Ultramax
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 25m 4s
Overall Rank = 360/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 64/
Pre-race routine:

Got to transition really early, 5 am for a 7:30 start. Got marked and picked up chip. Really tried to make sure that I was getting and staying hydrated as I expected a very warm and humid day. This may have led to problems later on.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of getting in the water as soon as possible to adjust to the cold water and choppy conditions. I am glad I did as when my face first hit the water, my body refused to exhale when my face was submerged. I panicked a little but once I got over the initial shock I was fine. Didn't have the same problem once the race started.
Swim
  • 38m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

First OWS of the year. The wind was a cross wind and gusty, so going out it was from my right and going back to shore from my left. Several times anxiety set it and I needed to stop recollect myself and continue. Once I relaxed again, the swim was good.

Overall, I felt the distance was not a problem, it was more the waves, temp and swimming in a crowd that bothered me. I know that this will get better the more OWS and group swims I get.
What would you do differently?:

Gotten out to do a true open water swim a couple times before the event. I didn't have my rental wetsuit until four days before and had nowhere to OWS in that time frame.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

The first indications of later problems hit in T1. I had a sharp side stitch in my right rib cage area as I was running into T1. It went away when I stopped to put on shoes and stuff.

Didn't have shoes attached to bike, only using road shoes, so pretty difficult to put on while riding.

Sidenote, I "lost" a Nike visor because i left it on my aerobars and didn't realize it until out on the road. It was flopping around to I just tossed it to the side of the road near a bunch of spectators.

Not really much other than maybe getting Tri shoes and having them on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 15s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was consuming enough to drink as I wasn't thirsty at all, however after the race I realized I only drank 1 bottle of GU Brew and half bottle of water. I had 1 GU packet on the bike and really didn't want anything more.

Overall I felt I really had a good bike. I definitely could have gone harder/faster, but I was still anticipating a really hot run, so I wanted to save my legs for the run.

Stick to my nutrition plan a little better.

Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I put on socks for the run, didn't wear them on the bike, so that slowed things down a little.

Not much, just get faster
Run
  • 1h 18m 16s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where the problems happened. The side stitch from T1 came back with a vengance at about 1/2 mile in. I stopped running and walked while taking very deep breaths and it seemed to go away. Started running again and it came back along with a friend, cramps. I made it to the first aid station at 1 mile and took on water hoping it would help, and it only got worse. Finished the run by running .25 mile then walking .25 mile. I could tell I really needed liquid, but my stomach physically wouldn't let me. The cramps and side stitch kept getting worse as the run went along.

The really frustrating part is that my legs felt great, I had no cramping or tiredness in the legs and really felt like I could have run a hour or less on the 10k.

Don't know, still haven't figured out exactly what went wrong and caused the problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank what water I could, and tried to walk out the side stitch and stomach cramps

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The side stitch and stomach cramps on the run.

Event comments:

Ultramax runs a great event from the very beginning to the finish chute. Times were instant, as soon as you cross the line, they have someone printing out your split times and handing it over. Free hamburgers/hotdogs, free beer, water and pop.

Last updated: 2009-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:40 | 1500 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Didn't wear the Garmin in the swim, with the quick release, I didn't want to take the chance of it getting kicked just right and sinking to the bottom of the lake.
Suit: Aqua Sphere Icon
Course: Left hand loop. Out turn left across, turn left and beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:15 | 25 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Average HR. 159 Zone 3 Max HR 176 Zone 4
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loop course, rolling hills with one long hill on around mile 10/20. Wind was a crossing headwind on the big hill. Only one spot on the course where the wind was direct headwind with no protection from trees. I really like the course, except some of the roads were a little rougher than I prefer, mostly really wide expansion joints.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:18:16 | 06.2 miles | 12m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Average HR 164 Zone 3 Max HR 182 Zone 5
Course: 2 loop course, mostly running/walking paths around lake. Mostly flat except for one moderate hill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon

2010-05-24 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2878725

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon
Congrats on your Olympic tri!!!!!   Your running time was pretty good for alternating walking and running.  Thanks for sharing your report, but wish I could've been there.  Do I see a 70.3 in your future?  Laughing 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed