Other Resources My Cup of Joe » end of the school year frustration thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-26 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: end of the school year frustration thread

For teachers only! 

The kids are killing me.  I had 20 kids that owed me tests, 2 show up.  3 more did halfway through recess, I said buh bye! to them b/c they were 10 minutes later.  At this time of year, I got no patience for slacking, and they are totally slacking.

Besides, its like 90 degrees and 80% humidity outside and I'm dying. 

Any other teachers out there as frustrated with kids as I am in May?

2010-05-26 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2883288

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Subject: RE: end of the school year frustration thread
Uh, yeah.  I am going crazy.  I had a meeting at our district offices yesterday and therefore had a sub.  There was an easy homework assignment assigned that most probably could have finished in class.  Yet I've gotten less than 50% of them turned in so far through three periods.  But, I try very hard to stay Zen about it.  There's nothing I can do to change it.  So I just try to be as encouraging as possible and praise those students who are finishing strong. 

But yes, I am going crazy.  Really looking forward to life in 3+ weeks.
2010-05-26 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
No, I just had my end of the year awards ceremony for my students today and I cried!!!  I make it a mission to connect with all my students every year and I am always sad to move them along in some respects.  Even my 'trouble-makers' are dear to me.  I am going to miss my students tremendously, especially since I am moving school districts so I won't get to hug them in the hall next year and see how much they have changed.  The end of the year for me is not about tests.  I work in a low income school district and just pray for my students to hopefully have grasped some bigger life lessons from me and continue on a path for success through education.  I feel blessed and fortunate to be a school teacher. While some may complain and want to constantly criticize schools/teachers....even teachers know the system isn't perfect but great teachers rise above those circumstances and just really value the children and I hope my students know they are worthy, valued and important.  I am sentimental at the end of the school year.  I am looking forward to the summer though so I can spend quality time with my own daughters but I will be rearing to go again in August! 
2010-05-26 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Not a teacher, but thanks to those that are.

The teachers at my kids' schools are doing much better....last day of school was Friday.

2010-05-26 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
I'll tell you like I tell my teacher wife. In the words of that famous song, "don't worry, be happy."

If that doesn't work, take 2 Valiums and make yourself a Margarita.

My wife is eagerly awaiting the final day of school next week so that she and her teacher friends can take their yearly trip to her parent's beach house and spend a week lying on the beach while drinking frozen umbrella drinks and unwinding.

Hang in there. It's almost over.

2010-05-26 12:17 PM

Veteran
Minnesota
Our last day is tomorrow (thurs). The last week is always tougher behavior-wise, but being an elementary PE teacher I can do things to make it easier on myself. It helps that I have fewer classes with field trips and programs.

I just try to enjoy the students for better or worse.

2010-05-26 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

[HIJACK]

My wife is a teacher...  summer drives me crazy - I get up to go to work, everyone in the house is still asleep - ugghhh....  that and wife and daughter are like always there - not 15 minutes of quiet time a week.... 

[/HIJACK]

To the OP - the kids are driving her crazy!!  She says its like they all contracted ADD over the last week or so...  I will buy her a massage this weekend to help her decompress for the summer...

2010-05-26 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Public School here doesn’t end until June 28th, which seems really really late to me. Also, in an act of mind-numbingly senseless bureaucracy, the 28th is a Monday and it’s only a half-day, but it’s an official day of school with required attendance.

Anyone care to guess the over/under on % of students who actually show up that day? I’d put it at 60%.

My son’s teacher had a baby earlier this month, so she’s been out since the 7th. From what I’m hearing from the other teachers on this thread, it sounds like she planned it out perfectly.
2010-05-26 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I thought this was going to be about a stay-at-home parent dreading the kiddos being home all day everyday

2010-05-26 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks to all the teachers, I may be joining your ranks one day here. My wife is a teacher but luckily her situation is a little different. She teaches Elementary special ed with Low functioning autism students. From what she tells me there is not much difference for them between the last few weeks of school and regular school times for a few reasons. first they like set patterns to help them be successful so not much of the regular schedule changes. Second most of them continue going to a summer school type program for at least a half a day during the weekdays, usually in the same school so not much change. She does miss her students over the summer though.

I will also add that I agree I hate summer. She sleeps in long after I get up and leave for work, she stays up late all the time. She takes the dogs on all sorts of fun hikes and adventures during the day so by the time I get home they are to tired to play with me. How am I supposed to live like that!
2010-05-26 3:40 PM

User image

Master
x2 on the biggo thank you to teachers.

My son is "graduating" from kindergarten tomorrow night.  His last day of school isn't until June 3rd due to the snow days we racked up this winter.  I can tell, even at his age, that he is excited about the end of the year.

2010-05-26 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2883893

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
zed707 - 2010-05-26 3:05 PM

I thought this was going to be about a stay-at-home parent dreading the kiddos being home all day everyday

• .. and I thought it was going to be a thread about parents frustrated with their OWN kids slacking at the end of the school year. Without fail, my oldest completely looses focus at the end of the school year (and he's pretty un-focused MOST of the time - the end of the year is incredibly frustrating to try and keep him on task.....)

• Thanks to all you teachers for taking care of and putting up with our kids!!

2010-05-26 7:09 PM

User image

Elite
    Reno

turtlegirl - 2010-05-26 11:18 AM

had 20 kids that owed me tests, 2 show up.  3 more did halfway through recess, I said buh bye! to them b/c they were 10 minutes later.  At this time of year, I got no patience for slacking, and they are totally slacking.

Good for you for being old school about school!

2010-05-26 7:43 PM

User image

Pro
    Houston
    I feel for you - I homeschool 2 of mine and I am getting summer-itis.

Worse yet I have a junior in HS who had a 95 average in English, 'forgot' to turn in 2 assignments and now has a D - AWESOME!
    2010-05-26 8:29 PM
    in reply to: #2884728

User image

Champion
    Frisco, TX

KeriKadi - 2010-05-26 7:43 PM I feel for you - I homeschool 2 of mine and I am getting summer-itis.

Worse yet I have a junior in HS who had a 95 average in English, 'forgot' to turn in 2 assignments and now has a D - AWESOME!

Holy carp - I bet that is an upleasant dinner table....

Edited by ashort33 2010-05-26 8:29 PM
    2010-05-26 9:15 PM
    in reply to: #2883550

User image

Elite

ashort33 - 2010-05-26 12:26 PM

[HIJACK]

My wife is a teacher...  summer drives me crazy - I get up to go to work, everyone in the house is still asleep - ugghhh....  that and wife and daughter are like always there - not 15 minutes of quiet time a week.... 

[/HIJACK]

To the OP - the kids are driving her crazy!!  She says its like they all contracted ADD over the last week or so...  I will buy her a massage this weekend to help her decompress for the summer...

Thats exactly what I mean...we really earn the paychecks this last month leading upto the end.  I have to keep telling them exams, exams, exams...but they just are done.  Makes it really tough when the parents still have expecations!  I adore my kids, don't get me wrong, but getting them to do their work and on time as of late has been killer!

2010-05-27 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
    We have the last instructional day on 6/14, then the states regents exams begin. The absolute last day of school is 6/25.
    I teach High School PE, and we have kids who have figured out their average and know how many classes that they need to attend to pass the course for the year, and now they are not showing up to class or not coming prepared and sitting on the sidelines watching.
    The ones who are participating are bellyaching and complaining that they have to be outside in the sun for 30 mins. (the weather has finally gotten nice here in Central NY with temps in the high 70s to high 80s with low humidity and a nice breeze) I actually had a student complain because he had to walk 100 yds to get to his "tee" as we were playing frisbee golf. Not highly strenuous....
    I swear, we could take them to Jamaica, to an all inclusive resort, and all they would have to do is sit in a lounge chair, under an umbrella, and snap their fingers to order what ever they wanted for free, and they would complain about it.....RANT...Yell..!
    I do have to say that there are some who make it all worth while but this time of year is tough!
    2010-05-27 6:33 AM
    in reply to: #2883345

User image

Master
    Living in the past
    jmholmes02 - 2010-05-26 11:34 AM No, I just had my end of the year awards ceremony for my students today and I cried!!!  I make it a mission to connect with all my students every year and I am always sad to move them along in some respects.  Even my 'trouble-makers' are dear to me.  I am going to miss my students tremendously, especially since I am moving school districts so I won't get to hug them in the hall next year and see how much they have changed.  The end of the year for me is not about tests.  I work in a low income school district and just pray for my students to hopefully have grasped some bigger life lessons from me and continue on a path for success through education.  I feel blessed and fortunate to be a school teacher. While some may complain and want to constantly criticize schools/teachers....even teachers know the system isn't perfect but great teachers rise above those circumstances and just really value the children and I hope my students know they are worthy, valued and important.  I am sentimental at the end of the school year.  I am looking forward to the summer though so I can spend quality time with my own daughters but I will be rearing to go again in August! 

Nice post.
    2010-05-27 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
    Oak Cliff, Texas
    I teach Automotive Technology classes at an inner-city high school in Oak Cliff, Tx. The hardest part of my end-of-year non-sense is trying to complete all of our senior projects before the exams schedule starts. I love my job and have taught for 7years now. I am completing my Master's in Ed. Ad. and will have one more year in the classroom. Then I will lose 4 weeks of vacation from my summer when I become an AP. READY FOR NEXT THURSDAY, last exam.......
    2010-05-27 10:31 AM

User image

Elite

Don't get me wrong folks, I love my kids. I've been teaching now 12 years, have my masters (got through school and many summers "off").  But kids are just kind of out of kilter the last few weeks.  I know for us its the change in schedule that affects many kids.  Plus all the parties, field day, stress of exams, and missing their friends stress that throws everyone out of whack.

And I do miss them...just not till July.

2010-05-27 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
    Lubbock, TX
    Not frustrated anymore!!!

Just graded my last final and have all my grades entered in the grade book!!

Bell rings in 40 minutes and I'm gettin the heck outta here!!

Beautiful day in Lubbock Texas for a bike ride!!!

2010-05-27 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
    Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
    Me!  Today (7th period) a girl literally screamed in my face when I took her Ipod.  Freaked out then walked out.  Admin didn't have anyone available to hunt her down, so she went walkabout for two periods (double period reading intervention class).  The rest of the kids were uncharacteristically good.  Probably though I was going to flip out next.  I showed remarkable restraint and kept calm.

My "honors" class (there's a reson for the quotes) is driving me nuts too.  Lots of missing work, parental hand-wringing, and little concern from the students.  The emails are flying fast and furious.  "How can Precious Pumpkin pass your class, preferably with an A?  You do understand how special she is, right?"  Hmmm, considering Precious Pumpkin hasn't turned in any work since February, I'd not get my hopes up.  I hear summer school is pretty special.

(Disclaimer- I'm currently on Prednisone for hives due to seasonal pollen.  It makes me mean as a snake and hungry too.  Nothing like 'roid rage in with 9 days left of school.   Grrr. Yell
    2010-05-28 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
    "Senior" HS PE Student to another PE student in my class yesterday, Yells across field "Aaron are you F*&#ing kidding me!?" I reply to watch you mouth this is your last warning....
    His reply "did you see what he F*&#ing did?!"
    I then told him to leave and I would send the paperwork in behind him and he replied that he was 18 and he could do what he wanted. I proceded to explain to him that there were places he could use that language and this was not one of them and he told me "I can die for you, I can swear for you!" I then tried to explain to him (keeping rather cool I want to add) that while that maybe true you still cannot use that language in my class and you need to leave right now.
    He then replied "Oh yeah I forgot you are a tough guy...."
    This is the class after the one I kicked him out of for using inappropriate language two days before. They have class every other day.
    He is such a sweetheart!

Summer can not get here soon enough!  Tongue out
    2010-05-28 8:00 AM
    in reply to: #2884728

User image

Pro
    Wallingford, PA
    KeriKadi - 2010-05-26 8:43 PM

I feel for you - I homeschool 2 of mine and I am getting summer-itis.

ugh - this sounds SO much like my son (7th grade). He's a really smart kid. I mean REALLY smart. Yet he consistently winds up with grades one or two letter grades lower than he would have if he had bothered to actually turn in his homework on time (the really sad part is that 95% of the time he has actually DONE the homework, and completed it on time - he just doesn't turn it in! SO FRUSTRATING!!!)

Edited by jsnowash 2010-05-28 8:04 AM
    2010-05-28 8:25 AM
    in reply to: #2884636

User image

Elite
    Evergreen, CO
    jsnowash - 2010-05-26 5:39 PM
    zed707 - 2010-05-26 3:05 PM

... and I thought it was going to be a thread about parents frustrated with their OWN kids slacking at the end of the school year. Without fail, my oldest completely looses focus at the end of the school year (and he's pretty un-focused MOST of the time - the end of the year is incredibly frustrating to try and keep him on task.....) Thanks to all you teachers for taking care of and putting up with our kids!!

Yep, parents are frustrated too!  My youngest graduated h.s. by the skin of his teeth and the kindness of his teachers.  I could never deal with an entire classroom like him.  It's so frustrating that they want to do the minimum to get by, rather than work and learn and excel.
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » end of the school year frustration thread Rss Feed  

of 2