Pomona, New York
United States
Genesis Adventures
Total Time = 2h 16m 22s
Overall Rank = 54/241
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/27
Pre-race routine:

The race almost wound up as a duathlon! There was a Half Ironman going on as well and they started @ 9, we were to start @ 10:30. Suddenly the race director says our swim is canceled while there are still half Ironman racers swimming! Uuuuuuhhhhh? Wha? His reason: not enough lifegaurds on boats to the number of racers in the Olympic distance (there were 2X more olympic racers than Half Ironman-ers). He changes the swim to a 1 mile run. Really? 1 mile run? Puuuhhhhllleeeease!?!?!?

Fortunately a smart person tells him, hey, shorten the swim to an out and back and you don't need the extra lifegaurds. Winner! (The course was a .6 mile triangle)
Event warmup:

Meanwhile, I'm out warming up for the 1 mile run with 5 mins to spare when I return to transition and hear the news that its been changed BACK to a swim. The start was extended 30 mins to 11:00 AM. Phew! Crisis averted. I didn't really care about the even shorter swim. The distance of the entire race was bogus to begin with and all I wanted to do was swim in cold water to test out the neoprene cap in anticipation for Mooseman in 2 weeks.
Swim
  • 18m 5s
  • 1055 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well the water wasn't all that cold, or the neoprene cap did its job. I'm going with the 80 degree weather from the past week warmed up the lake. Whatever the temp was, it was niiiiiiiice. After warming up I really didn't want to get out.

The swim itself was nondescript. You go out, turn around, and come back. Not too much contact and I felt fine from start to finish. The funny thing is that when we rounded the buoy, the water on the other side was FRIGID. Perhaps the amount of swimmers going through the water warmed up our path?
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Transition from swim to bike was fuddled in terms of biking shoes. When they announced that the swim was going to be a run, I swapped out my tri shoes for my road shoes since I would just wear my socks from start to finish. My tri shoes are smaller since you don't need socks to ride in them, so when they announced the swim was back on, it was a little too late to reswap out the road shoes for tri shoes. No biggie, the road shoes just have a ratchet and 2 extra velcro straps. Still, takes time.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 46s
  • 21 miles
  • 19.16 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was great. I hammered this course it felt GOOOOOOOOD. I was just happy to be finally racing and turning the speed back on and churning out some watts over 200. (My Half Ironman wattage range is lower @ 170-180). I averaged 209 for this one and kept a ~19 mph for a hilly course. Did I say I was happy? :) I freaking passed everyone. My favorite part!
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Bike to Run transition was whatever. I just went as fast as I could to get my bike shoes off, socks and run shoes on. Threw on the visor and got my watch going.
Run
  • 49m 5s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt funny coming out of transition, but I felt fast. Within the first mile the "switch" went on and it was go time for 6.2 miles.

Here is the kicker about this run. The terrain. It wasn't super hilly, it was just rolly enough to make going uphill a hurt-fest and running downhill absolute freedom. Very few flats. Either you were going up, or you were going down.

My aproximate splits:
Mile 1: 7:58
Mile 2: 7:28
Mile 3: 7:49
Mile 4: 9:22 (Yeesh! WTF?)
Mile 5: 7:35
Mile 6: 7:38

Sooooooooo, other than mile 4, it was a solid run. What happened on mile 4? Well, I went slower! haha! My only guess is that the rolly terrain in that section got me? But it was an out and back and the miles on either side were pretty fast. Who knows.
Post race
Warm down:

you know how you cross the finish line of a hard race and suddenly walking hurts and all you want to do is sit down and die? That didn't happen today. I was able to bend down, take off my own timing chip off of my ankle and give it to the guy with ease. Walking over to the pizza line was like normal walking. Uuuuhhhhhhhh????

Last updated: 2010-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:05 | 1055 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/241
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out and back
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: