Element Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 52s
Overall Rank = 122/232
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Event warmup:

About an hour before the start, I jogged/stretched/jogged for about 20 minutes. About 15 minutes before the start, I got into the water for a very brief period.
Swim
  • 20m 16s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a wave start, and my wave (females under 40) wasn't that crowded. (This was quite nice after all I had read about mass swims!) There was a full line across in the front, and then people scattered behind them... which is where I was. It was an out and back course and going out I could not see the bouys far ahead because of the sun shining directly at us. So instead I just used those around me as a guide. It worked out just fine. I tried to swim in areas that avoided people. I was able to get into a rhythm, although I did stop every now and then to look ahead, many times to make sure there was no one immediately ahead of me to bump into. I got the occasional nudging, but nothing too bad.
What would you do differently?:

I could have gone harder, but not knowing what to expect in a mass swim, I'm okay with that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Went pretty smoothly I think.

I may want to avoid taking a swig of gatorade to save a few seconds. Probably could have been a bit faster doing everything. But since it was my first time, I'll give myself a break. ;)
Bike
  • 43m 15s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan of attack was just to go at it. If I burned out, oh well, it would be a lesson learned. Within the first mile I could feel my quads but just kept up the effort. There were times that I thought I should ease up a bit, but then I decided against it. There were two "big" hills which I trudged through at around miles 7.5 and 8.5. When I got to the top since I was hardly moving, I decided it would be a fine time to take in some fluids. Overall I am quite happy with my effort!

Can't really think of anything, I'm happy about this!
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Again, went pretty smoothly I think.

Same as T1.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off feeling good, and then I developed a side stitch that progressively got worse!! :( grr. I considered walking but I kept on chugging away, much of the time with my hand pressing against my side stitch to try to ease the pain. I did walk a few steps at the turn around, and also at the aid station at which point I nearly went the wrong way... which was kinda funny because the volunteers yelled at me several times to go right, but I apparently was not comprehending their words as I started to veer off to the left lol. Anyway, that was the point that the course was on grass again, and shortly thereafter a girl passed me. With not much distance left, I decided to try to keep up with her. I was able to, and towards the end I picked it up some more to finish strong. I know without a doubt if it wasn't for her, I would not have picked it up as much at the end of the run!

Because I think the side stitch was caused by eating and drinking too much before the race, I would say not eat/drink so much. I was worried about not having enough energy or not being properly hydrated during the race and I guess I overdid it. I will definitely keep this in mind in the future!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stood around, did some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Freakin side stitch!

Event comments:

I am really happy to have made this my first triathlon! Great atmosphere, and it seemed like there were people of varied abilities. It was comforting knowing there were other novices as well. Also, I had heard someone make the comment of there being a lot of 20-somethings and younger. I especially thought it was great seeing the little kids out there doing a tri!

Last updated: 2010-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:16 | 880 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 145/232
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Last minute change to out and back (due to weeds I heard.)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:15 | 12.4 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 144/232
Wind:
Course: Gently rolling hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:47 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 90/232
Performance: Average
Course: It started with a dang hill on the grass!! That was not fun! But most of the course was on pavement which was relatively flat, although there were a few small hills. It also ended on grass, maybe the last half mile or so.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-05-30 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: Island Lake Triathlon

2010-06-01 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2891022

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: RE: Island Lake Triathlon Sprint
Great first race!
2010-06-02 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2891022

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Island Lake Triathlon Sprint
Awesome job Samantha and congratulations once again!  I'm very impressed with your approach and execution of your first triathlon.  You did the right thing by taking your time on the swim and many first timers do not have the discipline to do so.  It sounds like the bike went extremely well and a 17.2 mph average is terrific!

I have 2 recommendations for you.  The first would be to practice your transition a little more and cut at least 30 seconds of each transition.  I think that will be relatively easy for you to do.  The other recommendation would be to dramatically slow down or even walk to work that cramp out on the run if it happens again.  This will help you get rid of the cramp must faster and should make your overall run time must faster than trying to fight through the cramp.  It sounds like your hydration was OK so I'm not sure what caused the cramping.  Did you go out a little too hard on the run?  I have a feeling that could have caused it.

Congrats once again Samantha!  That is one heck of a first triathlon.  Keep up the great work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Island Lake Triathlon Rss Feed