Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 32m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We rolled into the state park around 2pm, got our camper set up then headed over to packet pick up. I wasn't sure how to even prepare for a 5pm super sprint, so I kept the food fairly light during the day (on the 5.5 hour drive) and kept a constant flow of EFS in my system.
Event warmup:

None - just got in and went!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 273 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

HOw in the world can you draft when the water is black? Being in the high 300's the water was really stirred up by the time we started. Add to that the 2 weeks of rain they had had and it was a mess! I had leaves and clumps of dirt inside my tri top when I finished the race. I had a hard time with the dark water, it made me claustrophobic I think - something I've never experienced before! Mostly the swim was over almost as soon as it started - 250 is pretty darn short!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I just got a little freaked with the dark (sometimes literally black) water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There was a fairly long run up to transition. Funny thing was Friday night we were running, Sat. am still a jog, sat. pm a fast walk and Sunday - almost a crawl!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Quick 5 mile bike. I kept my pace at 60% effort. I was getting passed a lot but no biggie - it was a lOOOOOOg weekend!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

My dear husband (and race partner) waited in transition for me so I threw on my shoes quickly to go run with him!
Run
  • 00m
  • 1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I saw a guy loose his shoe in the mud! I was looking at the other racers' legs covered in mud thinking "Wow, how in the world did they get so muddy?" Then I looked at my own legs - ewww!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, we stuck to our 60% effort and enjoyed the time together!
Post race
Warm down:

Waited while Paul got food and visited quickly with friends before heading back to the camper. Grabbed a shower and some dinner and it was time for bed!! Unfortunately at 10pm the park ranger came around to warn us about approaching strong storms and possible hail and tornadoes. UH - WTF do you do when there are tornado warnings and you are in a pop up camper?! Not a lot of sleep that night, luckily no tornadoes, but lots of heavy rain and lots and lots of lightning and thunder. Scary stuff!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess if I trained better my 60% would have been faster, but we did what we could!

Event comments:

Great start to an epic weekend!!

Last updated: 2009-11-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 273 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Time trail start, triangular swim in what was hands down the muddiest lake I've ever swum in.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 05 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Short and fairly flat out and back followed by an uphill then downhill out and back. It was 5 miles so again, it went by pretty quick!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 01 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: This was the only grass running we did all weekend. The only thing I can say about the run was mud, mud and more mud!!! Up a steep but really short hill then flat on the trail before we turned around to head back in.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes