if I find somewhere safe. I have a few kayaks, too, and a dad who has offered to lifeguard/kayak. 

My name's Sam, by the way. Let me know if you find somewhere and I'd love to meet up! 
2010-05-24 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2877205

Lexington, KY
Sammy, thanks for the post back. You guys have owesley fork resevoir down there. On the up side it is a no motors lake. The only info I got off the web is from fishing blogs and they comment on how there are a lot of weeds?? I don't know if that woould really affect swimming? One person also commented on trash....oh well.Nothing really says if you can swim in it. It is the water supply for Berea.... but if it doesn't say not to anywhere then I guess we can.
 Besides that I've found that a lot of Multisport companies put on Open water clinics at Taylorsville near the boat ramp in the state park. Maybe a 45 minute drive for me but doable a few times a month. I know some people that frequent herrington lake and will ask them about the possibilities there. I'm lookin forward to putting something together. 
2010-05-24 10:25 PM

Veteran
Looking forward to making something work!

As for Owesely, there's no swimming allowed and regardless of that rule, my kayak sometimes gets caught in the weeds and junk. Swimming's unfortunately not a possibility.  

Do you have any races coming up?

Talk soon! 
2010-05-27 6:19 PM

New user

Northern Kentucky
Im in NKY and have interest as well. I dont have any great ideas for NKY locations, only S. Ohio thus far. Cincy triathalon groups do have group swims organized on their site.
2010-05-28 8:49 PM

Lexington, KY
Sammy, we'll find somwwhere. I don't have many race plans right now b/c of no running. Hoping to do some bike rides, open water swims, and maybe the cardinal harbor aquabike. Good luck in buffalo trails!!
Mjordan thanks for the interest....I waas looking on the map and noticed williamstown lake has swimming areas. and allows water sking. It appears to be city ran. I might stop by sometime and check it out.
It's amazing to me how many parks etc are based around rivers and lakes, and they don't allow swimming in the natural water and have pools????  I'll post back with any additional finds.

2010-06-04 1:36 PM

Lexington, KY

Okay guys, here's what I've found so far. The ordinance for Williamstown says that swimmers can't swim anymore than 50 feet from the bank and can't cross major navigational channels. So Williamstown looks good. They appear to take great pride from their lake, judging from their website! They also have a water sports club.

I talked to a friend that grew up around herrington lake and said it's pretty much swim where you want. Their's a small Island with a cabin/ campground thing on it. Gwinn Is. I think. I don't know how big it is, but looks like one would be able to swim around it?? 

I'm going to try to check out both of these places on sunday and tuesday. Hope everyone is doing well.
Sammy how did Buffalo trails go?

2010-06-07 9:56 PM

Veteran
Hi! Totally sorry, I keep forgetting about the Kentucky forum. Yikes! 

Buffalo Trails went well! Wicked fun and my first OWS was a blast... definitely my favorite split.

Looks like I'll be sticking around Kentucky for now (there was some question as I've been trying to move back home to New England... S.O.L. for now).  I'll see what I can find. There's a place my dad was telling me about around Berea that I'm hoping to check out this week. I'll report back. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim. Places? People? Rss Feed