General Discussion Race Reports! » The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clinton, New Jersey
United States
New Jersey Multisport Association
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 29/165
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and drove the 1.5 hours to the course. Met up with another BT'er Fred (Pennstate)
Event warmup:

Swam a bit with Fred, but not much.
Swim
  • 31m 44s
  • 1931 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

First race since IMLP 08 (lost 09 to a knee injury) so it was good to get the cobwebs out of the system. Went out a tad to hard with the adrenaline again and got that shoulder tired, can't breath right feeling about 100 yards in. Had to stop for about 15 seconds to catch my breath, get my head on straight and tell myself I am in great swimming shape and stop freaking out 100 yards into the race. Settled down and had a good swim after that. I was kind of expecting that since it was my first race in 2 yrs. Control that andrenaline! First leg out was pretty crappy for the reasons I just talked about and also because I had forgotten how to swim straight! I was all over the place. Everytime I looked up I was way off course. By the bouy for the turn I figured out what I was doing and got into my swim groove. Had a pretty decent swim the rest of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Control my adrenaline at the start.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Wetsuit stuck on heel and watch again. Need to practice more as it has been a while. No biggie as this was a half and transitions were definately not my focus.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 54s
  • 56.66 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was listed as 56.6 but I made a wrong turn and cost me about a minute or so. My bike computer however shows 57.14 which is a big difference. That puts my avg at 18.9 which is about on target for what I was looking to do.

Not sure what I learned here in relation to my goals/pacing plans for LP. I thought the course was challenging but not a monster (like Black Bear). The number of turns really did slow you down as you were braking and slowing a lot, especially in the wet conditions.
I felt good during the ride and didn't push too hard. I felt really good climbing and think I have made significant improvement there. I think I could have pushed harder, but it is hard to argue with my run results so maybe it was just right. I was hoping to pace at 19-19.5 for this race but I was just guessing as I had never ridden it before. Totally went on feel. Second half was much harder, windier, and on crappier roads than the first half of the loop. It didn't pour rain, but we had some showers and the roads were wet in areas.

Probably could have gone harder.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Since it is a half I really am not concerned with T times. Took a little longer as I had placed my shoes and socks in a plastic bag to cover them during the swim and bike as it was off and on raining. I think this paid some nice dividends as I was putting on nice dry socks and shoes. It didn't rain once during the run so that was nice. Also put vaseline on feet prior to socks in case it did rain. No blisters for me thank you.

Not much. Wasn't focusing at all on Transition times.
Run
  • 1h 42m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Really good run! Legs and back were stiff the first mile or so, but not debilitatingly bad. Really focused on shortening my stride and getting a lot of turnover to run the lactic acid out. This seemed to work and soon I was ticking off the miles. I looked at my watch after the first 2 miles and realized i was running sub 8 pace and thought that I wasn't really pushing it. Was very happy. Just kept a nice long training pace going the entire run. On the hills I focused on shorter strides and keeping my HR down but not walking. This is the furthest I have run in my training to date so I was kind of expecting in the back of my head that I would have to walk at some point. After I hit the 8 mile mark I looked down and calculated I was around 61 mins into the run. I knew I was in for a good time and really wasn't dreading the 5 miles left. I think my pace only fell off slightly towards the end, but not significantly and was very psyched to avg 7:49 per mile. Quads were getting a little tight at the end, but am very happy with my running at this point in the game with 2 months to go! I think a sub 4 hour marathon at LP is very possible at this point! I ran 4:21 in 2008 with my best half iron run time of 1:52 that year. This course was hillier. The clouds were nice but it did get a little humid on the run.

Nothing at all. I felt good and had a great attitude the whole run.
Post race
Warm down:

Brought my Stick so I rubbed down a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim start needs to be more controlled.

Event comments:

Was great to meet a fellow BT'r at the race and have someone to talk to prior. Fred was smoking on the bike but lost a huge amount of time to a wrong turn. He went flying by me at mile 20 or so and I thought something was wrong because he was out of T1 ahead of me. He also got some bad directions on the run and ended up calling it a day. I felt bad for him because he was on fire on the bike and could have posted a pretty special time. His bike split was pretty awesome even with the missed turn.

I thought this was a very challenging course overall and a good prep for LP. The race was well run and had a lot of very nice, helpful volunteers. Only downside was there were a lot of turns and you really had to pay attention or you could miss one. (I did and so did Fred.)

Overall I would recommend this race. After race BBQ was very good with burgers, perogies, dogs and drinks. Nicely done NJ Multisport!

Last updated: 2010-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:44 | 1931 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 25/165
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: 1 Lap counterclockwise rectangular loop.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:54 | 56.66 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Overall: 49/165
Wind: Some
Course: 1 Loop course. Technical (35 diferrent turns on the cue sheet)and hilly in some sections. Roads were ok for most part, but some long stretches were in poor in condition. There was one 12 mile section that was fairly flat and straight which was nice, but the rest of the course was fairly hilly. Not monster hills, but some decent climbs and a lot of gradual grades.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:28 | 13.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 34/165
Performance:
Course: Hilly course. Reminds me very much of the LP course loop. 2 loops on paved roads. 2 miles of each loop are inside the park and the rest is on the highway leading to the park. Steepest hill is about 1.5 miles before the end of each loop....again reminding me of LP.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-24 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Subject: The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2010-05-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2879215

User image

Subject: RE: The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon

After two years, Welcome Back to Racing.   Good job refocusing on the swim.  Good job pacing yourself on the Bike.  And SOLID Run!!  Good Race overall.

2010-05-25 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2879215

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Subject: RE: The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Crazy run, I wish that happened to me more often Smile.  Good luck in LP, I'll keep an eye out for that sub-4 mary
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Jerseyman Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed