Mideast Multi-Sport Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 44s
Overall Rank = 73/143
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Coffee and breakfast bar on the drive over to Ceasar Creek park. Only about 12 miles from home, so it was really convenient. Straight to packet pickup and then body marking. This was my first race in the 35-39 AG. Felt strange cause I am still 34 (AG was determined as your age as of Dec 31st of race year). Spoke with a couple of folks mingling about. Drooled over some sick bikes. Setup transition in a great spot..end of rack.
Event warmup:

Setup transition area and had a prime spot. End of first rack closest to run exit. Drank some water and ate half of the shot block. Down to the swim start and dove in quickly....no wetsuit so had to just jump in! Water felt cool but not extremely cold. Talked a bit with the same teacher from OU that was there last year (she ended up racked next to me again).
Swim
  • 00m
  • 700 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

No idea on timing, but was definitely BOP. Since the chip timing shorted out, all splits were lost. Figures this was the only race I decided not to wear my watch and track my splits...wanted to go on perceived effort. Cool thing is that open water seems so natural to me....really comfortable. Passed a few people just before the turn around bouy, then some dude torpedoed by me...impressive....I honestly felt the force this guys wake as he pulled through his stroke.
What would you do differently?:

I felt pretty good...pushed harder than training. Just more time in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No idea on time here....but felt fast.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 13 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Again no idea on total time here, but I really pushed. Had the GPS and it was above 21mph most of the time.

Track my split time.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This felt like the fastest T2 ever.....bummer that chip timing shorted out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed myself hard on this run. I was a bit concerned that I hadnt done enough speed work, as I have been concentrating on building endurance/mileage. This run was slightly more difficult due to the recent rain...trail was a bit muddy. Grass was about shin high (for me) in the middle of the trail. Some folks were crossing over into oncoming runners lane to pass. Felt like I was making up some ground here.

Should have tracked my splits. Guessing at about 7:15 to 7:30 pace per mile.
Post race
Warm down:

I have been wondering lately if I had it in me to push myself up to and past my pain barrier. Where was that threshold .....it has been about 15 years since I pushed past it, primarily running track (440yd and 880yd). You always have that conversation internally with yourself, usually during the later part of a bike leg or mid-run. Do I back off a bit and save some for the finish or keep pushing the pace. Different than pacing IMHO, cause I can regulate pace after all these years of runing.....more like conciously making the decision to press your body through the wall, knowing pain was coming, but getting on with it anyway. This was my race to find where that place was deep inside.....I know where it is now.

After walking around a bit and drinking some Gatorade and eating a couple of banannas with 2 breakfast bars......went down to the beach and cooled off in the water. Typical warm-down, stretching and walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed work, but really nothing. I am OK with dropping almost 2 minutes from last year, although not sure which event improved due to chip timing shorting out.

Event comments:

Nice race course, well managed, plenty of police at intersections on the bike leg. Too bad about the chip timing issues....but overall a great race. Lots of fast peeps out there!

Last updated: 2010-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 700 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Average
Suit: No Wetsuit
Course: Out and back along the beach. Shorter than the 880yds listed......couple of others measured it at around 700yds.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 13 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Circular route.....out to the dam and back up 73. Not much traffic, as the roads were not closed.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Mixed pavement, gravel and trail run. Out and back along the beach to finish near the pavillion.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-25 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Tri Tech Ohio Challenge

2010-05-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2882204

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Tri Tech Ohio Challenge
nice finish time - it does suck about the splits.  it is hard to know what needs improvement w/o.

i was outspoken against wetsuits for a while since they are essentially legal cheating for those who are willing to spend the money -now at only $99 it helps level the playing field (and keeps ya nice and warm).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Tech Ohio Challenge Rss Feed