United States
Memphis in May - Start 2 Finish
Overcast
Total Time = 09m 39s
Overall Rank = 177/230
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/44
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00am and rested for another 25 minutes (family was still sleeping and resting). Finally got up and made some coffee and started getting everything packed up. Eventually ate a cliff bar before packing up the car and heading to the race site with the family.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site and checked in. They made you go thru 3 different places to get everything. it was well setup though. Went back and got transition setup. Decided to do a warmup on the bike, took it out for about a 2-3 mile easy spin. Got back to transition and talked with a few people, then decided to get a swim warmup. Water was a tad cold, but felt good. Got in a good swim warmup, felt good. Finished up that and headed back to finalize my transition area. had a GU about 30 minutes prior to the start. Tried to stay hydrated leading up to the start also. Waited around until the race start. Time Trial Start.
Swim
  • 09m 39s
  • 440 yards
  • 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Okay swim, felt pretty good. Wish i would have performed a bit better. I could not get into a good rythm, as I kept hitting someone or someone hitting me. Would get in about 10 strokes, then something would happen. Also, seems I tend to veer to the left a pretty good bit, so I had to keep adjusting. i could not get into a good breathing rythm to set up the swim, felt like i was going way too hard, but my swim time is pretty bad. I know I can do better.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on sighting. Need to work on swimming a staighter line and finding a good line to swim, especially with so many folks out there.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. Didn't go with any socks, had everything setup and ready to go. Goggles, swim cap off, bike shoes on pretty easily, sweat cap on, sunglasses on, helmet on, GU in tri top, head out. Could probably do a little faster, but overall pretty good.

Not much, run faster into/out of transition.
Bike
  • 40m 33s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't do a running start, small hill climb out of transition. Pretty good bike, kept a good pace. Past some folks, all on road bikes or a mtn bike. Got past by a few folks, mostly riding tri bikes and booking it. Pushed really hard on the bike (maybe too hard), stayed in the aero position almost the entire ride, and felt I did pretty good. Wish I would have gotten better than 32 in my division. Overall, not a bad performance, but need to make some adjustments. Also, didn't take in near enough fluid (1/2 bottle of G2). This definitely needs adjustment.

Probably let up the last mile and take it a bit easier headed into transition. Needed to get my HR down for the run (probably pushed too hard the last couple of miles, but it was a bit more hilly those miles). Take in more gaterade/water. Needed it for the run....
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Good transition, again went without socks. Worked out fine for the race distance. Got in, ran bike to rack, racked bike, helmet off, sweat cap off, shoes off, running cap on, running shoes on, grab race belt, sip of water and off.

Pretty good for me, got everything accomplished efficiently. Probably didn't need the running cap as it was just hot. Maybe not take it next time?? Forgo the sip of water. Run faster into/out of transition. This would make my times much better.
Run
  • 34m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Looking at my 11 minute pace, probably not as bad as I thought, but still my weakest area by far. Started out mile 1 a bit too fast, clocked a 10:15 mile, included a small walk break (needed to let the HR down a bit, and probably pushed to hard at end of bike, beginning of the run). Mile 2 was horrible, had to walk 2-3 times, as mile 2 included some small hilly sections, plus the tall grass was a little tougher to run thru. Probably had a 13 minute mile 2. Needed some water, and started feeling really bad and cold toward the end of mile 2. Luckily, the water station was at mile two, took a gaterade and water. drank both while walking. Felt much better for the remaining run and finished strong for the last 1/2 mile. Mile 3 was definitely sub 11 minutes and the last 1/2 mile was probably sub 10 minute pace. Finished with everything I had and hamstrings were thinking of cramping.... Better than I thought (for me), but not nearly good enough.

Eat a better breakfast? Work on the nutrition. Maybe take a GU on the bike, or adjust the G2 to actual Gaterade or something else with some electrolytes. Definitely needed more fluids prior to the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around finish and drank some water for a minute to cool down. Then walked over to find the family before getting things from transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and hydration. Overall fitness (especially run) - needs much work before the OLY in July. May have to adjust those plans...

Event comments:

Good race, the organization was very good. I will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2010-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:39 | 440 yards | 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/44
Overall: 0/230
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:33 | 12 miles | 17.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/44
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/44
Performance: Below average
Course: Cross Country run, mostly on grassy feilds and trails.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes