United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 50s
Overall Rank = 66/380
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/33
Pre-race routine:

Set my alarm for 4:15...but only for Mon-Fri so it didn't go off on this Saturday...my father in law woke me up at 4:38 with a flashlight....thankfully he had already racked the bikes on his truck. I dressed in my 'uni', grabbed my pre-packed tri-bag, a powerbar and G2 drink and headed out with Bill driving by 4:48.

Arrived in Sea Isle about 5:20. We parked, went to pick up our packets, got numbered and set up transition. We racked our bikes beside each other near the bike in/out. Skies were overcast and the ocean did appear to be a bit rough.
Event warmup:

Once the Sea Isle lifeguards decided where we were going to start (sent us from the south flag to the north flag and then back again...) I got into the ocean with Rich and did a few strokes to loosen up and condition myself to the colder water. This was the third time in this race so I was mentally ready but I didn't realize how rough the ocean was going to be this morning.
Swim
  • 11m 23s
  • 402 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent start but it was tough getting into a groove with the tough surf. Hard to site as well as the 'flags' were white and green...no big orange floats or anything to site off of...not the best...but once I got to about the 150m mark I was able to settle in a bit..felt ok finishing...ran up the beach to transition...swim appeared to take alot out of people as many were walking through the sand...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than possibly get some more ocean swimming experience. My fitness was fine...it was a rough ocean...I only mark this below average as it was longer than I wanted...I haven't looked at the times but my ranking put me in the top 1/3 of the race so it was more an average swim probably...
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I continue to be pretty decent at transition. My T1 was faster than the guy who won my age group so I don't feel like I'm losing any time. The next step for me will be to have my bike shoes clipped onto my bike...that will take practice but will shave probably 10-20 seconds off my time.

Time to learn how to do this transition with my shoes already clipped onto the bike...then I would rock it!
Bike
  • 22m 6s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 33.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Very short ride. Course was changed due to construction so it was shifted to just 8 miles from it's original 13. Dissapointing frankly but I knew then it was going to be short and fast...so I really tried to keep a solid 20+ MPH..which I was able to do.

Averaged over 23 with a top speed of 25 on the way out but then hit the winds and it pulled me down to 20-21 avg...overall felt strong...was only passed once or twice but I passed a ton of people which was good. Even one guy on a much better bike than mine...fitness was good...and I finished 55th overall which was my best event ranking.

Not much..fitness only limited me from going even faster...If I'm going to move up next year into top 5 I need to get a bit faster..
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Pretty good transition...putting on socks took the longest...probably could have run this w/out socks...would have been under a 1 minute transiton w/out messing w/ my socks...

don't put on my socks...
Run
  • 24m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Heart rate was high coming off the bike so I tried to get it down for the first mile..so I kept my pace down to get my average into the high 160's...so that limited my pacea bit in the beginning but by the half-way point I was ready to cruise..don't know my splits but they were definately negative...

Not much...continue to train and improve fitness..
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and into transition. Met family immediately afterward.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my best race in 3 years from a pace and finish perspective. I just need to continue to train....open water swim practice would be good...

Event comments:

The only issue I had with this race was really the swim portion...of course they were looking out for our safety in the water by trying to make the start point decision based on current and conditions but frankly there were not many lifeguards supporting the 380 athletes...only two guys on jet skis..no kayaks or paddleboard lifeguards...it couldn't have been challenging if someone had gotten in trouble.

I would have liked a longer bike to challenge me more but they obviously had limitations..hope they change that for next year.

Good race to kick off the season!

Last updated: 2010-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:23 | 402 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 101/380
Performance: Below average
Suit: sprint wetsuit
Course: Point to point. Out 100m left turn to flag (200m) and then back in 100m.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:22:06 | 12.3 miles | 33.39 mile/hr
Overall: 55/380
Wind: Little
Course: Straight out and back north from Sea Isle City, NJ..smooth roads for first mile or so...then it gets a bit rough with many seams in the road...overall not too bad but not perfect..none ever are.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:02 | 03.1 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 88/380
Course: Out and back course..changed from beach run this year due to high tide and moved to the promenade and streets of Sea Isle City...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes