General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harvest Moon HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-30 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: Harvest Moon HIM
I just signed up for the Harvest Moon HIM - September 12th.
This will be my first "official" half.. I did the 24 hours of tri with my friend Liz last year, and did way more than the HIM mileage. It will be fun to put it all together this fall into one package.

I would love to find some riding partners to pre-ride the course a few times before the race.
I live in Colorado Springs so carpooling up to the Aurora Res would be nice.
My goal pace is 17.0 mph on the bike. I have some work to do before I can maintain that pace for 56 miles but that is the name of the game, right?

Any groups in the Aurora / Denver area that ride up there that I can tag along with?
Anyone from down here signed up?

Dee

2010-05-30 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2891158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon HIM
I did it last year for my first HIM, and I rode the course ahead of time twice. I highly recommend riding it, because those hills can be a little tough towards the end, especially if there is wind. During the race it was nice to know what was coming and when it would end!

Unfortunately, I am not signed up for it this year (I'm doing Boulder 70.3), so I don't know if I'll be riding it this year. But, I may be up for meeting for a group ride to get some mileage in. Let me know if you want to set something up.

Aimee
2010-05-30 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I did it last year, thought it was a great course.  Aimee is dead on with saying you don't want to be caught off guard with the hills in the last 1/3 of the course.  The wind can be pretty brutal out there as well... I don't remember any wind during last years race, but that could be because it was freezing (I think I finally could feel my toes again after that swim somewhere around mile 2 or 3 of the run).  The run portion is great too, couple small little rollers to start it off and a little in the end, but majority of it is flat and fast.

I'm planning on signing up for it again (using the Boulder 70.3 as a warm up for it actually, so I'll be there too Aimee).  I've already rode the course once this year, but plan on getting out there a few more times, I know some others on here have already rode it this year as well.  I'll post a message when I plan on getting over there again and perhaps you'll be able to join.  

Your best bet in the mean time is to get yourself out on some longer rides with a lot of rollers down near you.  The stronger you are at climbing the better off you'll be during those last 10miles.

2010-05-30 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2891479

User image

Denver, CO
zionvier - 2010-05-30 8:03 PM I did it last year, thought it was a great course.  Aimee is dead on with saying you don't want to be caught off guard with the hills in the last 1/3 of the course.  

Um, yeah. This. I did NOT ride the course prior to doing the race last year and remember hitting the hills starting around mile 42 or so and being like...are you freaking kidding me? That last 15 miles or so hurt. Bad. :-P I still averaged 15.4 mph on the bike, and I am NOT what you would consider fast. I was actually kind of shocked that I pulled that off, considering I probably barely averaged double digits for that last stretch!
2010-06-09 4:01 PM

User image

I would love to find some riding partners to pre-ride the course a few times before the race. I live in Colorado Springs so carpooling up to the Aurora Res would be nice.

Dee,

I am in Pueblo and will be doing Harvest Moon, also as my first official HIM-Duathlon. I will be going to ride the course early August, would happily car pool if we can arrange a mutally agreeable day.

Ron
2010-06-10 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2911789

Veteran
Colorado

I've done this race for several years (not this year though). I know you live far, but ride the course as often as possible. I went out every weekend and road the course for up to 4.5 hours. It made a huge difference in my bike speed. (I maintained just over 17mph but in previous years came in around 16ish).

The difficulty of this race is that you have hills at the beginning and at the end with the middle section being "mostly" flat. The out portion (towards Bennett) decreases in elevation. So on the return, not only are you going up and down hills but overall you are increasing elevation. 

Have fun and be prepared for crazy weather. I've been freezing cold (as someone else mentioned) and super hot.

But, I do enjoy the race. I think it's well organized and just plain fun.

Have fun!

2010-06-10 11:57 PM

User image

Loveland
i want to do this one soooooooooooo bad, but cant pull the trigger. i'm just being a wimp about it.
2010-06-11 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2914925

User image

New user
Come on Jason, once you pull the trigger your training will kick up a notch!
2010-06-11 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains

There's been a good bunch of us that have been using the course, or parts of it as prep for KS HIM, CDA, Boise, and a couple of other hillier courses.

It's good to go.  As Without Limits has pointed out, be careful out there, as we have a "decent" relationship with the residence out there.  NEedless to say, not everyone is a fan of us out there.

I'm sure that we will still be training out there, as well as riding parts of the course to get further East past Straussburg.  Stay tuned.

2010-06-11 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2915699

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
odanelli - 2010-06-11 9:53 AM

There's been a good bunch of us that have been using the course, or parts of it as prep for KS HIM, CDA, Boise, and a couple of other hillier courses.

It's good to go.  As Without Limits has pointed out, be careful out there, as we have a "decent" relationship with the residence out there.  NEedless to say, not everyone is a fan of us out there.

I'm sure that we will still be training out there, as well as riding parts of the course to get further East past Straussburg.  Stay tuned.

Unfortunately this is true.  Last year while training by myself I had a beat up old pickup truck throw a hot wing out the window at me as they drove past.  Unfortunately it was already eaten, otherwise I could have used the calories.  Other than that one truck that one time out of three rides out there, everyone else was friendly, they'd move over and give me my 3+ feet.  

2010-06-18 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the heads up about the hills near the end of the course. Thankfully I live in the NW corner of Colorado Springs so all I ride are hills, hills, and more hills. I have to go looking if I want a flattish road ride.

I am looking at doing few training days at the Aurora Reservoir - a nice long ride on the course, and hopefully some open water swimming while I'm there.
Sunday July 11th
Saturday Aug 21st or Sunday Aug 22nd
Those are the dates /weekends that are pretty concrete.

I will post a time for July 11th so if anyone wants to ride the course with me let me know!

Dee

2010-08-24 2:51 PM

User image

New user
Going for a ride Saturday morning, ~6am, parking at the track.  Looking at going at a 3-3:15ish pace.  , just sayin : )  
2010-09-09 11:00 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Is there anyone in the Fort Collins area that wants to carpool down Sunday morning?

Ciao,
Aaron
2010-09-13 10:54 AM

User image

New user
I know it must have been hot out there for the run, but man, it doesn't get any nicer than a slight tailwind heading west on Quincy, great day and I hope everyone had a good race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harvest Moon HIM Rss Feed