OptionResults
full8 Votes - [80%]
sleeveless2 Votes - [20%]

2005-07-02 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Derry, NH
Subject: Wetsuit type? full or sleeveless
I'll be racing in the Timberman Triathlon in August and have to put in my order form for a wetsuit, what would you guys recommend, a full or sleeveless suit?

2005-07-02 10:35 PM
in reply to: #188956

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: RE: Wetsuit type? full or sleeveless
When it comes to wetsuits, it not so much a question of full or sleeveless... but, really a question of FIT.

The wetsuit that provides the greatest efficiency of effort is the FULL wetsuit provided that if fits. This is specially true the longer the triathlon course.

The key reason most buy a sleeveless is because they have not found a full wetsuit that is a comfortable fit.

This has got to be the most commonly asked question about wetsuits. Unfortunately, what most people buy or choose in your poll may for may not be applicable. Good luck at Timberman.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-07-02 10:39 PM
2005-07-03 3:31 PM
in reply to: #189159

User image

Veteran
Derry, NH
Suggestions on how to get a good fit if you don't have a tri specific store near you?
2005-07-03 6:01 PM
in reply to: #189353

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Go on the internet and order a size that is suppose to fit according to their suggested size and a size up or down (depending where the next size might fit).

The places on the internet you can order are numerous... in fact, many of them you can call and give them your size and build... they will send you the best size fit (but, I'd always have them send the next best potential size).

Off the top of my head, DeSoto makes a really good wetsuit that has a tremendous various size fitting options... the two piece design provides this distinct advantage.

Also, Promotion is a good wetsuit that is more moderately priced.

Both of these companies have exceptional customer support and expect their customers to try on the wetsuits and return the size that doesn't fit.

There are other good wetsuits, but I thought I would just mention these two because of either their price advantages or particular fitting options... but, mostly because they are extremely customer friendly companies with VERY good products for the price.

FWIW Joe Moya

http://www.desotosport.com/wetsuits/index.shtml
http://www.wetsuit.com/

Edited by Joe M 2005-07-03 6:05 PM
2005-07-10 10:04 PM
in reply to: #188956

Having had the same question I did an "Ask Jeeves" search on sleeves vs sleeveless. The studies I saw indicate the more rubber the more bouyant the suit, the faster the speed. The sleeeves appear to give more floatation with no impairment of arm motion.

As others say, the fit is really the most important consideration.
2005-07-11 6:42 AM
in reply to: #194406

New user
Michigan
You are correct. The experts in the field say that fullsuits are always faster …by about a third. That is, if a sleeveless suit will get you six extra seconds per hundred yards on the water, a well-fitting fullsuit will get you eight. This doesn’t mean that you want to wear full suit in every situation. However, when it comes to speed, the more rubber, the faster the suit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit type? full or sleeveless Rss Feed