Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-05-24 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2878492

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh)
TriRSquared - 2010-05-24 12:00 PM

Bripod - 2010-05-24 1:54 PM
runningwoof - 2010-05-24 12:46 PM I disagree with the purgatory thing.  From what Christian said, this was the place they made to find each other.  I see it more as the boat that they ride to valhalla rather than a place of atonement.  It was where they could all "move on" to their final destination together.
I agree with this also [and pretty much everything else you said, but wanted to highlight this ]

Then why did Ben stay behind?  Seems like he still had some issues to deal with. 

Of course I think they intentionally left it vague so we could all draw our own conclusions.

Dude, did you see the look in Ben's eyes. He was totally staying back because he was going to rule purgatory. Either that or get with Alex's mom...

2010-05-24 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2879497

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Need2Breathe - 2010-05-24 8:23 PM Here's what I think:

The whole story....everything.....LOST is about Jack Shepard.  From the initial plane crash to life on the island and everything they went through, the sideways world, the heart of the island, everything.  The story was about Jack's journey from a man of science (which is why early on in the show we see a lot more of the sci-fi stuff) to a man of faith (ie his "letting go").  We see all of the spiritual stuff this last season because that is a reflection of Jack's heart/attitude.

The reason we don't get answers to every little detail is because the whole point of the show is to tell Jack Shepard's story.  We did get all the answers from this standpoint IMO.

All that took place throughout the course of the show was necessary in order for Jack to get to a place where he was ready to "go on".

I agree the island was real and the sideways world was some sort of pergatory, Jack died in the bamboo field after saving the island.

Everybody dies, the show was just a picture of a higher power working many things together to change Jack's heart to have faith and be ready.

Just my thoughts....

That makes some sense.  But it is only a short step from there to saying that the whole thing, including the sideways/alternate world, the time jumps, the backstories and front stories, etc, all just took place in his mind as he lay dying in the jungle immediately after the plane crash.  Which may indeed be the story, since the original plan for the pilot was to kill of Jack either at the end of the pilot or the beginning of the second episode.

I personally was hoping the whole thing took place in the dog's imagination when he came over to Jack laying in the jungle.
2010-05-24 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2879655

User image

Extreme Veteran

gearboy - 2010-05-24 8:53 PM
Need2Breathe - 2010-05-24 8:23 PM Here's what I think:

The whole story....everything.....LOST is about Jack Shepard.  From the initial plane crash to life on the island and everything they went through, the sideways world, the heart of the island, everything.  The story was about Jack's journey from a man of science (which is why early on in the show we see a lot more of the sci-fi stuff) to a man of faith (ie his "letting go").  We see all of the spiritual stuff this last season because that is a reflection of Jack's heart/attitude.

The reason we don't get answers to every little detail is because the whole point of the show is to tell Jack Shepard's story.  We did get all the answers from this standpoint IMO.

All that took place throughout the course of the show was necessary in order for Jack to get to a place where he was ready to "go on".

I agree the island was real and the sideways world was some sort of pergatory, Jack died in the bamboo field after saving the island.

Everybody dies, the show was just a picture of a higher power working many things together to change Jack's heart to have faith and be ready.

Just my thoughts....

That makes some sense.  But it is only a short step from there to saying that the whole thing, including the sideways/alternate world, the time jumps, the backstories and front stories, etc, all just took place in his mind as he lay dying in the jungle immediately after the plane crash.  Which may indeed be the story, since the original plan for the pilot was to kill of Jack either at the end of the pilot or the beginning of the second episode.

I personally was hoping the whole thing took place in the dog's imagination when he came over to Jack laying in the jungle.

Cough...Jacob's Ladder.....cough

2010-05-25 12:00 AM
in reply to: #2879339

User image

Renee - 2010-05-24 3:32 PM I did not get a sense of an overriding Christian story. Yes, there were SOME elements, but it certainly did not dominate the story. In fact, I saw it as a sort of Buddhist message - when you sort yourself out, then you can leave the cycle of rebirth. Some had more work to do, some were ready to move on. Enlightenment, anyone? En-light-enment.

The stained glass window in the chamber where Jack and his father spoke - it had symbols from Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, a Chinese or was it Japanese character (Confusionism? Taoism?). There were either 6 or 8 symbols (I haven't rewatched it yet).

I'm with Renee.  I thought it was great.  Whatever, they gave us six seasons of creative storytelling, great characters, and the reunion between Sawyer and Juliet had me in tears.   Worth the entire season.  It's a television show we get for free.  It exceeded all expectations and was better than any show for the last 6 tears, even if it was frustrating.

I was never one to sit and nitpick at the show anyway, I'd watch an episode, enjoy it, then delete it.  I didn't expect anything more than a very good show, and could care less whether they answered all questions.  The symmetry of the opening/closing scene was fantastic.   And Vincent!!!!!

As for being offended or put off by religious messages, well I guess that's maybe a sensitivity to it that I don't have.  They were in an apparently Christian church that seemed to accept and acknowledge many different faiths. 

I will miss it, for sure. 
2010-05-25 12:00 AM
in reply to: #2877084

User image

Veteran
Highland CA
The fathers name was Christian Shepherd. Someone
probably already said that though.
2010-05-25 4:55 AM
in reply to: #2879339

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Renee - 2010-05-24 6:32 PM

I did not get a sense of an overriding Christian story. Yes, there were SOME elements, but it certainly did not dominate the story. In fact, I saw it as a sort of Buddhist message - when you sort yourself out, then you can leave the cycle of rebirth. Some had more work to do, some were ready to move on. Enlightenment, anyone? En-light-enment.

The stained glass window in the chamber where Jack and his father spoke - it had symbols from Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, a Chinese or was it Japanese character (Confusionism? Taoism?). There were either 6 or 8 symbols (I haven't rewatched it yet).

I am with Renee, too. I did not feel that there was a big Christian message so much as the message that if you follow your heart/love, and let go of cherished outcomes, then you will reach the place where your soul can be with all those souls who have agreed to love and be in relationship together and 'move on'. It's much more a metaphysical/Four Agreements/Celestine Prophecy/New Agey kind of vibe than religious to me. More about faith and love and spirituality and eternal souls in a big over-arching way rather than any specific religion.

I think the stained glass had Star of David, Cross, Om, yin/yan, crescent moon and star, and a wheel - covers a lot of bases.

Finally, I was a little disappointed in the finale mostly because the storyline ended up being so much about Jack, and I never really loved that character - basically we got a journey of Jack's eye opening after the crash, bossing people around and frowning a lot, to smiling more and loving people and then his eye closes. Six years of a journey. And as with most journeys, I like the stuff that goes on along the sides so much better than the main point. Guess that tells me a little about myself, which is not a bad result after all...

2010-05-25 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2879954

User image

Buttercup
By the way, I am sure that church is the same church where several of them met with Faraday's mother to find out how to get back to the island. Remember the swinging pendulum? That was located in that church. It was to tell them how to find the island; it became a place to find each other. Poetic.

Edited by Renee 2010-05-25 6:56 AM
2010-05-25 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2879912

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
ChrisM - 2010-05-25 1:00 AM
Renee - 2010-05-24 3:32 PM I did not get a sense of an overriding Christian story. Yes, there were SOME elements, but it certainly did not dominate the story. In fact, I saw it as a sort of Buddhist message - when you sort yourself out, then you can leave the cycle of rebirth. Some had more work to do, some were ready to move on. Enlightenment, anyone? En-light-enment.

I'm with Renee.  I thought it was great.  Whatever, they gave us six seasons of creative storytelling, great characters, and the reunion between Sawyer and Juliet had me in tears.   Worth the entire season.  It's a television show we get for free.  It exceeded all expectations and was better than any show for the last 6 tears, even if it was frustrating.

I was never one to sit and nitpick at the show anyway, I'd watch an episode, enjoy it, then delete it.  I didn't expect anything more than a very good show, and could care less whether they answered all questions.  The symmetry of the opening/closing scene was fantastic.   And Vincent!!!!!

As for being offended or put off by religious messages, well I guess that's maybe a sensitivity to it that I don't have.  They were in an apparently Christian church that seemed to accept and acknowledge many different faiths. 

I wasn't offended or put out by the religious tone of the finale.  More disappointed.  The show seemed to promise (in the first season anyway) something more interesting than a weak re-tread of a christ story.  So many threads that showed promise left completely out - like who the Dharma initiative were, and how did they find the island?  Why did it really need protecting? Why was Claire supposed to raise her own baby? What the heck was the deal with Walt? Why was nearly EVERYONE who made it to the end white?  (Sayid and the Korean couple got the furthest - though they also got killed before the last episode)
2010-05-25 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2880017

User image

Buttercup
I also LOVED the way Hugo just SMILED at Charlie when he went to collect him at the hotel.

People helping each other to let go and move on. I loved this episode.

Remember what Desmond said when Kate asked him what he wanted? "I want to leave." Which is interesting when you realize it's the same thing Flocke wanted, just very different circumstances and tactic for doing so.

Edited by Renee 2010-05-25 7:04 AM
2010-05-25 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2880036

User image

Buttercup
Watching the finale again.

Claire & Charlie's scene (w/Kate) made me cry again. I've always loved Charlie's redemption story. Any of us can redeem ourselves, no matter how low we might have sunk.

And watching the Juliette & Sawyer scene, I cried harder than the first time I watched it.

Edited by Renee 2010-05-25 8:09 AM
2010-05-25 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Just found this - a clip from the Jimmy Kimmel show...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di3w1yV4Ehg

2010-05-25 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2879912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

ChrisM - 2010-05-25 1:00 AM

I agree - I'll miss the show a lot.  I didn't expect the writers to explain most of what happened, I think they said they wouldn't anyway, didn't they?  It's okay with me if they leave it to speculation - sometimes that makes it better.  (kind of like "who was Anakin's father, anyway?")

I enjoyed every season and trying to figure out what things meant as it went - the most frustrating part for me wasn't the lack of answers, but the waiting almost an entire year to see another season.  Drove me crazy every year.

2010-05-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2878944

User image

Master
Chicago
morey1 - 2010-05-24 3:13 PM

mattb1 - 2010-05-24 3:05 PM
cardenas1 - 2010-05-24 1:59 PM

Just have to go on record I may be only person out there that has never seen this show.   Never intentionally avoided it, but I always felt it was like a good book or movie where you had to start at the begining and I never had the time to that. 

I'm in the same boat.  I've never even seen 1 second of it.  Not really sure I have an desire to watch it either. 

Whew, I'm so relieved.  I hate it when threads are answered only by people interested in the topic.

NM - Not worth my time

Edited by mattb1 2010-05-25 10:14 AM
2010-05-25 10:47 AM

Master
Daniel Dae Kim posted this on his facebook page...gave a nice summary of the entire finale and series -

http://forum.lostpedia.com/someone-bad-robots-take-finale-t59261.ht...

I rewatched the finale yesterday, and I was more emotionally drawn into it the second time around. The scene with Jack and his father still gets to me, and to me, it's one of the greatest moments in television history. What made me tear up was when the writers pulled the dog card at the end. If you want to make a grown man cry, bring the dog and have him lay beside you as you move on to the next life.

On a sidenote...I know that a lot of people were wondering where was Eko. From what I read, he was offered a huge sum of money to come back for the season finale, but wanted 5 times that amount to make an appearance. And...since he wasn't offered more money he turned it down.

The only thing I wish to have seen in the finale was an acknowledgement of Walt in one way or another. Just to kind of wrap things up with him.

Edited by nighthawk 2010-05-25 10:49 AM
2010-05-25 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Some good summary points in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2010-05-25-lostmysteries25_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

2010-05-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2879655

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
gearboy - 2010-05-24 9:53 PM

You wernt the only one

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2010-05-25 10:56 AM

2010-05-25 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2880610

User image

nighthawk - 2010-05-25 8:47 AM Daniel Dae Kim posted this on his facebook page...gave a nice summary of the entire finale and series - http://forum.lostpedia.com/someone-bad-robots-take-finale-t59261.ht... I rewatched the finale yesterday, and I was more emotionally drawn into it the second time around. The scene with Jack and his father still gets to me, and to me, it's one of the greatest moments in television history. What made me tear up was when the writers pulled the dog card at the end. If you want to make a grown man cry, bring the dog and have him lay beside you as you move on to the next life. On a sidenote...I know that a lot of people were wondering where was Eko. From what I read, he was offered a huge sum of money to come back for the season finale, but wanted 5 times that amount to make an appearance. And...since he wasn't offered more money he turned it down. The only thing I wish to have seen in the finale was an acknowledgement of Walt in one way or another. Just to kind of wrap things up with him.

everyone should read this.  thanks 
2010-05-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2880656

User image

Buttercup
Great read. Makes sense to me, too.

Still sniffling at Juliette/Sawyer reunion. Yes, I bawled like a baby!!
2010-05-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2880656

User image

Champion
the colony texas
ChrisM - 2010-05-25 10:58 AM
nighthawk - 2010-05-25 8:47 AM Daniel Dae Kim posted this on his facebook page...gave a nice summary of the entire finale and series - http://forum.lostpedia.com/someone-bad-robots-take-finale-t59261.ht... I rewatched the finale yesterday, and I was more emotionally drawn into it the second time around. The scene with Jack and his father still gets to me, and to me, it's one of the greatest moments in television history. What made me tear up was when the writers pulled the dog card at the end. If you want to make a grown man cry, bring the dog and have him lay beside you as you move on to the next life. On a sidenote...I know that a lot of people were wondering where was Eko. From what I read, he was offered a huge sum of money to come back for the season finale, but wanted 5 times that amount to make an appearance. And...since he wasn't offered more money he turned it down. The only thing I wish to have seen in the finale was an acknowledgement of Walt in one way or another. Just to kind of wrap things up with him.

everyone should read this.  thanks 

wow.. one of the better ones i've read.. in a way it makes it all seem very simple..
2010-05-25 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
The only issue I have with that explanation is the whole "Ben was not in Season 1 so he's not in the church" angle.

Neither was Desmond, or Penny, or Libby or Juliet (and they were all in the church)

But still a pretty interesting read.
2010-05-25 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2880878

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

Interesting read, but does not address the enormous problem those of us who feel let down by the finale have....it totally ignores the 100s of questions raised by seasons 1-5. 

IF everything that happened on the island was real then NOTHING was explained.  NOTHING.  NADA. ZILCH.  ZIP.

I'd start a list of things not explained, but I think it is time for me to "let go" and move on myself.  ;-)

2010-05-25 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2881055

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Fatdoggy - 2010-05-25 1:13 PM

Interesting read, but does not address the enormous problem those of us who feel let down by the finale have....it totally ignores the 100s of questions raised by seasons 1-5. 

IF everything that happened on the island was real then NOTHING was explained.  NOTHING.  NADA. ZILCH.  ZIP.

I'd start a list of things not explained, but I think it is time for me to "let go" and move on myself.  ;-)

I understand your frustration. 

FOR ME, somewhere as season 6 progressed I decided all along the show was really about the characters, not the island.  I can be a bit of a sap, and realized during this season I was welling up time and time again during these freakin' episodes.  So, they brilliantly but a ribbon and bow around the characters during the finale.  It would have been nice had they sat with Jacob around that fire for an extra second and explained at least a few of the island secrets.  But, in the end, they had us loving the characters throughout the 6-seasons, and then brought them "home" happily reunited for us to visualize and give us closure.

2010-05-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2881055

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Fatdoggy - 2010-05-25 2:13 PM

There are indeed lots of things unexplained, but I disagree that NOTHING was explained.  In fact I'd say a majority of things were explained or at least given enough of an explanation that the watcher could come to their own conclusions.
2010-05-25 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2881078

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
morey1 - 2010-05-25 2:20 PM

Fatdoggy - 2010-05-25 1:13 PM

I understand your frustration. 

FOR ME, somewhere as season 6 progressed I decided all along the show was really about the characters, not the island.  I can be a bit of a sap, and realized during this season I was welling up time and time again during these freakin' episodes.  So, they brilliantly but a ribbon and bow around the characters during the finale.  It would have been nice had they sat with Jacob around that fire for an extra second and explained at least a few of the island secrets.  But, in the end, they had us loving the characters throughout the 6-seasons, and then brought them "home" happily reunited for us to visualize and give us closure.

I agree.... I'm not really all that bothered by the unanswered questions. I thoroughly enjoyed watching LOST through all 6 seasons. The fact that all questions weren't answered doesn't change that for me. I agree that the show, and especially the final season, was more about the characters than the island. The TV critic on the NPR show "Fresh Air" summed it up perfectly for me:

"... its two endings, together, were very satisfying — and the final advice from Jack's dad to Jack should be remembered in the context of watching television, too:

'The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people," father tells son. "You needed all of them, and they needed you.'

'For what?' Jack asked.

'To remember, and to let go,' his father replied.

Exactly. Remember Lost, because its type is not returning to TV anytime soon, if at all. But also, as the father figure says, let go. Don't nitpick over the missing details, the forgotten Walts, the unexplained polar bears. Just say so long, and thanks for all the fish. Or maybe just thanks."
2010-05-25 2:33 PM

Master
One thing about this series is that even though we know the end, I guarantee, we can all go back, rewatch the series and pick up something we didn't catch off the bat. I'm looking forward to picking up the season 6 DVD in August, and than I'm going to sit down, not all at once, and rewatch the series and pick up some of the answers I'm looking for.

I wish this show was on when I was in college. Instead of writing my paper on the X-Files, I could have written it on Lost.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh) Rss Feed  

of 6