General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Custom Bike rack for truck. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-28 11:33 PM

Regular
Subject: Custom Bike rack for truck.
I have a honda ridgeline truck and need to make a bike rack to carry my bike to races and such.  I am very particular and won't put my bike on top my truck and don't like carrying it behind the truck.  I want it out of the wind and debris.  I bought two fork mount attachments and need to put them on some wood.  Do you all use 2X4's, 2X6's, 2X10's what seems to be the most stable and work the best.  I would also like to lock these down because my truck has some built in spots where I can keep the rack from being taken out of the back of my truck.  Would love to hear your opinions and see some pics of your rigs.  Thanks, whitecloud. 

2010-05-29 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2889800

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
Subject: RE: Custom Bike rack for truck.
We used to have a 2x4 with fork mounts bolted to it in my Chevy Silverado 2500K. The truck bed has molded areas where you can slip the 2x4 in and the board won't move (the molded areas are really there so you can place three 2x4's across the bed of the truck so it forms a platform above the bead for hauling bigger stuff.) Anyway, it wasn't lockable, but did work great for just transporting the bikes. If we had needed to lock them, we could have put a cable lock around them bikes and locked them to the gooseneck trailer hitch safety chain loops. Which I kind of doubt you have in a Ridgeline... Smile  But I just wanted to let you know that it does work well as a way to transport them (helps if you have an extended or crew cab so you can put the front wheels in the back seat.)
2010-05-29 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2889800

Subject: RE: Custom Bike rack for truck.
I have a Nissan Frontier with the short bed. I use a fork drilled into a 2x4. I also put two cinder blocks on each side just to make sure it doesn't tip over. Works great for me. Depending where I go I'll lock the bike onto the bed extender cage.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Custom Bike rack for truck. Rss Feed