RACC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 53s
Overall Rank = 33/181
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up - did 25 minutes on the ellipitical to loosen my legs -took a shower and headed off to the race. Bjorn and Kiera were coming later to watch.
Event warmup:

Got my number 801...1st wave. OK - figured since I registered early I would be up in the 1st or 2nd wave. I also thought there was an elite wave in addition to the 1st wave. Got the bodymarking, etc and went to transistion. Apparently 801 is the 1st number in the 1st wave - which is also the elite wave...huh??? How did I end up there.

I knew it was going to be a small event but looking around I realized that it may be small but there were some awesome athletes there. Crap here I am in the 1st wave and I am going to get my butt kicked. I had visions of my bike being the only one there after the 1st run...and the last to get back from the bike..
Run
  • 12m 26s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned to race hard the whole race. That being said I naturally hold back at the beginning of a race especially a long one. Seeing as how I have only done 1 duathlon I am lacking in experience to say the least. I decided to sort of hang right behind one of the other Performance Outfitters girl - she is coming off an injury but she is also my main competition for sprint/short races. Came in to transisition right behind her (she also was racked about 2 bikes away)
What would you do differently?:

I could have pushed this a little harder but not much. I wanted to start out only slightly uncomfortable
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Ha - I totally fumbled around with my helmet - I was nervous because I was right at the bike out and there were a lot of people watching.

Leave my helmet unclipped - would have saved me a couple of seconds
Bike
  • 49m 53s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan was to push this bike hard as I could and I did. I didn't save much. Helped that my PRO competition was also ahead of me for the first 10 or so miles then I came up and stayed close behind the rest of the bike. I am pleased that I was only passed by 1 other woman and only 3-4 men.

Not much - learn to use my aerobars and drink a little more. I drank some which is an improvement. Really focused on my form and on smooth and correct gearing
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Pretty decent - I am glad my spot was right at the bike in then I got a chance to shake out the legs as I headed to the run out.

Nothing
Run
  • 13m 34s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This was tough. My legs were pretty shot but I did focus on the last part of the bike getting my cadence high so my legs would be ready for the higher run cadence. I passed my competitor in the first 1/2 mile which I figured I would and worked on staying ahead. Main problem is that I was roasting. It went from about 65 at race start to 75 by the 2nd run. I had grabbed some water out of transition which was smart - I tried to just keep my pace steady. The last half mile was the worst - I started to back off but just hung in there and had a little kick to the finnish.

Nothing really
Post race
Warm down:

Drank 4 cups of water and poured another 4 over me. Saw Bjorn and Kiera and talked to some of the other I knew that were racing. Congratulated Heidi (1st OA female) and Sarah (3rd) - talked to the other PRO racers ...tried to find Pete but couldn't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed work. I am just getting my run legs back and I definitly felt a glimmer of it today but could be more. The temperature really got me in the 2nd run - humidity was high too. For a May race my body wasn't ready for the heat.

Event comments:

I am very pleased with my results 4th female and 1st AG.

RACC puts on some awesome races. Always well orgnaized and some of the best volunteers I have seen. This was race 1 of a 5 race series...looks like I am going to be doing the other 4 :)

Last updated: 2010-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:26 | 02 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 29/181
Performance: Good
Course: Flat loop - one of the turns people ahead of me were cutting short..but I took the full turn..kind of pissed me off but whatever
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:49:53 | 16.8 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Overall: 55/181
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Wind was a headwind the first 7 or so then crosswind - then tailwind. Nice course- well marked and lots of volunteers at the intersections. Roads pretty traffic free except on Hwy 18 - I was not a big fan of that. Basically smooth roads except for mile 13-14ish where it was like going on a roller coaster. Flat with a couple of small rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:34 | 02 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 16/181
Performance: Average
Course: Same loop
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Cooney Duathlon

2010-05-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2877695

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Cooney Duathlon

Great job!

2010-05-24 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Awesome job miss speedy mcspeedster! Wish I could have done this, but just didn't work in my schedule. Sounds fun.
2010-05-24 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
"why o why am I in the first wave?" Now you know why you are in the fiurst wave!!!!

Great to see you and great race!!!!
2010-05-27 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
awesome work!!! great multisport years ahead of you! (and, DONT leave the helmet unclipped...a sure DQ!)
2010-05-27 10:46 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Eeeeeaaaaawwwwwsome job Lisa!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooney Duathlon Rss Feed