United States
Woodlake
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 35s
Overall Rank = 125/271
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/24
Pre-race routine:

Just had my normal bagel and soda for breakfast on the road. Drank some water when we were almost there. Found it a little unorganized with no numbers on the racks and everybody was allowed in the transition area so it was pretty crowded there. It was great to see all the people from Fayetteville there.
Event warmup:

Swam out to the first buoy and back. Milled around shivering until the start.
Swim
  • 14m 12s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really disappointed in my swim. I was in the first wave which I knew was not a good thing. Started out too fast and stayed with the pack (which was becoming slightly violent) until the turn. I switched to the sidestroke for a couple meters to catch my breath and collect myself. My goggles didn't fog up and my sighting was near perfect. All those silly drills in the pool payed off. I still don't like coming up the concrete boat ramp barefooted.
What would you do differently?:

Not ignore all my training and knowledge and getting caught up in the excitement of the race. Race like you train.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

While I couldn't slip in my shoes while putting on my helmet and glasses, I at least dried my feet on the towel at the same time. I took me a while to get clicked in but I was pedaling the whole time so I didn't really lose much time.

Practice multitasking for the next race.
Bike
  • 56m 10s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I was so glad I came and ran the route beforehand because if this was the first time seeing the hills, I might have cried. Knowing what's next and (more importantly) knowing coming back is easier than going out kept me going... and going strong. This was a tough course and I couldn't be happier with how I did. Since this wasn't a USAT event, there was alot of drafting going on. I wasn't fortunate enough to find someone just slightly faster than me though.

Nothing really; speed will come with time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I rode with [bare]feet on top of shoes and jumped off like I almost knew what I was doing. I then ran into the wrong row (nothing was numbered). I thought for half a second and then said screw it! I racked in an empty spot and dove underneath to get to my row. Wiped as much sand off my feet as I could (which was pretty ineffective) and put my shoes on. Unfortunately, the don't slide as easily without socks so the sole got bunched up in one shoe. I ran off and tried to wiggle it flat with my toes. Then I tried to ignore it. Finally I just stopped and fixed it.

Remember where I park. Maybe use some glue so the sole doesn't slide.
Run
  • 26m 5s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Unfortunately it was raining all last night so there was lots of mud and puddles to jump over. Really messes up your rhythm and you have to time your passing. The mileage wasn't marked so it was hard to gauge how you're doing. But other than the shoe issue I did really well. I kept reminding myself to slow down on the first half so I could make it through the second. I stopped once to fix my shoe and then I walked one of the aid stations but ran the rest of it. I was in a full on sprint for the last tenth and passed the two girls I'd been following for half the race. Seeing the finish line will make anybody smile like an idiot :)

As well as I did, I could've shaved a little more time off and sprinted earlier if I knew how far I had left.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little and killed off a gatorade. Cheered the last of the racers coming in. Had a hot dog and watched the awards ceremony and raffle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pride: I thought I could keep pace in the swim with people who had been doing this far longer than I.

Event comments:

I thought it could've been a little better organized. The spectators should not be allowed in the transition area or race area. It makes finding where you're supposed to go next more difficult. The staff and volunteers were great and couldn't have been nicer. It's great the let us come into their community and do this.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:12 | 656 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/24
Overall: 150/271
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Narrow triangular loop in a cove away from the main lake. Water was less that clear.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:10 | 17.2 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/24
Overall: 124/271
Wind: Little
Course: The first (and last) 4 miles are reasonably flat. The rest is just one hill after next. Out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:05 | 03 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/24
Overall: 173/271
Course: Out and back (with a slight detour going out) with over half of it on dirt.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes