Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Moms and Dads please come in - registery help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-05-30 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2890424

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: Moms and Dads please come in - registery help
white onesies
diapers
relatives to take the kid whenever possible

2010-05-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2890361

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Like KeriKadi I was  very "minimalist" with my approach to babies.....cloth diapers , breastfeeding , home made baby food, blah blah blah, you get the picture!

However what I would have appreciated was a housecleaning service. Perhaps a bit of an unorthodox thing to ask for.......but trust me the LAST thing you are going to want to do after countless sleepless nights is push around the darn vacuum.

Just a thought.

Best of luck Trishie..........
I am frankly jealous and wish I could do it all over again........ 
2010-05-30 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Thanks everyone for your advice !

We think we're going to do cloth diapers (husband is more of an enviornmentalist than I am, but I don't like the idea of thousands of diapers sitting in landfills for hundreds of years) -- although we have to do disposable for day care. Apparently there are MANY different types of cloth diapers out there and I suppose it's time to do our research.

Our shower isn't for a couple of months, so I know there's time, but I want to start getting ready and not go to Babies R Us completely blind and just start with the scanner (ahem, like I did w our wedding registry --- still haven't used the crepe pan or the "roll your own sushi" cookbook!)
2010-05-30 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
  • Cervelo P4 XXXXXS
  • Zoot infant shoes
  • Gerber's Gels 24-pak

2010-05-30 5:44 PM

User image

I forgot to add - my friends all really loved getting gift cards to restaurants.  Not your typical baby shower gift, but they said it was really nice to not have to cook dinner after staying up all night with a new baby.  People often bring food, but it's nice to be able to order what you like and not have to use up freezer/fridge space with food you might not like, but hate to waste.
2010-05-30 6:03 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
Not a mom here, but one who has thrown numerous showers and has many friends with lots of children:

One tip my BFF gave...no need to go overboard on the baby wash.  Her point (that you might not think of but seems perfectly logical...small body, big bottle.  She'd bought something like 10 bottle of baby wash, and she went thru 2 of them in 1.5 years or something like that.  Granted, you can keep using it, but as adults, we don't necessarily think like that.

Good luck, and congratulations!

2010-05-30 7:13 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Febreeze. For stinky messes and when you're a stinky mess and someone comes over unexpectedly. Spray, walk thru, it's like a new mom's answer to a shower.

Books. We started reading to our girls when they were newborns. Video camera - if you don't have one already. Little bitty cowbell so he can cheer you on your first race post baby

2010-05-30 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2891199

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
trishie - 2010-05-30 5:26 PM Thanks everyone for your advice !

We think we're going to do cloth diapers (husband is more of an enviornmentalist than I am, but I don't like the idea of thousands of diapers sitting in landfills for hundreds of years) -- although we have to do disposable for day care. Apparently there are MANY different types of cloth diapers out there and I suppose it's time to do our research.

Our shower isn't for a couple of months, so I know there's time, but I want to start getting ready and not go to Babies R Us completely blind and just start with the scanner (ahem, like I did w our wedding registry --- still haven't used the crepe pan or the "roll your own sushi" cookbook!)

I used pre folded cloth diapers and velcro covers made of a Gore Tex like fabric. 

I also used diaper liners. These come in a giant roll like toilet paper. You line the diaper with them. If the baby poops you can then flush the liner. If not then you just wash the liner with the diapers. They are made of a soft cloth like paper and you can wash them over and over. This way you get to skip the whole rinse the poopy diaper in the toilet step. 

I used a plain old diaper pale with a mix of TONS of white vinegar and water. No stains . No smell. Easy. 

Sigh.......I miss that phase of my life.......I really really do..........would do it all again in a heartbeat!
2010-05-30 7:44 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
I agree with the others that a wipes warmer is silly if you are using disposable wipes.
However, we used cloth diapers so we also used cloth wipes which are SO much nicer and you use 2 cloth wipes on a bad poo you would normally use 6-8 disposable wipes with so the wipes warmer has made sense and we use it daily.  I use water, lavender and a small shake of Tea Tree Oil in my wipes solution, get wipes wet and put in warmer.
Because you are looking into cloth diapers I would again recommend www.naturalbabies.com as they have a sample package where you can order a little bit of everything to see what works best for you.  For the newborn stage we really like fitteds because those newborn poos are really runny if you are breastfeeding, Bummis or wool were our favorite covers.  Likely the most popular cloth diaper is FuzziBunz which are great but pricey - the good news is my daughter is 3 and still wears mediums and you can sell them or use them for the next child.  Another fav cloth diaper is from LucysHopeChest.com and I really like that she is a WAHM whereas the FuzziBunz are made at a factory in Mexico.
There are TONS of cloth diapering websites, bulletin boards and blogs so it is easy to get overwhelmed try to keep it simple and let me know if you have any questions.
I would also highly recommend any book by Dr. Sears.
Best Wishes!
2010-05-30 9:04 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
If you need any big ticket stuff......I highly advise a battery operated baby swing.  My oldest was happiest in that.  My younger one liked the bouncy seat that I bought from a consignment shop.  (Great deals on some things there and if it's been gently used you can save a fortune)
2010-05-30 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I have 3 kids and I found that each kid used different baby products. My one son loved his swing, the other prefered his bouncy seat. One of my kids needed a special type of formula, the other was allergic to a certain lotion, etc, etc.

It's hard to know what you will and won't use when it comes to non-essential items (which others have identified) because each child is different. By the time I got to my 3rd, I hardly got anything besides diapers & formula, and the few things I did get, I got off of craigslist.

I agree with those who are mentioning gift cards for meals and cleaning services. Those can always use and will be very grateful for.

2010-05-30 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran

As a mother to three daughters, I found I needed minimal things even though I had it all!  I realized that all babies want human contact, mostly from mommy...so out goes all the swings/baby bouncers etc.  I nursed my girls-no need for bottles etc....my babies slept with me...no need for cribs....by the time I had my third daughter I realized I needed diapers, car seat, clothing and lots of energy! My one favorite item that I could not live without is a baby sling!  I liked a 'ring style sling'.  There are many brands but work pretty much the same.  The might seem awkward at first but if you could get in touch with a mom who has one...probably at a breastfeeding meeting...they could show how wonderful and useful they are for baby!  I could not have survived grocery shopping with three kids without my baby in the sling!  Good luck, enjoy your pregnancy!

2010-05-31 2:06 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
learn to double sheet the bed.   pad it, Sheet it, put a waterproof pad on top, sheet it again.  When you have a diaper blowout,  or a sick tummy, you just yank off the tops sheet and top....voila, deal with it in the morning!!!

If he/she's a pacificer baby ( and we were all big fans here!)  Have millions of extras.  Pile a dozen around her head in her crib, so whenever she looks, there is one!  Also, always have 2 in each car, bike, bag, purse, drresser, etc.
2010-05-31 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Some other suggestions....

- Food Processor ( we plan on using "real" food and not jar food for baby Cam once he starts eating whole food, so fresh veggies and then they get grounded up into the puree)

-Toddler things: spoons, forks, spippy cups, plates

2010-05-31 7:31 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Okay, I've written down everything I think we could possibly need (including the models/ colors of some brands)... thoughts? This isn't a complete "I must buy it" list -- rather, a list of things I think we might (or might not?) need.

Nursery

-          Crib

• Babi Italia Eastside Single Crib - Classic Cherry
  • Carter's Sleep Haven Single Convertible Crib – Chocolate

-          Crib mattress

• Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crib Mattress
  • Sealy Baby Ultra Rest Crib Mattress

-          Crib bedding

• “All Creatures Great and Small” (Land of Nod)
    • Crib quilt (1)
    • Fitted sheet (3)
    • Bumper (1)
  • “Giggling Turtle” (Gap)

-          Dresser

• Babi Italia Eastside Dresser/Changer Combo - Classic Cherry
  • Carter's Sleep Haven Dresser - Chocolate

-          Changing pad

-          Recliner (Mom)

-          Bookshelf (C&B - already have)

-          Artwork/ mural/ decorations (name hanging on ribbons?)

-          Rug (Darlene)

-          Curtains

• Dark Blue Curtain Panels (Land of Nod)

-          Lamp

• Light Years Lamp in Dark Blue (Land of Nod)

-          Safety

• Smoke detector
  • Carbon monoxide detector

-          Diaper genie

-          Sleep sheep

-          Sheet saver

-          Mobile

-          Night light

-          Basinette

-          “Pillow” to keep head from turning

Travel

-          Stroller

• Bob Ironman Stroller
  • Greco MetroLite Stroller – Racer

-          Car seat (compatible with BOB)

• Greco SnugRide 35 – Racer

-          Car seat base (2 extra)

Feeding

-          Boppy pillow

-          Bottles (Dr. Browns/ Avent)

-          Nippes

-          Bottle brush

-          Breast pump (from Megan??)

-          The First Years Spin and Store drying rack

-          High chair

-          Sippy cups

-          Toddler plates/ bowls

Diapers

-          G diapers

-          Fuzzi Buns

-          Disposables for newborn

-          Disposables – size 1

-          Diaper cream

-          Diaper rash ointment

-          Wipes

Bath

-          Fisher Price Precious Planet Whale of a Tub

-          Carter’s Terry Robe

-          Dr. Suess ABC Hooded Towels and Washcloth Set

Wear

-          Receiving blankets

-          Swaddle blankets

-          Sleep sacks

-          Onesies

-          Side snap shirts

Misc.

-          Pack and play (with changing table)

-          Diaper bag

-          Toy clips

-          Sun shade for car windows

-          Baby carrier/ sling

-          Baby Moniter

Health and safety

-          Thermometer (digital)

-          Nail clippers

-          Washcloths

-          Bibs

-          Burp cloths

-          Baby Tylenol, Baby Orajel, Baby Mylicon

-          Pacifiers

-          Hand sanitizer

-          Baby Shampoo

-          Soap --??? do babies need soap?

-          Baby lotion

-          Cabinet locks

Play/ entertainment

-          Swing

-          Exersaucer

-          Bouncy seat

2010-05-31 10:03 PM

User image

Michigan
just a few quick thoughts. my wife did a lot of research on baby safety stuff, so you may want to look into the following things:

the sleep pillow thing- we've always read and been told to have NOTHING in the crib with the baby. no bumper thing, no blankets, nothing.

same thing goes for the car shade. we went to a car seat inspection (which you should do, ~80% of car seats are installed incorrectly), and they told us not to have anything in the car that could act as a projectile if in an accident.

one thing you should look into though, is a car seat cover. it goes over the car seat to keep your baby warm when you are taking him/her to the car. we used ours all the time in the winter. here is one that is very similar to the one we have. you want one that goes on the outside of the car seat, not one that goes between the baby and the car seat.

http://www.target.com/Babys-Cozy-World-Embroidered-Carrier/dp/B000VPPS9M/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1275361222&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576%7C1287991011&keywords=car%20seat%20cover&searchSize=30&id=Babys%20Cozy%20World%20Embroidered%20Carrier&searchBinNameList=purchasing_channel%2Csubjectbin%2Ctarget_com_age%2Ctarget_com_gender-bin%2Ctarget_com_character-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-24&searchPage=1

2010-05-31 10:51 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

I will second the cloth diaper thing... (or third or whatever...)

We have used mother's ease cloth diapers.  We got a set for our first child who is now seven.  Our third will be arriving any day now and she will be using the same diapers... plastic snaps, soft cloth... great stuff.  very durable. 

http://www.mother-ease.com/

Congrats... and remember.... humans have existed and raised children for a long time without lots of stuff... but never without love.

2010-05-31 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't use cloth diapers, so I have no idea, but is a diaper genie compatible with cloth diapers?
2010-05-31 11:12 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
You cannot use a Diaper Genie w/Cloth diapers because they will not fit in the hole and you're kind of defeating one of the purposes of less waste using the plastic liner.  We use a regular trash can - smaller kitchen size with a lid, no solution or anything.  Ours is in the garage so we don't have to worry about stink.  In the beginning you will wash every 2-3 days now I wash every 4 days.  Be careful with washing as you can't wash them like regular clothes.  You have to use very little detergent, no softener, no special detergents like Dreft and no dryer sheets or anything like that.  You can find washing instructions online.

We used cloth diapers from the very beginning.  My oldest daughter we used some sposies because people gave us some but we didn't even use one package.  Cloth was so much better - less blow outs.  Our middle daughter never wore a single disposable diaper and our third daughter only used them while at Disney World.  We took cloth with us and washed while there but used sposies while actually at the park.  We used maybe 10 Seventh Generation diapers the whole trip.

I know you have to use sposies for day care which I totally understand, just letting folks know you can travel with cloth diapers.

I have a few friends who have tried the G diapers and all hated them.  I have heard they are OK with pee but horrible for holding poo but I also know changes are always being made so check reviews before buying.

We used Kissaluvs in the beginning because even my 9 pound babies were too little for small FuzziBunz for a few months.

2010-05-31 11:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
For the crib, I love the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium for the side.  It has music and lights at night, but as it winds down it gets softer and softer so there is no abrupt end to the music and the light slowly dims.

When our 7 year old was a baby, the house we lived in was extremely well insulated and you could not hear anything if you were in different rooms, so we had to use the baby monitor (not that my husband ever seemed to hear it) and I would hear him wake up, move around and then I would hear a "whack" and the music would come on and he would put himself back to sleep.  Not a peep out of him.

We also played alot of the Baby Einstein cd's with classical music and it is still our go to music during homework or when he starts to be a little amped up.  He will get in the car after school and ask us to put classical on so he can "chill" as he says it.
2010-06-01 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2893132

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
SGriepsma - 2010-05-31 11:49 PM

For the crib, I love the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium for the side.  It has music and lights at night, but as it winds down it gets softer and softer so there is no abrupt end to the music and the light slowly dims.

When our 7 year old was a baby, the house we lived in was extremely well insulated and you could not hear anything if you were in different rooms, so we had to use the baby monitor (not that my husband ever seemed to hear it) and I would hear him wake up, move around and then I would hear a "whack" and the music would come on and he would put himself back to sleep.  Not a peep out of him.

We also played alot of the Baby Einstein cd's with classical music and it is still our go to music during homework or when he starts to be a little amped up.  He will get in the car after school and ask us to put classical on so he can "chill" as he says it.

I agree on the Fisher Price Aquarium. My daughter loved it.

If you need a monitor spend the money on a nice one. I don't think you need the video feed some offer, but the nice monitors have less feedback. Some will say you don't need a monitor because you can hear them cry, but we couldn't if we were inthe furthest parts of the house from the nursery. We did use a monitor, and even if we could have heard her cry in our bedroom, we loved listening to her breath while she was sleeping. It put us to sleep. We kept the monitor in her room until she was about 2.5 just because we so loved listening to her breath.

As far as swings and bouncers and all that fun stuff goes, like others have mentioned, it's really individual to the kid. My daughter spent almost no time in her swing, and we had two. A big one and a small portable one. I'll say two things about those items. First, since we were/are planning on a second kid we kept those things that the first kid didn't use because who knows how the second will turn out. Second, there was one night that our daughter would not stop crying for hours and wouldn't go to sleep. We finally tried the swing, which she had hated all other times, and she was asleep in minutes. That one use was totally worth whatever the cost of the swing. Now that she is 3.5 she loves the saucer. It's down in the basement with all the other crap she's out grown or we never used. Whenever we go down to do laundry she pulls it out and climbs in it and plays till we head upstairs. She never used it as a little one.

I'm an tree hugger at heart/environmental scientist by schooling, but cloth diapers are just not worth it to me. I've read more then once, that the environmental benefits of not putting diapers in landfills are offset by the added detergent and other unseen costs that cloth diapers carry. The net waste maybe slightly better with cloth, but small enough that I'm not willing to put up with the hassle. Plus, non-point source pollution, such as detergent in waste water is much harder to deal with then point source pollution that would come from a landfill. At least that's how this tree hugger justifies not using them

2010-06-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2894244

User image

Pro
Houston
graceful_dave - 2010-06-01 12:21 PM
I'm an tree hugger at heart/environmental scientist by schooling, but cloth diapers are just not worth it to me. I've read more then once, that the environmental benefits of not putting diapers in landfills are offset by the added detergent and other unseen costs that cloth diapers carry. The net waste maybe slightly better with cloth, but small enough that I'm not willing to put up with the hassle. Plus, non-point source pollution, such as detergent in waste water is much harder to deal with then point source pollution that would come from a landfill. At least that's how this tree hugger justifies not using them

When justifying don't forget to ask yourself what goes into MAKING the disposable diapers - factories with emissions and the kind of waste they put into the air/water supply.   I've heard it takes more water to make the diapers than it does to wash the diapers for 2 years not sure how much truth there is to that.  Our issue is also that the temperature of a disposable diaper reaches over 100 degrees, plastic + body heat & fluid = HOT and have heard conflicting things about girly parts and heat exposure over years.
But we all do what we can when we can.  I didn't use cloth with second son, we were selling a house, moving, lots of stress etc.  You do the best you can.  Cloth isn't for everyone, breastfeeding isn't for everyone, co-sleeping isn't for everyone.  Try not to keep up with your friends/relatives/neighbors and do what is best for you and your family.

Keep boxes and receipts this way if your baby isn't a swing baby you can take it back for store credit.

2010-06-01 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2894741

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
KeriKadi - 2010-06-01 2:48 PM

graceful_dave - 2010-06-01 12:21 PM

When justifying don't forget to ask yourself what goes into MAKING the disposable diapers - factories with emissions and the kind of waste they put into the air/water supply.   I've heard it takes more water to make the diapers than it does to wash the diapers for 2 years not sure how much truth there is to that.  Our issue is also that the temperature of a disposable diaper reaches over 100 degrees, plastic + body heat & fluid = HOT and have heard conflicting things about girly parts and heat exposure over years.
But we all do what we can when we can.  I didn't use cloth with second son, we were selling a house, moving, lots of stress etc.  You do the best you can.  Cloth isn't for everyone, breastfeeding isn't for everyone, co-sleeping isn't for everyone.  Try not to keep up with your friends/relatives/neighbors and do what is best for you and your family.

Keep boxes and receipts this way if your baby isn't a swing baby you can take it back for store credit.

The articles I read included production for both disposable and cloth diapers. But I agree, do what works for you and don't worry about what other people do.
2010-06-01 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Diaper service was the best gift my friends and I gave each other when we had babies.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Moms and Dads please come in - registery help Rss Feed  

of 2