United States
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 34s
Overall Rank = 30/427
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 3/70
Pre-race routine:

Loaded up car the night before, had grapenuts for breakfast and some fruit, got the the race about 6:15 with Kara and Riley in tow, gotta love reserved transition racks.
Event warmup:

rode a mile or 2, swam a couple hundred yards. Swimming warmup is a necessity for me, mostly for the confidence, cold and rough water and a long swim still freak me out the first couple minutes, better to get that out of the way before the gun goes off.
Swim
  • 28m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty much a mass start, I think it was men 30-49, a very large group. I went to the extreme inside and swam inside until the first turn bouy. Benefits: I breath to right and could watch the group for navigation so sighting forward was much less frequent and far fewer swimmers. Draw backs: swimming into wind/current, starting on far right would've allowed riding the waves to the first turn bouy.

As the pack tightened up near the first turn it got pretty physical for awhile but I managed to just keep swimming. Again at second turn, but not quite as bad. I stuck to the plan pretty well of swimming in a relaxed manner and controlled pace.

Felt some fatigue in neck and shoulders in the last 1/3, probably somewhat fatigued still from Tuesday's openwater swim and Thursday's Masters class.
What would you do differently?:

Give the swim a little more rest before the race, I felt the openwater practice was worthwhile though. Maybe swim at a higher exertion level, I think it is mainly a confidence thing knowing if I get tired/dunked I can recover rather than giving up some time to avoid those things.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

12th fastest T1 OA, 2nd AG. Loooooooong run on the pavement from the beach to my bike, my feet were killing me, pretty raw from running around barefoot the night before at a culdesac BBQ.

not much, maybe slow down the run a little bit, my HR was skyrocketed when I got on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Drank most of a 20 bottle of Hammer Perpetuem, say 1.5 scoops of powder and 60 oz water. Tried a GU Chomp but the liquid fuel was much more paletable.

First quarter lap was struggling to get into rythm, played the avoid drafting, cat and mouse game with a couple other guys before a tight pack of 3 passed me by LVCC, I started feeling better about that time and, being moderately pissed about that blatent drafting, caught and passed them and let 'er eat for a little while, didn't see the drafters again and swapped spots with the non-cheaters a few more times as the hills and wind mixed things up.

Second lap was pretty crowded as the sprint traffic mixed in, I expended a bunch of energy in the tight stuff accelerating out of corners, it was fun but not real smart from a race standpoint. Average power was 225W.

avoid or minimize the higher efforts, they don't give much time and hurt quite a bit on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

41st OA, 9th AG. Put on socks in T2 due to hamburger feet, that could have gone faster. Pulled Garmin from bike mount and stuck in jersey pocket before dismount.

take better care of feet in days and weeks leading up to race so I can run without socks.
Run
  • 43m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran slightly on the pain side of discomfort the whole way. My quads were on the verge of cramping and calves weren't much better. The short steep hill followed by downhill about mile 1 was particularly cruel. Managed a fairly even pace given that I felt slow but knew that going faster would result in cramping. Didn't get passed by anybody near my pace, left in the dust by a couple of speedsters but kept the pace up enough to stay out of reach of those closer to my speed.

Took a splash of gatorade, a splash of water, then dumped the rest on head at each aid station.

I was expecting to go at 6:40-6:45 per mile pace not 7:00, but I ran as hard as I was capable on this day, maybe too much on the bike, probably just need to do some bricks after longer/intense rides.
Post race
Warm down:

stood around and talked and ate, stood in line for a massage for 1/2 hour then gave up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

perhaps preparation, possibly too much expended on bike (or unwisely spent). Was targeting under 2:20, needed to run 6:45s to get there. No complaints or regrets though, got 3rd in AG in a pretty large race, and the prize was a nice 64oz Growler, definitely a keeper.

Event comments:

Great post race activities and excellent race, I think this one will continue to grow. Note the "Triathlon Experience" was not as good an experience as last year, still a good value with the reserved parking, shade for the family, and extra swag but the porta-crapper to athlete ratio was low as was the masseuse to athlete ratio.

Last updated: 2010-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/70
Overall: 79/427
Performance: Good
Suit: F2R Sockeye
Course: CCW Rectangular, wind and current from right side on the way out
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:07:35 | 24.85 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/70
Overall: 32/427
lap 1: 22.0 mph, 168/160 bpm max/avg lap 2: 22.0 mph, 162/152 bpm max/avg
Wind:
Course: 2 loops around Longview Lake, tight technical section by LVCC and good climb about 2/3 around lap.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:24 | 06.21 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/70
Overall: 42/427
Performance:
mile 1: 6:43, 158 bpm mile 2: 7:12, 155 bpm mile 3: 7:31, 155 bpm mile 4: 7:33, 157 bpm mile 5: 7:23, 158 bpm mile 6: 7:09, 164 bpm Not sure about the mile splits, pretty sure the course was a full 6.2 but I only logged 6.0, maybe lost some detail with Garmin in pocket and the tree cover.
Course: 2 loops, park road out with a couple hills, paved path back, mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?