Start 2 Finish, Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 66/168
Pre-race routine:

Just like last year, we rode down to Memphis on Friday leaving at 5:30am and picking up teammates along the way. We finally got going at 7:15 and started the 11 hour ride.

Friday night - Picked up packets at 6:30pm, checked into hotel and took a 20 minute spin on the bike around town. Ate chicken parm and spaghetti at a restaurant. Shared room with two teammates.

Saturday - Got up early and ate breakfast (bagels, peanut butter, yogurt and coffee). Went to the Sprint race at 8:00am to cheer on two teammates who were doing the Sprint/Oly challenge. Biked, ran and swam part of the course. Stayed for some of the expo and ate lunch at subway. Stayed in room and out of the heat for the rest of the day and prepared my bike and transition bag. Ate dinner at a restaurant (ravioli).

Sunday - woke up at 4:20am and loaded everyone's bikes onto truck and got to the course just as transition opened. Got a good spot in my group, but the lottery placed the M40-44 guys at the far end away from the bike exit. Body marked ourselves as the lines were long.
Event warmup:

Biked 20 minutes with a few pickups. Ran 10 minutes with a few pickups. Couldn't swim as they kicked everyone out of the water, even those away from the start. It wouldn't have mattered as the TT start was another lottery and the M40-44 were next to last. Started 1:15 after the first swimmers left.
Swim
  • 28m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

The TT starts is on a slippery ramp (saw more than one swimmer biff it on the ramp). Best to run in carefully and then dolphin dive a few times to get to deeper water.

I'm improving but my swim is still much slower than I'd like. I felt this swim was loads better than last year thanks to Masters and I came out of the water 2 1/2 minutes faster and less fatigued. I was able to catch a few drafts and did better sighting and swimming on course.
What would you do differently?:

Drills
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

T1 was 34s slower this year. I knew it would be somewhat slower because of the De Soto two-piece. I need to practice more taking it off. Also, had to put Garmin onto wrist as I didn't get the bike quick-release for the watch, yet.

Practice with new suit.
Buy Garmin bike set-up for the watch.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a problem with my computer so rode by feel; rather than by MPH. Ended riding 3:48 min faster than last year, which was good considering the heat and humidity. Passed many riders who either came out of T1 faster or were from earlier waves. Passed by one rider.

I should have pushed it harder. The course was over before I knew it and I had some left in the tank.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Much better T2 than last year - faster by 58s. Went smoothly.
Run
  • 52m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was hot and hard. Temps were about 90 degrees at this time of the morning and humidity was high. Passed lots of walkers (hills and flats) and only walked at two aid stations to make sure I got my fluids down. Saw lots of people at the sides of the road and a few ambulances. Picked it up before the 6 mile marker on the levy where my friend, Dwight, yelled at my to sprint it in. I thought I had taken in enough fluids but started to get tunnel vision due to the heat. The whole run hurt bad, and that last 400 meters hurt the worse, but then I was in the chute and done and still upright. Right foot capsilitus hurt like hell the entire run.

I ran about as hard as I could in the heat. The run times for all -including pros - were way slower than last year. Normally, I think I should have run a 45min 10k for this course.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity. Slow T1. Bad bike computer.

Event comments:

I love this destination race. Its a national qualifier for USAT and the challenge and purse attracts pros and fast AGers from all over the country. They're moving it to northern MS next year, but still close to Memphis. The drive down on Friday and back on Sunday after the race makes for a long, but worthwhile, weekend.

Last updated: 2010-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:35 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 121/168
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto T1 First Wave
Course: Because the park has a narrow boat ramp, they start us out in TT fashion every 3 seconds. Once in the water, swim out 50 meters and veer left to first buoy 400 meters along the lake shore. Right turn to next buoy 350 meters into lake. Another right turn to next buoy 400 meters and then 350 meters back to the start/finish.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:03 | 24.85 miles | 21.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 80/168
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The well-marked course with volunteers was looped and through mainly county roads with little traffic and one stretch with lots of traffic but we were coned off. It is shorter than 40k.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:55 | 06.21 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/168
Performance: Good
Course: The run is an out and back and finishes with the last 200m on a levee, which was lined with spectators - very high energy.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-25 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Subject: Memphis in May

2010-05-25 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2880952

Subject: RE: Memphis in May
Great race, way to push through the heat on the run. That was one of the toughest runs I've had to do. Tunica will be much flatter, but windy and with NO shade next year.
2010-05-25 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2881495

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Subject: RE: Memphis in May
Regarding the heat, I just read that the heat index was 100, which gives me some comfort in my run time.  Otherwise, I'd have been kind of miffed about the race.

Its a great race you guys have down there.  I raced this last year when it was a nice 71 (although windy) and we plan to be back next year, too.  That's good to know about the new venue.  This race is truly classic and I hope they bring back that announcer and the Elvis who sang the National Anthem and helped out on the TT line. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed