General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital City Biathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital City Biathlon - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Illinois
United States
Springfield Triathlon Club
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 22/181
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 a.m. - waffles, some fruit, coffee and Red Bull for breakfast (a new tradition :o) ) Got gear a lined up and waited for the caravan to show up. Kathy and husband Todd arrived with Pat around 5:10 a.m. to pick me up - Bob/Chris and fam rolled in around 5:30 for gear pick-up. Hit the BP and off to Springfield.
Event warmup:

Got to race site around 7 - race start 7:30 - went and picked up registration packet and scurried back to truck to get bike and self ready - got the heart rate going just getting everything ready (glad there was a swim - don't think we would have made it! lol) Got bikes into transition - a quick 2 min jog to get heart rate up and legs loose - and headed for the start
Run
  • 23m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty solid run for me - my goal was to stay on Chris's hip for a long as I could hang - I figured if I stayed within a few minutes of him at the run finish, I should be in good position for a Top 25 finish (although secretly, I wanted a Top 20) Apparently I thought i was challenging for a Top 5 cause I took off out of the gate - looked to my left - and no Chris, uh oh...........too fast. lol I see Chris catch me on my left side and I just tucked in behind him for the first 3/4 to mile - hit mile 1 at 7:08 (my stand alone 5k first mile PR was 7:14) - wow, and I felt pretty decent..........lets see how long I can hold it? Chris started to pull away at this point and I settled in with a couple other pacers. I saw Brian and Pat at the turnaround (Clydesdales started 3 minutes in front of us) and I was within striking distance, so I pushed a little more............that was a nice carrot to have out there. I finally caught Pat with about a .5 mile to go and just as I crossed the bridge, I heard the T3 bells ringing (wow............I'm not far off Chris) As I come into transition, I see Chris just hitting the bike out mat as I grab my helmet - ok, plan executed perfectly at this point.................although I knew I had no chance to get him on the bike - I wanted to just stay as close as I could.......more to come on that below!
What would you do differently?:

Do a relay and have Gary Cates run the 5k! Other than that - notta; this was a PR 5k for me
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Time wise..............aight, I guess......goal was 30 sec.

Need to figure out a way to get clipped in quicker - struggling with my new cleats.
Bike
  • 41m 4s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok - so struggled getting clipped in, but no biggie - I got this. Got the Aerospoke on...........52nd off the run..........time to make the donuts!! As I'm picking them off one by one, I see a guy up ahead moving a barracade off to the side of the road (bout 3.5-4 miles in? I need we had to turn at some point, however, it just seemed too early. So I see him walk over to this pick-up after moving the barracde and start chatting it up - ok, maybe this isn't it.............I blow by him (I could not see any bikers in front of me or making the turn)..............HEEEEEEEEEY!! he yells - I lock them up - WTF~!!!!!!!!! I knew it dammit - no waving to turn, no signal..........just leaning in the F N pick-up truck talking. Turn around trying not to dump the bike, out of the saddle and start hammering back to the corner, make the turn and start picking off the same damn peeps I just passed..........ugh. Oh well..........that's racing, but was determined not to get passed and kept hammering away - in the end, it prolly cost me 30 sec or so between stopping, turning, comeback......etc. So I get to the turnaround in 34th.....well, got me bout 18 and I say to myself; self......you forgot to make long johns.......yep - still got more donuts to make......9 mo. Oh shit...........that was Pat........nope, not today big boy, not gonna happen...lol. See Bob on the way back in..............he was barking something at me - no idea what he said, but it didn't matter - it gave me some mo go-go juice. Started picking peeps off 1 by 1 on the way back and crossed the mat 25th, but 3 relays in front, so officially 22nd. I really like this bike course though - had a blast!

idk.............prolly yell at the guy ahead of time and see if he would have started pointing? I had time as I watched it all unfold for about 200 yards
Post race
Warm down:

Pat was right on on my heels coming across the line - spun for a few minutes and chatted it up with some folks. Took bikes over and loaded them up, got medal, watched Bob come in on the finish, got some eats and hung out for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bone head move............not sure I left anything on the table though - low to mid 22s is about where I am on the bike, and felt I had that today w/out the missed turn. Run was great for me, so no complaints there.

Event comments:

This race is a definite 'Must do' race - had an ABSOLUTE blast and glad Chris talked me into it. I will be back!! (and this time, I would need chatty cathy out there at the turn............I know where to go now - THX! lol

Last updated: 2010-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:25 | 03.1 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 52/181
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course - fairly flat with some shade. I really enjoyed this run (and I don't say that much - it's usually a death march) lol
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:41:04 | 15 miles | 21.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 18/181
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back - a few rollers, but nothing significant. Winds out of the East, but did not play a factor. Felt a little headwind for the couple mile stretch out to the turnaround
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right