Heartland Sports Promotions
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 8s
Overall Rank = 258/304
Age Group = M34-39
Age Group Rank = 32/35
Pre-race routine:

Spent Saturday at the race site setting up.

Got to stay at my sister's house close by which was lucky, since I ended up getting about 2.5 hours sleep before heading back to the site shortly after 3am.
Event warmup:

Got 2 chances to get in the ice. Er, I mean water. Brrr.

Not exactly a warm-up, I'd call it a pre-race acclimation at best.
Swim
  • 24m 52s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

30/35 in Age group. Don't see a way to easily get details at report web site. I had to manually do it to sort out the AG number.

My first tri AND first OWS. Very cold. I got used to the temp, and my biggest frustration was sighting. Murky water messed me up.

New sensation of running into people in the water. Different than in-pool collisions. Just when I finally got into the groove I ran into a backstroker's foot. Stunned me a little.

The cold water MUST have affected my inner ear. I didn't get a headache, but I was walking sideways up the beach. Took it easy and walked into transition so I wouldn't fall.

The swim was tougher on me than I expected. The cold water, zero visibility and waves really knocked down my pace. About a minute longer per 100m than my pool swims. Wow.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Maybe pick up a wetsuit, but I think the newness was a lot of my problem.

Nothing to really compare things to. OWS <> pool!

Transition 1
  • 05m 46s
Comments:

The pavement hurt my feet, and I was a little dizzy and winded from the swim so I walked into T1 slowly.

I took my time and sat down to put on my socks and shoes.

Try to toughen up my feet to move faster on rough ground.

The little bit of sand that was left didn't seem to effect me, so I would probably spend less time and effort cleaning it off next time.

Eat a whole GU or something instead of trying to finish it later on the bike?
Bike
  • 51m 32s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.47 mile/hr
Comments:

33 of 35

Drink more.

My cage and bottle was new, I'll be more comfortable with the bottle next time. I have been training with a Camelbak.

I think I will work on leaving shoes clipped in in T1 and something towards a flying dismount.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Used a racebelt. On back in T1, turned to front in T2. T2 much faster.

Probably get some Yankz or other speed laces. I imagine I will be able to jog out faster next time.
Run
  • 38m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My bladder was talking to me right from the start. Was wondering if I would get a penalty or DQ for visiting a tree....

We happened to go past a restroom around the 2 mile mark so I made a quick detour.

Maybe nothing. Maybe find out what the rules are regarding making a pit stop on the course behind a tree or something.

I might be wanting a hydration belt. Kinda on the fence on that one.
Post race
Warm down:

Wander over to my truck with a bottle of water and sit on the liftgate for a few minutes.

Kept the finisher's towel on my neck for quite a while. Took advantage of the free food.

I was VERY happy to get a cheeseburger. I think I saw sunbeams and a halo come off of it....
Awwwwwwwwwwwww.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First race, little bit of nerves, lack of much run training.

Event comments:

As this was my first race I didn't have anything to compare to so I put AVERAGE in most of the field on this report except for some I felt more strong about one way or the other.

I didn't push as hard as I could have, as I needed the experience and HAD to avoid a DNF!

My run time was the same as EVER. Every time I do a timed 5k I end up right around 38 minutes whether I've been running recently, or not for weeks.

Only this morning did I realized I set a run PR (if slightly) on the run course when I factored in my restroom break and still came in at 39 minutes.

I think I did really well on the bike as well, my average is closer to 10mph when I'm out training with hills involved and I did 14.4 here.

I got teary several times during the race. Like starting to cry. Nobody came to see me at the finish line which was okay with me but seeing the support of others was uplifting too. (I had no idea when I'd finish, and I wouldn't want the kids to have to sit there that long with nothing to do.)

It was awesome seeing all the volunteers cheering at us and seeing kids holding up signs for mommy or daddy or uncle or whomever.

I think even during the bike I was having moments of "I'm really doing this, I'm gonna finish and I'm not just training now."

I guess it was an emotional release from the tension and all the work of training.

Factor in helping with the race, lack of sleep, solid race times, and my special public recognition at the race for working hard AND racing and I had a awesome event!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:52 | 750 meters | 03m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/35
Overall: 0/304
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-shorts only
Course: Out 2 buoys, across one in the middle, and back around 3. Waves/wind were coming from the right on the outbound leg which was great for me since I breathe to the left. By the time the waves messed with my breathing I was a LOT more acclimated to the temperature and chop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:46
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:32 | 12.43 miles | 14.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/35
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Reported as really hilly, but not bad compared to what I have been training on. I was able to muscle up most of the shorter hills without having to shift. I favored momentum and position over an easier cadence on the shorter hills. There was one monster hill towards the end, with another shorter one on top of it. There was a long downhill that I had to slow down on. I think I could have set a PR for downhill speed, but I came up on another biker that WASN"T speeding down the hill right as a faster biker came up on my left. I either had to brake HARD or go into the shoulder. I chose to brake a little and take the rougher shoulder. Aggravating.... Didn't watch my cadence. Left the comp on mileage, I just wanted to know how much was left. I think my cadence was normal like training, so I'm gonna say about 85. Traffic controlled. Cars held for us at intersections and we had a lane on the roads. Almost nothing to look out for but other bikes. I did almost run over a dead possum though. Hardly any debris to be seen that WASN'T put there by other participants. (Can't put that gel pack back in your pocket? Seriously?!?) I saw ONE dropped water bottle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:53 | 03.11 miles | 12m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/35
Performance: Average
Course: Paved bike trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon

2010-05-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2879135

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon
Wooohoooo!
Congrats on your first race, and how awesome that you volunteered, too!

2010-05-24 7:49 PM

User image

great race report!  Congrats, and this was no easy tri.  At least for me it wasn't!  You are a man among men for swimming without the wetsuit.  I would have froze and sank within the first 15 yards, it was pretty chilly water!

I recommend the speed laces too.  I love mine and can't imagine trying to bend over and tie knots after the bike.

Again, big congrats and thanks for helping volunteer for the race, I really enjoyed it.

Edited by mperfct 2010-05-24 7:51 PM
2010-05-24 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
I have posted an album of pics I took during set up and on race day.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=14479

Enjoy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed