North Shore Triathlon Club
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 33s
Overall Rank = 20/273
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up very early, walked the dogs, made coffee and realized that running angry hill repeats up and down Heritage Mountain may have been a bad idea.
Event warmup:

Got to the race, set up transition, watched the Dr. pop balloons, destroy dreams and lay the smack down on the dumb newbies that can't figure out that their bike is not ready to race because it may kill someone. Got everything set up, Kari made sure I had all my crap, of which, of course I didn't. Thank god she comes out!
Swim
  • 13m 11s
  • 740 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

All in all it was a great swim. My goggles leaked due to having to take the cap and glasses off as I was getting in. They needed a diff color so they made me strip off the one I had for a new one, breaking the seal I had on my goggles. The first 350m had me stopping to attempt to fix my goggles, they filled up each time I went under. After the 4th or 5th try, they finally sealed. F! I was swimming so smooth and easy I was amazed, I even lapped 3 people! Unheard of. Lost a lot of time jerking around with the goggles though. F!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I'm set to go in the water. I was rushed to get my cap and goggles on and I just wasn't ready. Other than that, nothing would have changed, very happy with this swim.!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No thought about timing this one, too concentrated on getting out the door. The volunteers gave me some wrong information about the T1 but it was minor and wasn't that big of a deal.

Head down, concentrate on getting out the door. Have to practice mounting the bike on the move, spending too much time getting the shoes / pedals set up to get on.
Bike
  • 31m 29s
  • 20 kms
  • 38.12 km/hr
Comments:

Thank god for my biking skills. Looking at my OV #'s I would be so far out of the running for a podium spot if I couldn't roll. 1st in the AG and 6th OV, I'm happy with that. Not too happy with the other numbers, I really need to start honing the skills on the other two parts of this racing stuff. The ride was exciting with all the yo-yos weaving all over the road. "ON YOUR LEFT" seems to translate into "MOVE FURTHER TO YOUR RIGHT!!!" I'm no pro but if you can't understand the basics of this sport, such as basic safety and etiquette, perhaps you should choose a different sport. When I come up behind you doing 55.3 Km/hr and you're doing a zig-zag pattern, you'd better figure it out. CORNERING! Get the F out of my way!!!!! When I yell at you GO! GO GO!!!!! Stopping is NOT what I want you to do!!!! This is a RACE! Stopping is done at the END or when you've had enough of me lapping you. Either way, MOVE IT! F me!

Air horn. And a pamphlet. For you to read LATER! Not now, we're racing! Take my yelling at you as constructive criticism. I'll even give you advice. BUT NOT WHEN THE CLOCK IS RUNNING! Before. Really I'm a nice guy, but not if you are doing something that impedes me or puts me and others at risk of injury. So really, what would I do differently? Nothing! You? Get your shit wired up and stay right, roll through those hair pin corners and don't get all upset when I'm yelling at you. I know what I'm doing, what about you!?!?!?!?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Rolled in, jumped off the bike, ran to the rack. Took off.

Be more awesome. Pfft! Who am I trying to kid? If I'm any better, I'll be posting negative numbers!
Run
  • 19m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Had a really bad cramp in my chest? Diaphram? Maybe. Hurt like hell for the first 2 K. After that, I managed to take off. Felt good, passed a few people and ended up with not too bad of a time. Problem is....well 2 really; 1) I ran really hard the day before (kind of dumb) 2) I'm not really set up for the Sprint running anymore. Long distance baby!

Ahh, whatever. Run faster I guess.
Post race
Warm down:

Ater some bagels, oranges and waited to see the awards. Got 3rd in the AG, won a door prize! $25 and NS athletics! 2nd prize ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Build for long distance, not the short stuff.

Event comments:

Good race. Might try for a better position on the podium next year!

Last updated: 2010-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:11 | 740 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 70/273
Performance: Good
Suit: SPeed Suit
Course: A whole bunch of back and forth. A big old melee!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:29 | 20 kms | 38.12 km/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 6/273
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 4 loops on a slight to moderate rolling course
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:53 | 05 kms | 03m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 60/273
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail and road running, some good hills. Great set up!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-25 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: North Shore Spring Triathlon

2010-05-25 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2881901

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: North Shore Spring Triathlon

Sorry dude. I just laugh when you get angry...no help here!

Good job on the 3rd place and 2nd podium in a row!

2010-05-25 8:14 PM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Luv the intensity! Ever thought of a carear change?? lol, great race, glorious ride!
2010-05-26 12:10 AM
in reply to: #2882108

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-26 12:14 AM

Dude, you ripped it up out there. Nice job.

I look forward to seeing the draft version of the pamphlet. I foresee a lot of expletives that will need to be edited out...
2010-05-26 11:02 PM

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
As usual you are a rocket out there on the bike.  Also you rip thorugh those transistions and race reports keep it up.  Bike is my best too but I am one of those guys you pass like I am standing still.

2010-05-29 4:53 PM

Regular
Vancouver
Very impressive bike times out there. Figure you must have legs that could kick start a jumbo jet!
Great race and report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Spring Triathlon Rss Feed